modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Hello from Ontario Canada

I plan some to do some rust proofing job myself, next spring.
Question: what part should spray what not?

I want to buy some hand pump sprayer like this, spray whatever I find that have good deal and good review.
2 Gallon Spot Sprayer (princessauto.com)
So which area that I should spray and which area should avoid and which area MUST NOT get even touched with chemicals?
I will only use this basic tool, or maybe spray can only, no hoist no ramp, just crawl under my jeep and cars. Is the plan going to work?
Sponsored

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Spray everything metal and you'll be fine. POR 15 is the best thing I've found for this. You can brush or spray it.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people on here like Fluid Film. You can spray pretty much everything under there, just avoid the brake rotors and exhaust. If you do hit the exhaust, it’ll be fine but will smell pretty bad until it burns off.

Make sure you use the holes in the frame to get inside the frame tubing as well.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I did Fluid Film this year and have little rustproofing experience other than putting por15 and rustoleum on. While I can't talk about how well it stood up, I am extremely happy with the way it turned out.

The big thing for me is I didn't want anything permanent. I'm hoping that the heat of the Chicago summer will melt it all off and I can reapply it again.

WindyCityWilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
A lot of people on here like Fluid Film.
If you're spraying the underside of the Jeep, I recommend Wool Wax. It's made by the same company that makes fluid film, except it is much thicker and resists wash off much better.

Fluid Film all the way inside doors and other protected enclosures. WoolWax for the under-carriage and other exposed areas.

Sponsored

OP
OP

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
If you're spraying the underside of the Jeep, I recommend Wool Wax. It's made by the same company that makes fluid film, except it is much thicker and resists wash off much better.

Fluid Film all the way inside doors and other protected enclosures. WoolWax for the under-carriage and other exposed areas.
From what I checked, fluid film swollen the rubber parts, then how do you protect the rubber bushing, spring spacers, etc?
what product is absolutely safe on everything that I can just spray without worry about overspray?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I checked, fluid film swollen the rubber parts, then how do you protect the rubber bushing, spring spacers, etc?
what product is absolutely safe on everything that I can just spray without worry about overspray?
I've read that and I'm crossing my fingers that everything will be OK. So far, from what I read, others that have used fluid film haven't had any issues with it affecting rubber. Somebody said that the rubber that is used on bushings isn't pure rubber but more of a synthetic blend that isn't affected by fluid film (or normal grease).

I've had fluid film on for a few weeks now and one drawback that I noticed is you don't know if any fluid is leaking. It's a new vehicle so it's unlikely to develop a leak, but sooner or later it will. If you use fluid film, you may not be able to see that leak until it's on your floor or in the summer when you wash as much off as you can.

OP
OP

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Ok, I bought the gal of fluid film, it is so thick, I thought it is at least oil stuff to creep, but it turns out as goo thing.
Won't be able to spray by the pump sprayer I listed above, that is for wd 40 thin like oil.

I read someone heat it first and maybe ok to spray by hand sprayer, or it has to be air sprayed. But I don't have a proper size compressor, it is only 2 gal compressor, where most of paint spray require 10 gal+

So what happen if I use my clearly under spec compressor to spray it? Does it spray at all ? or simply has to wait too long to let it pump up to be able to spray again? I can accept the wait.

I am trying to figure out best cheap solution to apply FF without having to buy things.
Thin it with vegy oil?
Wait to summer to heat it?
Buy a small sprayers?
Brush it now to frame?

Or a combo of all these measure

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, I bought the gal of fluid film, it is so thick, I thought it is at least oil stuff to creep, but it turns out as goo thing.
Won't be able to spray by the pump sprayer I listed above, that is for wd 40 thin like oil.

I read someone heat it first and maybe ok to spray by hand sprayer, or it has to be air sprayed. But I don't have a proper size compressor, it is only 2 gal compressor, where most of paint spray require 10 gal+

So what happen if I use my clearly under spec compressor to spray it? Does it spray at all ? or simply has to wait too long to let it pump up to be able to spray again? I can accept the wait.

I am trying to figure out best cheap solution to apply FF without having to buy things.
Thin it with vegy oil?
Wait to summer to heat it?
Buy a small sprayers?
Brush it now to frame?

Or a combo of all these measure
I would guess that a 2 gallon compressor won't be able to keep up. If it even works, it will probably be constantly running and burn something out. You could try it, but I'm going to guess that it's too small.

I haven't seen a gallon in the summer, but I don't know if it gets much thinner. I had mine in my house at 70* for a week and it was still thick. I was able to pour it through a funnel, but it wasn't something that could be sprayed with a garden sprayer.

I would invest in a larger compressor if you want to spray it. If not, you can always use a brush and just glob it on. I would then get maybe two aersol cans so you can get the inside of the frame and other areas.

OP
OP

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I always wondering on this, Fluid film is a thick oil or grease like stuff, would it not attract dirt and dust become a home of moister and salt? are they supposed to dry and then leave a real film layer for protection?
Sponsored