Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I off-roaded today and there were moments I wished I was in the Rubicon. I bottomed out in the sand a few times. But the 4xe Sahara did fine.

I might consider that Sahara lift kit but it's already tight in clearing my garage door opener.
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is very easy, since you live in Denver and have a fair amount of snow get the Sahara with the Limited Slip rear diff. this will give you the best traction control and will run circles around a Rubicon as lockers and snow (unless fresh deep snow) are useless. You see with Lockers that is a solid axel in that both wheels turn at the same speed, lockers when you turn they bind causing one to break loose. Lockers are primarily for driving straight lines not making turns. Whereas the LSD diff when you main traction when your power wheel brakes loose it kicks in the opposite wheel so both rear wheels have power. Also you can always add a locker to the front axel of a Sahara and have a very capable 4x4. I would only suggest a Rubicon if you planned to to do technical off road or hardcore rock climbing. By the way the beauty of a Sahara is you can make it look any way you want here is my 2018 JL Sahara

The 4H auto only switches to 4H when the 2H slips (you still only have one wheel per axel with traction. BLD is not a very good snow traction as it is not on demand like a LSD, meaning with LSD when one Wheel slips the other immediately engages so both wheels on the same axel provide traction. Unlike the BLD transfers power to the other wheel in only some conditions and for snow would require driver manipulation in most cases. Nothing beats the LSD in snow... Lockers are good in snow until you have to make a turn then that solid axel connection cause one wheel to bind and slip this can be dangerous.
Hello, how do you like the EAG Vicious Off-Road half- doors?

I have them for my Sahara and my Rubicon now.

They look better than most doors.
Panels off with Half-doors 3.jpg

Naked4.jpg

Spiderwebshade.jpg

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the summary of HA features. We just purchased yesterday and are learning what we can about it. It has the tow package.
How do we display the off road gauges?

( watch it be something simple like "shift the transfer case to 4L and the gauges appear.....)
All one does is access the "apps" in the Uconnect infotainment screen and your good to go. :)

Guy Jepsy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Rubicon JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help B87F13F8-EF51-417C-AC09-6D4A7450F450

My Rubi is on 37”s with a 3.5” lift. Here’s how I solved the access problem. (Rock Slide Engineering) Asking Jeepers which Jeep to buy is like asking advice on picking the best spouse. 🤷🏼 On my third Jeep now and I have found that once you have one you keep exploring more and more difficult terrain. Hence my Rubi. It’s far cheaper to buy a Rubi than to build one after market. (Better retail too). You have to decide how rough you intend to go and then buy/build for a little more. A stock Rubi will get you through 95% of the trails you may find.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Love that photo showing the side panels removed! We have that same type of power roof and I was curious what it would look like with the doors and rear quarter panel removed. :like:

Sponsored

eroeder

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, CJ7
I have a 4Xe Rubicon Currently on the standard 33 wheels. Added pretty much all options but smoking group (So I guess it is a "High Altitude" Rubicon). Added Rockslide Engineering rock rail/steps. Not too tall right now to get in without steps (6'), but at limit to do comfortably. Once I go to mopar 2" lift and 35" wheels, the steps will be a nice to have. Rides great on the road and is VERY comfortable.

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate all of the feedback. Keep it coming!
I opted for a Rubicon in 2020 before the High Altitude trim came out and I'm really glad I did. I did a custom paint job on my Roam rock rails and custom paint on the OEM steel bumper/mirrors because I did like the "all white look" of the HT trim. I'm 5'4" and usually on the road but I would not trade my Rubicon for anything-- she's a beast.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I have a 4Xe Rubicon Currently on the standard 33 wheels. Added pretty much all options but smoking group (So I guess it is a "High Altitude" Rubicon). Added Rockslide Engineering rock rail/steps. Not too tall right now to get in without steps (6'), but at limit to do comfortably. Once I go to mopar 2" lift and 35" wheels, the steps will be a nice to have. Rides great on the road and is VERY comfortable.

