Occupation
Retired
The ad says it comes with plugs

MilkSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I dont think they'd make too much of a difference. Even in 100 degree heat my Jeep doesn't get warm. Maybe if you have cooling issues it could help, but besides that it's not worth having to plug them every time it rains or you wash your car. I'd probably forget

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I do deal with desert heat and non-functional pseudo vents irk me so I've been curious about replacing the stock vents. The way I see it, the front grill isn't going to stop any rain or dust from entering the engine compartment anyway. Water/mud can splash up from the front tires. Even the maximum water fording depth goes up into the engine compartment slightly. How bad could it be if hood vents let in a little rain? There are water shedding baffles and air filters where it matters.

But I don't think these would be all that functional. This is a meme but the airflow diagrams are real. Compared to the air being rammed through the grill, those scoops aren't going to contribute much. I'd be more inclined to have rear facing vents to act as a chimney when it's just the radiator fan pulling air in during a crawl or when you park.

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Hood Scoops 1653627128916

DEZELJP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I have them. Trying to put as much air flow to the motor without changing hoods. Trying to avoid D rating when traveling. They have rubber covers that pop on when itā€™s raining. I also throw them on when following close on dusty dirt roads. Trying to keep engine compartment clean. Yes, the Eco Diesel seems to have heat issues.

E049981A-F26C-4C86-B6B4-270B421DCEF6.jpeg

33AA252D-BF0E-4176-B091-AB480D739F95.jpeg

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I do deal with desert heat and non-functional pseudo vents irk me so I've been curious about replacing the stock vents. The way I see it, the front grill isn't going to stop any rain or dust from entering the engine compartment anyway. Water/mud can splash up from the front tires. Even the maximum water fording depth goes up into the engine compartment slightly. How bad could it be if hood vents let in a little rain? There are water shedding baffles and air filters where it matters.

But I don't think these would be all that functional. This is a meme but the airflow diagrams are real. Compared to the air being rammed through the grill, those scoops aren't going to contribute much. I'd be more inclined to have rear facing vents to act as a chimney when it's just the radiator fan pulling air in during a crawl or when you park.

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Hood Scoops 33AA252D-BF0E-4176-B091-AB480D739F95
One of the reviews said his EcoDiesel ran 10 to 15ļ¾Ÿ cooler as a result of installing this I wonder how accurate that is

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I have them. Trying to put as much air flow to the motor without changing hoods. Trying to avoid D rating when traveling. They have rubber covers that pop on when itā€™s raining. I also throw them on when following close on dusty dirt roads. Trying to keep engine compartment clean. Yes, the Eco Diesel seems to have heat issues.

E049981A-F26C-4C86-B6B4-270B421DCEF6.jpeg

33AA252D-BF0E-4176-B091-AB480D739F95.jpeg
By far the cleanest oem look and finish I've seen. I have the diesel but it's a non Rubicon if this is significant cooling I would be willing to buy OEM hood and add this aftermarket cooling scoops. Based on your results and experience would this be worth the cost an effort in doing so.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

Jeep Wrangler JL S&B Hood Scoops 33AA252D-BF0E-4176-B091-AB480D739F95
Yep- heat extractors face rearward like on my GCSRT to get the chimney effect. These appear to be made more for looks than for function. Definitely Backwards!

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
My biggest concern would be the copious amounts of rain we deal with here in southern Louisiana. Don't really want to have to jump out in one of our sudden rain storms to put the covers on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD

I have a Moab trip in July. We deal with very hot temps where I'm from but not Utah hot. Any concerns running the diesel that time of year off-road. I've run out east and in Texas with upper 90's no problem but engine did push the temps a bit.

DEZELJP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Heat saturated motor from freeway speed, throttling up for climbing or taking off have been all been related in our d-rates. Putting on new hood, painting, vents is a high cost with no proven fix. We have pre-filter fabric that weā€™re wanting to adapt to the S&Bā€™s for the rain. My last d-rate the covers were on because it was raining. My next mod will be removing the foam blocks under the hood and making the side cowls into vents to for rear air escape. Itā€™s not done yet because I want it to look good. Removing any heat in engine compartment is a good move to me.​

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have a Moab trip in July. We deal with very hot temps where I'm from but not Utah hot. Any concerns running the diesel that time of year off-road. I've run out east and in Texas with upper 90's no problem but engine did push the temps a bit.
I've never owned a diesel so IDK, but I can tell you I do see diesels in the desert FWIW. In UT the heat is dry and solar heat is a big factor. There's a reason why my Jeep is bright white with a body color hard top. It's functional. So you're right in paying attention to heat. Your body color will make the Jeep hot to the touch in the sun without even running.

DEZELJP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We were in Moab last July I believe we hit 102 one day. Neither the JT our JL (both diesel)had any off road problems with no extra vents. Hereā€˜s my advice for what itā€™s worth. If youā€™re stopped on the trail spotting someone or checking what line to take, leave it running. Radiator and fans do a pretty good job off road. If you have a tazer turn your fan on when stopped. Donā€™t push the hills on the freeway enjoy your drive. When you stop at a rest stop, if itā€™s a quick bathroom, leave it running and take turns. If youā€™re taking a break let it run for a while then shut it down and let it cool. Thereā€™s 3 Ecodiesel in my family and they make us smile 99% of the time. Not giving them up. You will enjoy that trip.

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I have them and have posted on them before. I recommend them, they do work. I would also recommend removing the engine cover and installling inner fender with vents. I use the motobilt version. you will need to relocate the washer fluid tank. plenty of posts on that. I drive in the rain and with out plug covers and have no issues. The few harness connectors there are on the top side of the engine bay are form sealed. the jeep was designed for water crossing and the harness issues people worry about getting wet are overblown in my opinion. I have had no overheating issues since performing said mods. I am in Texas and frequent Utah and Arizona as a hot climate reference.
Sponsored