Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Sealevel now but possibly moving to Colorado lol. What does altitude affect?
Since a move to CO may be on the table, I'll change my advice.

Don't bother regearing stock axles. Get upgraded axles and step up one notch on the axle ratio choice.

Once you get on the trails here you'll get hooked and want to do more. You'll want the extra strength of Rubicon or aftermarket axles and the 4.88s will help with crawling.
Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It just depends on your level of tolerance for performance. I would daresay I am in the very small minority of JL owners who has re-geared twice and changed tire sizes twice and has been in a multitude of use cases to be able to see how a 3.6L/ZF8/JLU performs with that variation of gearing and tire sizes.
As you know there are many factors that come in to play when matching the right gear ratio with performance; wheel/tire weight, tire PSI, tire tread type, tire width, Jeep weight, engine torque, transmission type, altitude, terrain, axle type, etc. etc. It sounds like you have found the combination that works well for your scenario but for the average JL I feel the tire size to ratio matches you have listed are numerically a little high.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
How is it not a factory warranty? It's a product sold by Chrysler or whatever the hell they are called nowadays. I have the MaxCare lifetime warranty on my Ram and it covers almost everything as long as not damaged by modifications, even shocks. A guy on the Moparts forum recently got his engine replaced at 330k miles, albeit a reman. Still, that's a hell of a deal. They replaced the transmission at 250k miles. deductible is $100. No longer offered though.
It is an extended warranty. Like I said I’m not sure what the fine print says, but I doubt the Magnussen-Moss act protects you if the fine print excludes upgrades. Sure there’s the small minority that make out ok with extended warranties but there’sa reason they sell them, and it’s not to lose money.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not to beat you up, but if memory serves, you are running 4.10s and 37's so I have to ask, how would you know?

As I said, it all boils down to your tolerance for performance (or the lack thereof).
I am running 4.10s on one of my JLs with 37s and as I have said before...it works just fine. Once I upgrade the axles I'll run something a little higher.

Last edited:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I am running 4.10s on one of my JLs with 37s and as I have said before...it works just fine. :) I also have 5.13 on one Jeep and it sucks.
What Jeep sucks with 5.13s? What transmission? What tire combo? Literally everyone with first-hand experience with multiple tire/gear combos ON THE JL agree whole-heartedly with @CarbonSteel and his recommendations.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Yes.

Don’t believe the side wall. Measure yourself to see how tall your tires really are. Id go 4.56 or 4.88 with a Tazer to tell the computer.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
It is an extended warranty. Like I said I’m not sure what the fine print says, but I doubt the Magnussen-Moss act protects you if the fine print excludes upgrades. Sure there’s the small minority that make out ok with extended warranties but there’sa reason they sell them, and it’s not to lose money.
Yes, extended factory warranty sold and serviced by Jeep dealers. I am not disagreeing with you but if you have a dealership perform certain mods that are Mopar parts the warranty would remain unless it's an extreme change. I hope I never have to use my $2400 warranty but if the transmission goes out, that is probably a $6k repair. No doubt they make money (especially on the shorter term plans) but they canceled the lifetime warranty for a reason.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
1. RPMs with 5.13 and a BFG 37 is too high.
2. The teeth on a 5.13 are too small and break too easy. Ask me how I know...
3. You seem to be the only person that agrees with him and visa versa.
So 0 experience with different gear setups in the JL, just like I thought.

Have you seen a 5.13 pinion for the 220 axle? Held it in your hands? It ain’t the same as former D44s. I would even consider 5.38s with taller 37s. The RPMs are fantastic with Nitto 37s and 5.13s.

Once again you’re speaking from a position of complete ignorance.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
1. What are the RPMs and what is too high? I am running between between 2300 and 2400 at highway speeds running 5.13s and BFG 37s.

2. So you have broken a 5.13 pinion on a Dana 44 Advantek axle?
No, he thinks his experience with older model Jeeps translates to the JL, it doesn’t.