Sponsored

Rugged Ridge Arcus Bumper Not Fitting

Mgriz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Sahara
I am running into an issue when trying to install the Arcus bumper on my 2021 JLU Sahara. The winch plate does not fit between the frame horns. The winch plate horn mount tabs are about 5/32" too wide. Has anyone else seen this problem?
Sponsored

Mhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I would suggest having RR send you a replacement winch mount, and see if that one fits. I have this bumper waiting on the shelf, ready to go on my 2022 JLR when it comes. Hoping the 21's/22's didn't have any changes to the frame horn mounting area, but I find that doubtful. I researched this bumper a fair amount before purchasing, and I did not see anyone else report the problem you are having. Let me know the outcome, so I can know what issues I may run into when I install. Good luck!

OP
OP
Mgriz

Mgriz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would suggest having RR send you a replacement winch mount, and see if that one fits. I have this bumper waiting on the shelf, ready to go on my 2022 JLR when it comes. Hoping the 21's/22's didn't have any changes to the frame horn mounting area, but I find that doubtful. I researched this bumper a fair amount before purchasing, and I did not see anyone else report the problem you are having. Let me know the outcome, so I can know what issues I may run into when I install. Good luck!
I have been in touch with RR and they think my frame is wrong. I think that Mopar made a change because my plastic bumper is different than any video I watch installing the Arcus bumper. The big difference was the wire harness was in a molded slot, but on mine I had the harness running inside the plastic shell. Plus, if my frame was wrong why does the original bumper fit the brackets that are attached to the frame horns?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have been in touch with RR and they think my frame is wrong. I think that Mopar made a change because my plastic bumper is different than any video I watch installing the Arcus bumper. The big difference was the wire harness was in a molded slot, but on mine I had the harness running inside the plastic shell. Plus, if my frame was wrong why does the original bumper fit the brackets that are attached to the frame horns?
You have a picture showing what you're talking about? Can you not just grind it down bit to get it to fit between horns? There are a lot of people, myself included, with a 21 and aftermarket bumpers that have had zero fitment issues. Pretty sure if FCA decided to do a mid year frame change, it would be a big deal on here.

OP
OP
Mgriz

Mgriz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a picture showing what you're talking about? Can you not just grind it down bit to get it to fit between horns? There are a lot of people, myself included, with a 21 and aftermarket bumpers that have had zero fitment issues. Pretty sure if FCA decided to do a mid year frame change, it would be a big deal on here.
Here are the pictures.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Arcus Bumper Not Fitting Bumper1
Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Arcus Bumper Not Fitting Bumper2

I am off basically the thickness of the steel used in the plate so grinding is not really an option. When I measure the plate from outside to outside I am 26-29/32" but between the horns is measuring 26-3/4".

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Here are the pictures.

I am off basically the thickness of the steel used in the plate so grinding is not really an option. When I measure the plate from outside to outside I am 26-29/32" but between the horns is measuring 26-3/4".
Ahh, so it's smaller, I didn't even catch that. (Canadian so Freedom units confound me ;) ) nor did I read up top, lol.

That's interesting. Again though, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it.
Does the RR bumper fit? If so, how can RR say that Jeep changed horns if that's the case? Do they think they just changed the mounting holes? That's doesn't make any sense.

GIve a parts place a call and ask them to measure another winch plate....?

OP
OP
Mgriz

Mgriz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh, so it's smaller, I didn't even catch that. (Canadian so Freedom units confound me ;) ) nor did I read up top, lol.

That's interesting. Again though, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it.
Does the RR bumper fit? If so, how can RR say that Jeep changed horns if that's the case? Do they think they just changed the mounting holes? That's doesn't make any sense.

GIve a parts place a call and ask them to measure another winch plate....?
I have not tried to install the bumper once I hit this issue. I have had multiple conversations with RR and they do not understand it. They say they have checked some they have and their plate is correct according to the dimension they have been given.

I think I am going to try your idea of the parts place next and see what I can find out.

Thanks

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have not tried to install the bumper once I hit this issue. I have had multiple conversations with RR and they do not understand it. They say they have checked some they have and their plate is correct according to the dimension they have been given.

I think I am going to try your idea of the parts place next and see what I can find out.

Thanks
If you have stock bumper off, just measure mount points against RR bumper.
I don't trust technical answers from people who answer phones. They have a "playbook" they follow and any deviation from it is the status quo answer of of "did you reboot your device?"

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
Mine was a little tight. Took some wiggling and got it in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rugged Ridge Arcus Bumper Not Fitting 6B5D215E-11F7-435F-BA17-016D4225D47E

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Was your Jeep in a front end collision that shifted the horns?

Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Running into this exact issue right now.
Installing the arcus and the winch plate is too wide for my 21 Rubicon.

@Mgriz, ever find a solution?

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Arcus front bumper on my '21 Willys and I had the same issue at install. It just some patience and my buddy and I were able to bang it into place with a mallet and a lot of adjusting, the key is to make sure you put the winch plate in from the bottom, its a VERY snug fit, but it will eventually slide into place just need a little force.

OP
OP
Mgriz

Mgriz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a local shop finish the install and wire up the winch. Since I was having them do a 3.5" lift the little extra labor was all it cost me.

Mandy's Owner

First Name
Vektra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport (Mandy)
Thank you for posting this. I had the same issue. My winch plate was likely just on the high side of tolerance spec for the manufacturing fold. Same result, plate too wide to fit between the frame rails -- about the thickness of the metal. (Also brand new jeep with no damage.)

Solution: YMMV but I used my farm jack. Braced it between the rails and ratcheted it apart just a smidge. Far enough to get the plate in there. If you've got one, it can help.

Effectiveness: 4 out of 5 stars
Safety: 0 out of 5 stars

Afterward, the install went well. Except for the step where 13 hands are needed to sandwich hook plates, bumper, back plate, and frame endplates all together. I thought I was going to have a stroke. All worth it in the end. It looks awesome.

Good luck!

-V
Sponsored