Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This is very easy, since you live in Denver and have a fair amount of snow get the Sahara with the Limited Slip rear diff. this will give you the best traction control and will run circles around a Rubicon as lockers and snow (unless fresh deep snow) are useless. You see with Lockers that is a solid axel in that both wheels turn at the same speed, lockers when you turn they bind causing one to break loose. Lockers are primarily for driving straight lines not making turns. Whereas the LSD diff when you main traction when your power wheel brakes loose it kicks in the opposite wheel so both rear wheels have power. Also you can always add a locker to the front axel of a Sahara and have a very capable 4x4. I would only suggest a Rubicon if you planned to to do technical off road or hardcore rock climbing. By the way the beauty of a Sahara is you can make it look any way you want here is my 2018 JL Sahara

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help Alta 1
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I couldn't see any benefits of the High Altitude over the Sahara (at least on the 4xe). I just wasn't a fan of the painted bumpers. Something about that seems wrong on a jeep. :)

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I really like my High Altitude (3.6 motor) - was going to go with the Rubicon, but for my needs for mostly road travel I choose the HA. However I did put on some aftermarket wheels and 285/70/17's for some dune action and trails duty. If I go on long road trips the 20's will go back on. I didn't fancy the red dash on the Rubicon and to get the grey dash required tan seats. It had to be my daily driver. Since I wasn't going to be doing any technical off road stuff the HA started to win the debate for MY needs. Couldn't risk doing any significant damage and having the Jeep out of commission for a spell. I asked the salesman what they sold the most. He actually said they sell the Sport models more - especially if folks were HEAVY serious for off roading because those types of folks change the axles, gearing, and mod up beyond what the Rubicon offers anyway. I opted for the cold winter package (Michigan), front facing camera, and 2.72:1 Selec-Trac Full-Time 4WD System. Huge respect for the Rubicon, but making the HA my choice was the right one.

Some neat things about the HA over the Sahara/Sport.
  • It has Dana 44 axles rear (220) and front (210) (same at the JT which includes a larger rear rotor with the tow package)
  • 3:73 gearing (not quite 4:10 like a Rubicon, but the 3:73 gearing on any other Jeep requires the 3.0 diesel)
  • Unique fenders - slightly higher front fenders over the Sahara, but less high than the Rubicon
  • Comes with "Off Road" pages
  • Lots of nice interior leather and stitching (same copper stitching as the 392 I think)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon vs. High Altitude Help Jeep 4.PNG

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I couldn't see any benefits of the High Altitude over the Sahara (at least on the 4xe). I just wasn't a fan of the painted bumpers. Something about that seems wrong on a jeep. :)

I agree the painted bumper if you off road will not look pretty after a while. for 100% opn road no problem though. However I do like contrast of Black bumpers.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I really like my High Altitude (3.6 motor) - was going to go with the Rubicon, but for my needs for mostly road travel I choose the HA. However I did put on some aftermarket wheels and 285/70/17's for some dune action and trails duty. If I go on long road trips the 20's will go back on. I didn't fancy the red dash on the Rubicon and to get the grey dash required tan seats. It had to be my daily driver. Since I wasn't going to be doing any technical off road stuff the HA started to win the debate for MY needs. Couldn't risk doing any significant damage and having the Jeep out of commission for a spell. I asked the salesman what they sold the most. He actually said they sell the Sport models more - especially if folks were HEAVY serious for off roading because those types of folks change the axles, gearing, and mod up beyond what the Rubicon offers anyway. I opted for the cold winter package (Michigan), front facing camera, and 2.72:1 Selec-Trac Full-Time 4WD System. Huge respect for the Rubicon, but making the HA my choice was the right one.

• It has Dana 44 axles rear (220) and front (210) (same at the JT which includes a larger rear rotor with the tow package)
  • 3:73 gearing (not quite 4:10 like a Rubicon, but the 3:73 gearing on any other Jeep requires the 3.0 diesel)
  • Unique fenders - slightly higher front fenders over the Sahara, but less high than the Rubicon
  • Lots of nice interior leather and stitching (same copper stitching as the 392 I think)

Good info! The Jeep web site does a terrible job at highlighting the differences. They just cover the cosmetic stuff. I was mostly aware of the wider wheel base.

My Sahara also comes with the off road pages and 3.73 gear ratio. I didn't think think it was going to come with the off road pages as they list it as a feature on the Rubicon. But this might be 4xe standards as the base configs are already loaded.

Is the "Selec-Trac Full-Time 4WD System" the 2H, 4H Auto, 4H Part Time, 4L setup?

I know what the "Part Time 4H" does but the naming sure does confuse me. It should be 4H Auto and 4H Full Time. It's like the Github developers named these drive options.

