Shift points

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
There are a lot of vague answers out there. I am looking to see if the Tazer will adjust shift points. I see moving to 35s on my Rubicon keeps it in 7th for the most part. Will recalibration to the correct tire size get 8th back?

I see through country programmer at Quadratec says it will calibrate shift points.

Which of these would be better?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
No the Tazer does not adjust shift points, on the JL it adjust automatically but it’s based on the programmed tire size so if you don’t correct your tire size after changing from factory the shift points will be off alittle.

I used to run a Tazer and after I sold it off I ran with uncorrected tire size and my speedo was off by 5 mph and of course the average mpg was off as well since it’s based off correct tire size and speedo but recently had my favorite local shop here in Houston correct my tire size and lower my tpms limits and to be honest I cant tell a difference in the shifting so maybe it was off such a tiny amount I never noticed

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As @Chocolate Thunder advised when you jumped up to 35’s you lose that 8th gear and that’s due to the additional rolling mass, it’s not so much the weight as it is the mass and when you add steel bumpers, winch etc... it’s even worst.

I currently have my tire size corrected and am running 35’s along with a steel front bumper with winch and don’t see 8th gear much at all but that’s ok, i would never recoup the investment of a regear so I chose not to do it

OP
OP

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Thanks for the answers everyone.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I hit 8th all the time with factory 4.10's and 38's, because of the correct type size updated with the Tazer. It does downshift to 7th quicker than it did fully stock on factory 33's, when wanting to maintain speed pulling a grade on the highway. Shift points are now correct and driveability is like factory.

A shorter gearset would be the icing on the cake, as far as raising the rpm at a given speed in a given gear. That would help carry it the final distance over the goal line of being able to hold 8th longer and a bit more pull at any speed and gear.

RIVICON

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2006 Tacoma, 1991 Z28 406ci Turbski
Bringing this thread back to life to share my experience with transmission shift points. My wife's 2020 JLUR has been lifted 2.5" with 35's. I recalibrated the speedo using the Jscan app, bypass cable and a Vlinker MC+ bluetooth OBD adapter. We recently made a roundtrip to PA from Florida and the speedo and GPS were dead on, however, I noticed the shift points were off. I seemed to have lost 8th gear on the highway and sometimes it would hang in 6th or 7th gear on a flat road. I'd either have to let off the throttle a little or do it manually to get into the next gear. It seemed to be a chore instead of a road trip. Well yesterday I was tooling around in Jscan and saw a TCM module(Transmission Control) and there was an option to reset shift adaptations. I reset it so that the transmission can relearn driving habits and shifts points. I went for a test drive on the highway and lo and behold I got my 8th gear back. Not only that but it shifts way better and doesnt hunt for gears. I'm assuming the adaptation that was in there was learned for the factory 32" tires and now it's relearning for the 35" tires. I'm not sure if the Tazer has this option but anyone having shifting issues might look into resetting TCM shift adaptions.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I assume this is under modules and not under adaptations sections

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does anyone know if unpluging the tcm from power will reset the adaptive learning also? Or is there a procedure for doing this?

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Does anyone know if unpluging the tcm from power will reset the adaptive learning also? Or is there a procedure for doing this?
I used to pull the fuse for the TCM on my old grand Cherokee.

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Bringing this thread back to life to share my experience with transmission shift points. My wife's 2020 JLUR has been lifted 2.5" with 35's. I recalibrated the speedo using the Jscan app, bypass cable and a Vlinker MC+ bluetooth OBD adapter. We recently made a roundtrip to PA from Florida and the speedo and GPS were dead on, however, I noticed the shift points were off. I seemed to have lost 8th gear on the highway and sometimes it would hang in 6th or 7th gear on a flat road. I'd either have to let off the throttle a little or do it manually to get into the next gear. It seemed to be a chore instead of a road trip. Well yesterday I was tooling around in Jscan and saw a TCM module(Transmission Control) and there was an option to reset shift adaptations. I reset it so that the transmission can relearn driving habits and shifts points. I went for a test drive on the highway and lo and behold I got my 8th gear back. Not only that but it shifts way better and doesnt hunt for gears. I'm assuming the adaptation that was in there was learned for the factory 32" tires and now it's relearning for the 35" tires. I'm not sure if the Tazer has this option but anyone having shifting issues might look into resetting TCM shift adaptions.
@RIVICON, how has the transmission shifting felt now that it’s been a couple weeks since you reset the TCM shift points? Still consistently going into 8th gear?

RIVICON

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RIVICON, how has the transmission shifting felt now that it’s been a couple weeks since you reset the TCM shift points? Still consistently going into 8th gear?
It's still shifting good. I did notice that it wont go into 8th gear on the highway when I have more people in the jeep which is understandable since there's more mass to move but on country roads it's shifting great.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It's still shifting good. I did notice that it wont go into 8th gear on the highway when I have more people in the jeep which is understandable since there's more mass to move but on country roads it's shifting great.
I still have yet to try this…I just never think of doing it as I’m not in JSCAN that often anymore.

RIVICON

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still have yet to try this…I just never think of doing it as I’m not in JSCAN that often anymore.
Yeah me neither. Eventually I'll upgrade to 37's and go in there again.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah me neither. Eventually I'll upgrade to 37's and go in there again.
If I went to 37’s I would surly have to regear plus beef up my brakes.
Sponsored