If you are going Mopar 2" lift and 35's you may want to reconsider, that lift generally delivers 3" of lift and with 35's they will look very small in that large open wheel well. I end with the 1.5" Teraflex Spacer on my 4xe and it is borderline too high. I am so glad I did not wait for the Mopar lift. There is 9" between tire and Flair witch is more than enough.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help IMG_3133

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Love that photo showing the side panels removed! We have that same type of power roof and I was curious what it would look like with the doors and rear quarter panel removed. :like:
Let's a whole lot more airflow.

I love the Sky Top but went with the Hardtop for my Rubicon. I like the total openness with the top off.

Congrats on your Jeep.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mopar 2.0 Lift and I have 9.5 " from the tire to Fender with my Toyo 35's. That .5" not much difference to notice.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I really like my High Altitude (3.6 motor) - was going to go with the Rubicon, but for my needs for mostly road travel I choose the HA. However I did put on some aftermarket wheels and 285/70/17's for some dune action and trails duty. If I go on long road trips the 20's will go back on. I didn't fancy the red dash on the Rubicon and to get the grey dash required tan seats. It had to be my daily driver. Since I wasn't going to be doing any technical off road stuff the HA started to win the debate for MY needs. Couldn't risk doing any significant damage and having the Jeep out of commission for a spell. I asked the salesman what they sold the most. He actually said they sell the Sport models more - especially if folks were HEAVY serious for off roading because those types of folks change the axles, gearing, and mod up beyond what the Rubicon offers anyway. I opted for the cold winter package (Michigan), front facing camera, and 2.72:1 Selec-Trac Full-Time 4WD System. Huge respect for the Rubicon, but making the HA my choice was the right one.

Some neat things about the HA over the Sahara/Sport.
  • It has Dana 44 axles rear (220) and front (210) (same at the JT which includes a larger rear rotor with the tow package)
  • 3:73 gearing (not quite 4:10 like a Rubicon, but the 3:73 gearing on any other Jeep requires the 3.0 diesel)
  • Unique fenders - slightly higher front fenders over the Sahara, but less high than the Rubicon
  • Comes with "Off Road" pages
  • Lots of nice interior leather and stitching (same copper stitching as the 392 I think)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help IMG_3133
I found the off road gauges. Pretty cool. I can see how that would be helpful. :like:

Just have to cycle through the various screens with the up/down arrow on steering wheel. Then arrow right when the drivetrain image appears.

20210503_203000.jpg

20210503_202954.jpg

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
Either model is very capable, and both can be modified to pretty much what you want. I liked what the Rubicon brought to the table for me, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As for a couple of your other questions and other have similar answers, 1. The stickers come off very easily with a blow dryer (see pix) 2. My wife is 5'1"-ish and getting in was doable, but adding steps made getting in a non-issue. Installing them was very easy. I have ROAM (see pix), and someone else mentioned LOD. There are others as well. ... and both make steps for 4doors too

Have fun

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Either model is very capable, and both can be modified to pretty much what you want. I liked what the Rubicon brought to the table for me, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As for a couple of your other questions and other have similar answers, 1. The stickers come off very easily with a blow dryer (see pix) 2. My wife is 5'1"-ish and getting in was doable, but adding steps made getting in a non-issue. Installing them was very easy. I have ROAM (see pix), and someone else mentioned LOD. There are others as well. ... and both make steps for 4doors too

Have fun

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help Capture2.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help Capture2.JPG
May I ask this question. I have seen others bring this up but I don't understand.

Why would you want to remove the Rubicon name from your Jeep?

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
May I ask this question. I have seen others bring this up but I don't understand.

Why would you want to remove the Rubicon name from your Jeep?
I suspect most people take the hood decals off so they can put on the name of their Jeep. You know "Bruiser" or something. For me, I'm just not a big fan of stickers on the hood, so I just took 'em off
Sponsored