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
This is very easy, since you live in Denver and have a fair amount of snow get the Sahara with the Limited Slip rear diff. this will give you the best traction control and will run circles around a Rubicon as lockers and snow (unless fresh deep snow) are useless. You see with Lockers that is a solid axel in that both wheels turn at the same speed, lockers when you turn they bind causing one to break loose. Lockers are primarily for driving straight lines not making turns. Whereas the LSD diff when you main traction when your power wheel brakes loose it kicks in the opposite wheel so both rear wheels have power. Also you can always add a locker to the front axel of a Sahara and have a very capable 4x4. I would only suggest a Rubicon if you planned to to do technical off road or hardcore rock climbing. By the way the beauty of a Sahara is you can make it look any way you want here is my 2018 JL Sahara
This is not entirely applicable if you are looking at a 4xe. I believe all three current trim levels of the 4xe have the 4H Auto function, which will apply wheel traction where needed. Wranglers also have BLD (brake lock differential) that will keep wheels from slipping, so the limited slip, while advantageous, really won't offer much more above what it will already do in 4H Auto with BLD.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This is not entirely applicable if you are looking at a 4xe. I believe all three current trim levels of the 4xe have the 4H Auto function, which will apply wheel traction where needed. Wranglers also have BLD (brake lock differential) that will keep wheels from slipping, so the limited slip, while advantageous, really won't offer much more above what it will already do in 4H Auto with BLD.
The 4H auto only switches to 4H when the 2H slips (you still only have one wheel per axel with traction. BLD is not a very good snow traction as it is not on demand like a LSD, meaning with LSD when one Wheel slips the other immediately engages so both wheels on the same axel provide traction. Unlike the BLD transfers power to the other wheel in only some conditions and for snow would require driver manipulation in most cases. Nothing beats the LSD in snow... Lockers are good in snow until you have to make a turn then that solid axel connection cause one wheel to bind and slip this can be dangerous.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the painted bumper if you off road will not look pretty after a while. for 100% opn road no problem though. However I do like contrast of Black bumpers.
Yeah, I really like the colored bumper, door handles, fuel door - has a "quality" feel/look IMHO. Looks nice in the dunes and had some compliments. Anyway, figured once the HA bling wears off or the colored bumpers get mangled some that's when the land of aftermarket bumpers will join the fun. :)

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
  1. Has anyone removed any of the Rubicon decals? If so, how difficult are they to remove?
Super easy to remove the Rubi decals. You should be able to see on my profile photo. Key is to do it shortly after getting the vehicle. Just use a fingernail to start to peel and then pull off.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Look, this is not that complex. You get the Rubicon if you want just enough ground clearance to get down rocky trails and you get the High Altitude if you're the type of folks who want to stay high more often.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Let's face facts. If you wife likes the High altitude, that is what you are getting. You'll be happy with either one.
Agreed. My wife chose the High Altitude over the Rubicon. She loved both of course but the High Altitude was less expensive and has a more elegant look we think....
Interestingly She does not like the step. Says it makes it harder to get out. She wants to source some Rubicon rock sliders and put those one instead. She said the Rubico. 4xe was much easier for her to get in and out. She is 5'-9 so maybe that is why she is okay without the step.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thank you for the summary of HA features. We just purchased yesterday and are learning what we can about it. It has the tow package.
How do we display the off road gauges?

( watch it be something simple like "shift the transfer case to 4L and the gauges appear.....)

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes perfect sense.
The HA is my wife's daily driver. It will see off road duty but mostly mild to moderate trails 3-4 times per year is my guess. I could be wrong and if so, then we will have to get the Rubi. :)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

My wife and I are putting in an order on a new 4xe today, but we are torn between the Rubicon vs. High Altitude trim levels. We’ve done a lot of research and test drove a Sahara 4xe, but wanted to ask some actual owners their thoughts. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Vehicle Usage
This is primarily going to be used on road in Denver, CO but I would like to take it off-road at least 2-3 times per year. I am leaning towards the Rubicon because I prefer the basic amenities and want the bigger tires, higher fenders and steel bumpers, but I also like that the HA has a smoother ride on paved surfaces. My wife likes the HA "standard" options like the color-keyed fenders and leather seats, which can be added to the Rubicon. One of her biggest concerns is the lack of side rails on the Rubicon and the ease of getting in and out for her and our children.

Questions
  1. How difficult is it to get in and out of the Rubicon? Has anyone added side rails to their Rubicon? If so, how hard are they to install and which ones did you choose?
  2. Are the off-road capabilities really worth the upgraded cost? I know the full-time 4WD is nice but what else is there (I'm not much of a car guy)? How much does the FT 4WD impact fuel efficiency?
  3. How much harsher of a ride on highway is the Rubicon? Is it a lot or barely noticable?
  4. Has anyone removed any of the Rubicon decals? If so, how difficult are they to remove?
  5. If you faced a similar decision, why did you decide on the trim you did?
Thanks for all the help, hope to wave to you all soon.
Lots of replies already that answer your questions.

Just FYI, I ordered my 2021 Rubicon with the Performance Heavy-duty Rock sliders with Step Assist By Mopar when I made my build. They have just enough Step to help the wife in and out.

20210316_140409.jpg

michellini

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Funny I thought I wanted the Sahara, but drove both.. I liked the Rubicon instantly...
I think a test drive.. Even if they only have regular.

A dealer here had the 4xe.

My husband first said he preferred the Sahara as he was in the back.... But now says Rubicon all day long
Sponsored