Sky One Touch - Normal?

brbutler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 6-speed, 2016 VW GTI 6-speed, 1984 Porsche 928S 5-speed
I have an August 2019 build 2020 Saraha with the Sky One Touch top, and have noticed what looks like black RTV sealant at all 4 corners of the trim/ weather stripping along the canvas top. Is this typical from the factory, or a post-build "QC fix" for a problem area? Or is this something I should have the dealer address? I was kind of surprised to see this on a factory fresh vehicle.

Also, at the corners of all 4 doors, it looks like cut foam has been inserted, presumably to combat wind noise issues.

This is all as delivered on a factory order (i.e. it has not been to the dealer for any "fixes). I'm presuming the factory is applying some of these "fixes" to preemptively address future complaints. There are no leaks and no excessive wind noise. Anyone else have this from the factory? Looks amateurish.

IMG_6427.jpg
IMG_6428.jpg
IMG_6429.jpg
IMG_6430.jpg
IMG_6431.jpg
IMG_6432.jpg
IMG_6433.jpg
IMG_6434.jpg
IMG_6435.jpg
IMG_6436.jpg
IMG_6437.jpg
Sponsored

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
I am going out on a limb, but I would say that isn't normal. You are exactly right! It looks rushed and I am surprised no leaks or noise!

Have you had it though a car wash?

Love that color though...

I bet you Jeepcares will get with you on that...

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Looks exactly like the stuff we get off the rear window seals too. On a hot day .... leave your JEEP outside and either wipe off or redistribute....seems to be a JEEP thing.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Looks exactly like the stuff we get off the rear window seals too. On a hot day .... leave your JEEP outside and either wipe off or redistribute....seems to be a JEEP thing.
+1. It is a bit of excess butyl sealant. It retains a sticky putty-like consistency for life. Just use an old credit card to neaten it up.

Frustration

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19-JLU
yes it's sealant...
No. that doesnt look like anything Ive seen on a properly built unit.

That looks like an "oh shit, lets fix this and get it out the door" done at the dealer... Ive not seen anything that poorly done.

I would run that back and look at a few other units on the lot and then tell them to pull everything and build it right.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have an August 2019 build 2020 Saraha with the Sky One Touch top, and have noticed what looks like black RTV sealant at all 4 corners of the trim/ weather stripping along the canvas top. Is this typical from the factory, or a post-build "QC fix" for a problem area? Or is this something I should have the dealer address? I was kind of surprised to see this on a factory fresh vehicle.

Also, at the corners of all 4 doors, it looks like cut foam has been inserted, presumably to combat wind noise issues.

This is all as delivered on a factory order (i.e. it has not been to the dealer for any "fixes). I'm presuming the factory is applying some of these "fixes" to preemptively address future complaints. There are no leaks and no excessive wind noise. Anyone else have this from the factory? Looks amateurish.

IMG_6427.jpg
IMG_6428.jpg
IMG_6429.jpg
IMG_6430.jpg
IMG_6431.jpg
IMG_6432.jpg
IMG_6433.jpg
IMG_6434.jpg
IMG_6435.jpg
IMG_6436.jpg
IMG_6437.jpg
Hi brbutler,
We're sorry to learn about your concern on your new JL. Have you had the opportunity to have your dealer look into this? Please keep us updated. If additional support is needed, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

afterdarq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the foam kit that attaches to sky one touch itself? It falls in right in the muckets that are rubber. I've highlighted it in yellow on the pics. Overall the quality of the foam cutouts and seals is pretty horrendous on the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch - Normal? IMG_6436

IMG_6437 (1).jpg

DSMJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the foam kit that attaches to sky one touch itself? It falls in right in the muckets that are rubber. I've highlighted it in yellow on the pics. Overall the quality of the foam cutouts and seals is pretty horrendous on the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch - Normal? IMG_6437 (1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch - Normal? IMG_6437 (1)
I know this is an old post but any luck ever finding this? Removed all of mine to repaint and needing to replaced and striking out on finding

afterdarq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
I know this is an old post but any luck ever finding this? Removed all of mine to repaint and needing to replaced and striking out on finding
Yes, I believe it is this one https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-foam-side-rail-flange~68477490aa.html

However, I haven't actually put them on and have been without them for months, because I am not sure how to :). I will probably attempt it once it gets a bit warmer, but if you manage to do it properly I would appreciate some pictures and instructions so that I don't have to figure it out from scratch. Here are some pics of the bag I got, it has some weird things in it (that blue thing especially).

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch - Normal? IMG_0218

Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch - Normal? IMG_0216

DSMJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Yes, I believe it is this one https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-foam-side-rail-flange~68477490aa.html

However, I haven't actually put them on and have been without them for months, because I am not sure how to :). I will probably attempt it once it gets a bit warmer, but if you manage to do it properly I would appreciate some pictures and instructions so that I don't have to figure it out from scratch. Here are some pics of the bag I got, it has some weird things in it (that blue thing especially).

Awesome, Thank you! I just sent the top to the body shop for paint so as soon as I get it back I will let you know how it goes and take some pictures.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

That looks like it was done by FNG on a friday