Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
  • Banned
I have a NEBO rechargeable light which has been stored in a molle pouch on tailgate.

I installed a USB adapter and plugged it into the cigarette lighter outlet in the cargo area. From there, I plugged in the light so it charges everytime I turn the Jeep on and drive.(many times I've gone to use the light and it's been dead or nearly from sitting).

What's puzzling me is - Jeep is completely off and the alarm set....but the adapter light is on and so is the red charging indicator light on the flashlight(?).

Is it charging while Jeep is off?

Will it drain the battery?

Attached is a photo showing this taken outside the rear window glass about 10mins after the Jeep has been off.
20191014_172110.jpg
Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I believe the rear 12 volt outlet is "always on"--so, technically, yes, it could drain your battery. The amount of power that small LED Light pulls though is unlikely, but, you never know.

You're better off getting another 12V adapter and wiring it to one of the wires under your dash if you have aux buttons.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I know on my '20 Rubi that outlet in back is on all the time - which for me is ideal. (but the one up front is not)

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
correct, the rear cargo 12v outlet is allways on. the front 12v on the dash is on when the jl is running. unless you have the bypass wire. as for the usb on the dash, i assume that the jl has to be runn9ng in order to charge. i havent check tha tout. what i do notice with usb port is that it charges very slowly. i've used it a coulpe of times to charge up my cellphone from 25% to full. it takes 3+ hrs where if i charge it from the 12v which takes 45 or so mins.

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
  • Banned
I believe the rear 12 volt outlet is "always on"--so, technically, yes, it could drain your battery. The amount of power that small LED Light pulls though is unlikely, but, you never know.

You're better off getting another 12V adapter and wiring it to one of the wires under your dash if you have aux buttons.
Interesting...why would they do that?

Wonder if theres an auto-shutoff if the battery voltage drops to much(my blackvue dashcam have that feature while in "park mode").

Sponsored

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
  • Banned
correct, the rear cargo 12v outlet is allways on. the front 12v on the dash is on when the jl is running. unless you have the bypass wire. as for the usb on the dash, i assume that the jl has to be runn9ng in order to charge. i havent check tha tout. what i do notice with usb port is that it charges very slowly. i've used it a coulpe of times to charge up my cellphone from 25% to full. it takes 3+ hrs where if i charge it from the 12v which takes 45 or so mins.
Do you have a Samsung phone?

I need to use the outlet with the samsung fast charger adapter to charge my phone.

USB is useless for the phone.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have a NEBO rechargeable light which has been stored in a molle pouch on tailgate.

I installed a USB adapter and plugged it into the cigarette lighter outlet in the cargo area. From there, I plugged in the light so it charges everytime I turn the Jeep on and drive.(many times I've gone to use the light and it's been dead or nearly from sitting).

What's puzzling me is - Jeep is completely off and the alarm set....but the adapter light is on and so is the red charging indicator light on the flashlight(?).

Is it charging while Jeep is off?

Will it drain the battery?

Attached is a photo showing this taken outside the rear window glass about 10mins after the Jeep has been off.
20191014_172110.jpg
I have the same setup and my light has never encountered dead battery. I believe you can set the behaviour of the rear 12v outlet to be either ignition or always on by moving between fuse 81 and 91.
C19F8141-1FC0-45DB-8EE9-3941E41AC3BA.jpeg

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
  • Banned
I have the same setup and my light has never encountered dead battery. I believe you can set the behaviour of the rear 12v outlet to be either ignition or always on by moving between fuse 81 and 91.
WOW!!!!!!!!

I love this guy!! THANK YOU!!

Just made my day!!!

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Yep!!

This is confirmed just did it!!

So cool...thanks again!!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

I need to use the outlet with the samsung fast charger adapter to charge my phone.

yeah, samsung j6 luna pro. nothing fancy. mostly calls, camera, and little text. plain and simple

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC

My Samsung 8 9 and 10 all charge just fine. I use the center console usb mostly

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
does it charge slower then charging it on a 12v .

OP
OP
¤|||||||¤

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I'm sure it charges, but very slowly without using the actual "fast charger".(well, I'm certain because I have the S10+ lol)

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I'm sure it charges, but very slowly without using the actual "fast charger".(well, I'm certain because I have the S10+ lol)
Of course it won't charge as fast as the Fast Charger will. But it's no slower than any USB.
I use Fast Charging with Anker or Samsung induction chargers at home and in my motorhome.
I can deal with standard charging rates in my Jeep.
I'm not sure but I believe the fast wired chargers use more than 2 of the conductors.
Sponsored