Secondary Battery

ERC4

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2019 M5, 2017 LX570
We've got a 2021 Unlimited Sahara Altitude with the 3.6L eTorque engine. I just replaced our primary battery at 22,000 miles. My understanding is that we also have a secondary battery since we have the stop/start system. Is there a need to replace this now or just wait till it dies on it's own?
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You don't have the aux battery with etorque. You have a large 48v battery mounted under the Jeep on the driver's side. Technically your 12v battery is the secondary battery as there is no alternator. The 48v battery is charged via the belt start generator and it charges the 12v battery via a DC to DC inverter. This battery is considered part of the emissions system and is covered by a minimum 8y/80k mile warranty because of this. Only the non-etorque models get the little 12v aux battery for start stop.

OP
OP

ERC4

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2019 M5, 2017 LX570
You don't have the aux battery with etorque. You have a large 48v battery mounted under the Jeep on the driver's side. Technically your 12v battery is the secondary battery as there is no alternator. The 48v battery is charged via the belt start generator and it charges the 12v battery via a DC to DC inverter. This battery is considered part of the emissions system and is covered by a minimum 8y/80k mile warranty because of this. Only the non-etorque models get the little 12v aux battery for start stop.
That's what I was hoping to hear. I very much appreciate your help.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That's what I was hoping to hear. I very much appreciate your help.
It's confusing when people say things like "if you have stop start you have 2 batteries". Technically true, but it's either 2x12v batteries without etorque or a 48v battery and a 12V battery with etorque.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
It's confusing when people say things like "if you have stop start you have 2 batteries". Technically true, but it's either 2x12v batteries without etorque or a 48v battery and a 12V battery with etorque.
It's a common misconception that Aux is a "Start/Stop Battery" since it showed up when Start/Stop did. But it's not. Aux is an electronics and communications battery that is isolated during engine starts to provide clean stable power to the electronics and communications network.

If you have an eTorque or 4XE battery, those batteries can and do provide the electronics with clean stable power during engine starts. So an Aux battery is unnecessary.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It's a common misconception that Aux is a "Start/Stop Battery" since it showed up when Start/Stop did. But it's not. Aux is an electronics and communications battery that is isolated during engine starts to provide clean stable power to the electronics and communications network.

If you have an eTorque or 4XE battery, those batteries can and do provide the electronics with clean stable power during engine starts. So an Aux battery is unnecessary.
Kind of semantics at that point, it's not the starting battery, but the one that provides power during all those start/stop events. It wasn't necessary when your vehicle started once per trip.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kind of semantics at that point, it's not the starting battery, but the one that provides power during all those start/stop events. It wasn't necessary when your vehicle started once per trip.
It wasn't necessary on the JK which has MUCH less reliance on the electronics. The JL is the most drive-by-wire vehicle Jeep has produced. Combine that with the Wrangler being the most owner customized vehicle there is and it becomes apparent why they took an extra step to insure cleanly powered electronics.

It has nothing to do with Auto Stop/Start.

RubiconOO7

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR, 2015 BMW X5M
Appreciate the knowledge and input assistance here.. Won't lie, I've heard this so many different ways in regards to the "Primary" 12v Battery and the "Secondary / AUX" Mini 12v Battery that is supposedly under the Passenger Firewall area in the Engine compartment.

Last I'd heard was that only the 4xe and the 2.0L 4 cylinder had the 48v battery and that the 3.6L V6 eTorque had the Primary 12v and AUX 12v Battery.

I have a 2023 JL Rubicon with the 3.6L eTorque. So which Battery combination do we have with this Engine?

On a side note, I use a 12v Battery charger / tender as I don't drive it much, I'm guessing that this would only charge the main 12v Battery then and not the 48v Battery.

-Thanks..

IMG_7286.jpeg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

The aux battery is a Stop/Start and only a Stop/Start battery from all the evidence I see, what is your evidence to the contrary?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Appreciate the knowledge and input assistance here.. Won't lie, I've heard this so many different ways in regards to the "Primary" 12v Battery and the "Secondary / AUX" Mini 12v Battery that is supposedly under the Passenger Firewall area in the Engine compartment.

Last I'd heard was that only the 4xe and the 2.0L 4 cylinder had the 48v battery and that the 3.6L V6 eTorque had the Primary 12v and AUX 12v Battery.

I have a 2023 JL Rubicon with the 3.6L eTorque. So which Battery combination do we have with this Engine?

On a side note, I use a 12v Battery charger / tender as I don't drive it much, I'm guessing that this would only charge the main 12v Battery then and not the 48v Battery.

-Thanks..

