OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I also got his Rubicon Shocks..

Whats everyone's thoughts on throwing a small spacer on top of the rubi springs? Still 285/70r17 would be max?

ScottieGfunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I run a 1/2" Teraflex spacer on the front. I have the 285/70r17's and it is a good fit. Wish I had gone with a 3/4" spacer though, once I put on a steel bumper and winch.

ScottieGfunk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Whats everyone's thoughts on throwing a small spacer on top of the rubi springs? Still 285/70r17 would be max?
Be mindful that the Rubicon shocks may not fit any longer. With the spacer on the front and then a light backend (soft top and plastic bumper) with the tallest coils, I blew out the Rubi shocks immediately and then upgraded to Bilstein 5100's for a 2-3" lift. Works much better.

Also, if you are going this route for the lift (which I think is the perfect height for 33" tires) then get the front LCA's from the Mopar 2" lift. You can buy them separately and they help with castor angle.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase

I have the Rubi coils with a 3/4 spacer and I'm running 285/75 and I think this is the perfect size and they literally look like 35's. I'm sure you could fit 35" too but I stayed with 34's cause it looks good and I won't have to regear until I go bigger because I didn't have the 4.10 rear like the rubi's to help compensate for the 35's.

Forgot to add that I did also get the lower control arms from the Mopar lift and it rides great as it stands right now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Take off Question EDA6BB19-A349-4809-816F-A00924FA4534

Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There's a few things you can do~

Run 315/70/17s, or the slightly smaller 285/75/17, just a bit shorter than a true 35

Get high clearance fenders such as the OEM Rubicon fenders, or the many aftermarket options

Put a 3/4" spacer all around or at least in the front if you plan to get a winch/steel bumper setup

I have high clearance fenders, a 3/4" front spacer and I have some 315/70s ready to mount up

Here's my current setup for reference (on 295/70/17s). My lift should be similar to a 4 dr w/ higher # springs (like the OP will be using)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Take off Question IMG_0899.JPG

OP
OP

Fmrock164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have a 4door soft top. Right now I have no plans for a winch or anything really to weigh it down.

Brandon WL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler
Hey guys. I picked up a set of rubi 4d diesel shocks/springs which are probably the most lift I will get off any of the rubi takeoffs for my JLU sport. Since the shocks/springs were meant for the heavier rubi, the rubi will sit lower than my wrangler with the same rubi suspension installed. This makes me think that the shocks will not be long enough for my sports increased height over the rubi's. Basically, I was wondering if the rubi takeoff shocks are long enough to not cause any trouble?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey guys. I picked up a set of rubi 4d diesel shocks/springs which are probably the most lift I will get off any of the rubi takeoffs for my JLU sport. Since the shocks/springs were meant for the heavier rubi, the rubi will sit lower than my wrangler with the same rubi suspension installed. This makes me think that the shocks will not be long enough for my sports increased height over the rubi's. Basically, I was wondering if the rubi takeoff shocks are long enough to not cause any trouble?
Diesel will sit lower due to the heavier engine weight but the suspension is designed to articulate full stuff/droop so those pieces should work w/ your sport. I'm not sure what bump stops the diesel has, might have more bump stop but??? Be sure to add at least the longer Mopar lift LCAs w/ that much lift.

Brandon WL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler
Diesel will sit lower due to the heavier engine weight but the suspension is designed to articulate full stuff/droop so those pieces should work w/ your sport. I'm not sure what bump stops the diesel has, might have more bump stop but??? Be sure to add at least the longer Mopar lift LCAs w/ that much lift.
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be getting the longer LCAs and possibly longer sway bar end links. I have one more question tho. Due to the rubi being able to articulate full stuff/droop with detached sway end links, my sport will be able to articulate fully with the links attached without any damage to the shocks? Is that what you meant?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be getting the longer LCAs and possibly longer sway bar end links. I have one more question tho. Due to the rubi being able to articulate full stuff/droop with detached sway end links, my sport will be able to articulate fully with the links attached without any damage to the shocks? Is that what you meant?
You won't need any new end links, they are the same across the JL lineup. You won't do any damage keeping the sways attached or disconnected, it just alows the suspension to remove much more freely when disconnected. I highly recommend disconnecting the front sway anytime you plan on flexing out there on the trail. I don't have quick disconnects but can still remove/attach them in 5 minutes or less, I keep a pry bar in my storage bin, makes it simple to align the link/sway connection, even when you're not on level ground.

Xtina

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL willys, 2021 willys sold
I have a 2018 Sahara. I was getting some rubi rails from a guy and he gave me his take off suspension. However, only 1 of the fronts and 1 of the backs has the tags. I was told only buy rubi take offs that have the tags because each is corner specific. I got these for free. Is there any other way to figure out which is the # for the unmarked spring?

Mine look just like these. Except I don't have the part number on the fronts. The rear ones are exactly the same as mine. I was concerned they were some weird combo because of the insulator on one and not the other. But yours is the same.
Sponsored