Selec-trac question - does it "lock"??

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hi everyone, newbie here, I searched the threads but couldn't find this specifically. I'm ready to buy a '19 JLU, waffling between which t-case to go with. Wife and I love auto 4WD for highway trips (we're in Montana) where it's intermittent dry pavement, icy hills, spotty snowpack, etc.

BUT........my 2011 Ram 1500 transfer case is a pile of crap when I'm stuck in snow, mud. Even in "4WD Lock" it engages and dis-engages constantly. Sounds like the drivetrain is literally going to fall out of it.

I do not want that in a jeep. So does the Selec-trac case actually lock the two outputs together in "4H Part Time" position, or will it act like my ram and bang in and out depending on wheel spin?

Thanks!!! Great forum here.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
In addition to 4Auto, the MP3022 has a 4H part time that electronically "locks" the clutch packs (no center differential) to provide a 50/50 split, as well as 4L

OP
OP
8flat

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
In addition to 4Auto, the MP3022 has a 4H part time that electronically "locks" the clutch packs (no center differential) to provide a 50/50 split, as well as 4L
Thanks. Although I'm not real trusting of that because my ram is technically supposed to do the same thing but it doesn't work well. In practice, does the 3022 lock up solid and stay locked, even when getting thrashed on? I'm sorta tough on things when I'm stuck. haha

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Not sure that this helps to answer your question at all, but I drove through about 6-8 inches of snow with packed snow/ice under it up a slight incline. Couldn't make it in 2H, but shifted to 4H Auto and had zero problems. Felt smooth the whole time.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
No guarnteeshere iether, but I've used it several times and its been smooth so smooth I couldn't tell when it was going in or out other than i made up the grades with no apparent wheel spin.

Once a steep, slick muddy road, 2 wheel didn't come close to making it. The other a short steep gravelly incline backing up a heavy commercial wood chipper.

Maybe they got it right.

Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I'm in Phoenix and use my selec-trac whenever I'm doing extended highway driving, the drive up to high elevation from here is often a site for accidents due to switchbacks and road condition changes.

Right after Christmas we drove up specifically to go see some snow (a Phoenix tradition). One of the first squalls hit in a relatively narrow band such that we went from dry to icy conditions very rapidly. Two cars had spun out and were in the median. At no time do I hear what the jeep is doing, but felt in excellent control. Later that night we had packed icy conditions and I switched to 4 hi. By the morning it was back to intermittent conditions, so I used the selectrac.

I also was caught in a sudden downpour (in the summer) and had heavy water suddenly on the road and had excellent control.

I use it whenever it rains here because we have poor drainage on the roads down here and can go months between storms.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks. Although I'm not real trusting of that because my ram is technically supposed to do the same thing but it doesn't work well. In practice, does the 3022 lock up solid and stay locked, even when getting thrashed on? I'm sorta tough on things when I'm stuck. haha
Because it clutch-based, it's certainly possible that they worn out over time, and that's why your Ram won't stay locked

OP
OP
8flat

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Because it clutch-based, it's certainly possible that they worn out over time, and that's why your Ram won't stay locked
Well, it's done it since it was brand new. Just never worked right, and I've heard from others on the ram forum that had the same issue. Basically, it just doesn't lock and stay locked, so it behaves like auto 4WD no matter what you do. Back wheels spin, it engages the front. After a second or two, it dis-engages the front. Repeat, repeat. Works fine going down the road, but if you're stuck in 3ft of snow it sounds like a train wreck, haha.
Thanks for all the responses.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Sounds like the electric motor isn't engaging properly. If that had been my Ram, the dealership would have gotten that repaired or I would have filed lemon law on it. It should not behave that way. Once the pawl of the electric motor engages fully in 4-lock, it should not pop out again.

OP
OP
8flat

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sounds like the electric motor isn't engaging properly. If that had been my Ram, the dealership would have gotten that repaired or I would have filed lemon law on it. It should not behave that way. Once the pawl of the electric motor engages fully in 4-lock, it should not pop out again.
I know, it sucks. FCA just shrugged their shoulders, according to everyone on the ram forums I saw talking about it. This is how the rams came for at least a few model years from what I'm told. ON a good note, my pickup now has 191K on it and no other problems, which is amazing, I figured that clutch or the entire t-case would have exploded by now, haha. You wouldn't believe how bad it sounds when I'm stuck, that poor drivetrain gets HAMMERED with the constant in/out process.
One problem has been trying to demonstrate it for the dealers to even get them to understand what it's doing.

One question, how is this actually working when you describe the pawl? I thought the system was just simply activating an electric-operated clutch in the t-case, so in 4WD lock it simply keeps the clutch activated constantly. I may be wrong. Does the MP3022 actually use a pawl so it doesn't rely on the clutch trying to hold both driveshafts locked together? If so, that's good news. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
8flat

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
They must have addressed the issue because my 2016 ram works great, stays locked and no clanking or clunking, interesting, I wonder what they might of changed?
No idea what the fix was. And yeah, I seem to recall someone on the forums saying this issue was only for a few model yrs.

It seems as if it could all have been rectified in software by simply leaving the clutch in the active, or locked, state. Knowing FCA they didn't want to do that because they wanted to reduce warranty issues from drivetrain binding when dumb ram owners put it in 4wd lock while on dry pavement, etc. Who knows.
Sponsored