Jeep Wrangler JL Secondary Battery IMG_7286
All etorque setups are the same. 48v primary battery under the drivers side opposite the fuel tank. Belt start generator that charges at 48v. The 12v battery is charged by the 48v battery. Using a battery tender on the 12v is still a good practice as it's standard lead/acid configuration with discharge over time. The 48v battery is a lithium ion pack and will hold a charge for a very long time so there's no need to worry about it. The 4xe is an entirely different set up that has a massive battery under the rear seat, charges vis plug in and/or regenerative braking, and I believe operates around 400v.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The JL Starting - Charging System wiring diagram. Aux is only powering the electronics, communication and relay controls.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/STARTING_CHARGING-SYSTEM---2.2L---ESS.pdf
But claiming it has nothing to do with the addition of stop/start is burying your head in the sand. When you're vehicles starting battery is going to start the vehicle 50 times a day, the odds of its voltage dipping enough that the sensitive electronics may have issues goes way up. That is why they added the dedicated battery to run those electronics independent of the constantly under heavy load in town starting battery. The electronics have always been sensitive. Killed a pcm in my 89 xj from low voltage caused by repeated long winch pulls. Are the new electronics more sensitive to voltage drop? I'm guessing no as our 2019 etorque had the 4LO 12v charging issue many have had, dropping as low as 9v a few times to the point it had to sit for hours before the 48v battery put enough juice back in to start and run with no ill effect on the electronics for 40k+ miles after that. The fact is the aux battery was added because of the ESS period.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But claiming it has nothing to do with the addition of stop/start is burying your head in the sand. When you're vehicles starting battery is going to start the vehicle 50 times a day, the odds of its voltage dipping enough that the sensitive electronics may have issues goes way up. That is why they added the dedicated battery to run those electronics independent of the constantly under heavy load in town starting battery. The electronics have always been sensitive. Killed a pcm in my 89 xj from low voltage caused by repeated long winch pulls. Are the new electronics more sensitive to voltage drop? I'm guessing no as our 2019 etorque had the 4LO 12v charging issue many have had, dropping as low as 9v a few times to the point it had to sit for hours before the 48v battery put enough juice back in to start and run with no ill effect on the electronics for 40k+ miles after that. The fact is the aux battery was added because of the ESS period.
I don't see it that way because engine starts aren't particularly hard on AGM/Lead-Acid batteries. It's always a large sudden discharge followed by an immediate recharge. That's the AGM/Lead-Acid wheelhouse, it's the best kind of battery for those functions.

What is also new are OEM proximity keys, remote start, OTA updates, security, etc. All always-on functions. They don't require much power but they drain the batteries slightly with a long time until recharge. That's the AGM/Lead-Acid battery's Achilles Heel. It's the worst kind of battery for those functions, it slowly and progressively damages the battery.

That's the primary reason for Aux, not ESS. This is exemplified by how an alternate battery is used for electronic functions whenever possible (i.e. eTorque & 4XE). An AGM Aux is literally a last resort.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don't see it that way because engine starts aren't particularly hard on AGM/Lead-Acid batteries. It's always a large sudden discharge followed by an immediate recharge. That's the AGM/Lead-Acid wheelhouse, it's the best kind of battery for those functions.

What is also new are OEM proximity keys, remote start, OTA updates, security, etc. All always-on functions. They don't require much power but they drain the batteries slightly with a long time until recharge. That's the AGM/Lead-Acid battery's Achilles Heel. It's the worst kind of battery for those functions, it slowly and progressively damages the battery.

That's the primary reason for Aux, not ESS. This is exemplified by how an alternate battery is used for electronic functions whenever possible (i.e. eTorque & 4XE). An AGM Aux is literally a last resort.
The aux battery is lead acid though? My 2017 ram had all those features you mentioned, no ESS, and no aux battery? It literally had the exact same 8.4" uconnect? See it how you like, but ess was really the only change and along with it came the aux battery. Anyone who's ever had a flooded carb will disagree with your immediate recharge theory of lead acid. Too many starting/cranking events in quick succession has always lead to a low battery and always will. Traffic light after traffic light where the engine runs less time than its off or even starting is no different than a vehicle that won't start or won't idle. It's draining on the main battery.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The aux battery is lead acid though? My 2017 ram had all those features you mentioned, no ESS, and no aux battery? It literally had the exact same 8.4" uconnect? See it how you like, but ess was really the only change and along with it came the aux battery. Anyone who's ever had a flooded carb will disagree with your immediate recharge theory of lead acid. Too many starting/cranking events in quick succession has always lead to a low battery and always will. Traffic light after traffic light where the engine runs less time than its off or even starting is no different than a vehicle that won't start or won't idle. It's draining on the main battery.
Yes, Aux is AGM Lead Acid.

Flooded carb? That has nothing to do with a JL. A completely different and irrelevant scenario where you keep engaging the starter without starting the engine to recharge the battery. That is night & day different from normal ESS use.

ESS a smart system. If you do hit a lot of lights in rapid succession ESS will stop engaging if the battery needs to recharge. If the batteries are failing it won't engage. It's also a smart recharging system which will pump up or reduce the charging voltage as necessary, which also didn't exist in the carb days. ESS will never run the battery dead in a JL. It will stop engaging well before that happens.

What can't be controlled is how long the JL sits parked with electronics parasitic draw, which drains and sulfates the batteries. When that happens, over time a significant voltage drop can occur when the starter engages for a cold start. That is what Aux is there to avoid. On the JL, insufficiently powered electronics means complete engine failure. The engine is no longer physically controlled by driver actions anymore.
Sponsored