Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Hi everyone,

We'd like to gather some feedback on our JL Stealth Snorkel design prior to prototyping:

PrecisionResearch JL Stealth Snorkel 001.jpg

We've got a high flow airpath that has been CFD designed to provide optimized airflow, minimal turns and bends, and has the correct plenum effect offset for unobstructed engine power output on both the 3.6L and the 2.0T JL's.

PrecisionResearch JL Stealth Snorkel 002.jpg

Our JL Stealth Snorkel is invisible from the driver's perspective, completely hidden behind the A pillar - hence the "Stealth".

PrecisionResearch JL Stealth Snorkel 005.jpg

Our JL Stealth Snorkel doesn't add to overall vehicle height so that you can still get into your garage if you're lifted and also includes JL roof drip rails extension to channel water forwards and onto the edge of the windshield instead of dripping into the interior.

PrecisionResearch JL Stealth Snorkel 004.jpg

Aerodynamically designed so that there will be minimal wind noise - the trailing edge of the snorkel completes a kamm tail to minimize drag and eliminate wind buffeting with the passenger side window cracked open.

PrecisionResearch JL Stealth Snorkel 003.jpg

Please let us know if you have any requests and/or feedback,

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
So onto the nuts and bolts of things:

So we've got funding and we've done snorkels for other companies before so we know how to do this and have the means to take this to market.

Its not a bad thing to have had some experience designing snorkels for other entities, but the lessons learned in the past:

01. Don't ever announce anything until you're close, or if its stuck on a step then try and complete all other steps after whatever step you're stuck on.

02. Get all of the relevant patents first. And internationally. Some of the bigger players in the market would know what I'm talking about. In this case our air/water separator assembly and exterior design.

03. Funding depends on design completion. Which is where we're at right now.

04. And always always quote double the lead time of whatever you got going on especially on the first production batch, so... we're realistically another month away from completing the prototyping and then another two months out from production after that. With that being said, lets assume double that at least: lets assume that we're at least 3 months away from small batching these and then maybe when its already warmed up we'll have general availability cause in my opinion no one wants to try out their brand new snorkel in the middle of winter.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Not for me, but looks like a nice design. Are you going to do anything to make it more aesthetically pleasing? To me, the lower box on the cowl looks pretty bland.

Material? HDPE?
Drilling or cutting required?
Estimated price point?
New airbox under the hood or does it work with the factory box?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Material?
I don't know yet as we're not ready for production yet, but as we get closer we'll probably settle on some sort of cross-linked polyethylene with a strengthening additive and then passivated for UV resistance. We haven't ruled out colored additives either yet, though color matching per batch will probably be interesting.

Drilling or cutting required?
The goal of going through the cowl piece is so that there should be no cutting required at least, but the design goals towards the windshield frame are currently no drilling required either.

New airbox under the hood or does it work with the factory box?
OE intake box because of CARB. Not pictured but you can already guess that the under hood ducting runs from the cowl piece to the OE intake box.

Are you going to do anything to make it more aesthetically pleasing? To me, the lower box on the cowl looks pretty bland.
The logo and a light/aux/acc mounting system goes there:

PrecisionResearch JL Stealth Snorkel 006.jpg

Estimated price point?
We're hoping to start somewhere around the $500 range and then lets say if we're including a light bar or visor piece then it'll go up from there.

When dressed in full regalia:

PrecisionResearch JL Stealth Snorkel 007.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.