Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have info on swapping rubicon transfer case to sport?

auto trans in the rubi tcase into a manual trans sport? Or do i need a manual transmission transfer case

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

auto trans in the rubi tcase into a manual trans sport? Or do i need a manual transmission transfer case
I did the swap and talked with the MFG first. The manual t-case is needed if you have a manual. An automatic t-case wont work with the manual.

MILLINSKI

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
A fellow Jeeper here in NC had some unfortunate events take place surrounding his stock Sahara rear axle.

His Jeep is in my garage right now and I'll be doing this swap for him. I'll make a step by step guide like I did for the gear swap.

It'll be the same swap @ChattVol had done minus the Rubicon Transfercase.

It's an easy swap to do, but to try and help answer questions before they come up, I'll make the guide.

The axles will start coming out around 11 this morning. The swap won't be done until the 20th or so because I'm leaving to grab my Jeep from Sacramento, wheel Colorado, and then drive home.
Did this step by step guide happen? Searching and found this but no guide

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Did this step by step guide happen? Searching and found this but no guide
It did not. Ran out of time. Do you have specific questions I can help you with?

I’m sure I’ll be doing another one here soon. I have this guide to do and another for installing a long arm.

Sponsored

JayKrup

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It did not. Ran out of time. Do you have specific questions I can help you with?

I’m sure I’ll be doing another one here soon. I have this guide to do and another for installing a long arm.
How much do you charge?

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I just installed a PR44 in my JL. Feel free to ask questions of it can be helpful. I’m glad I did it and would absolutely do it over, but I did learn a few things that would make the install faster if I did it over (and maybe cheaper). It is a beefy, well built axle. The driveshaft does need to be replaced, and ordering it for some reason required some confusion about u joint sizing and of course added to the cost. It also has a lot more caster than stock. Even with adjustable lower control arms, I have like 8 degrees. I had to add adjustable uppers to get between 6-7 degrees.
im about to do the PR44 front axle replacement. I’ve got the sport and am leaning toward keeping the sort width but considering the slightly wider rubicon width. Wha tide you go with and would you suggest?
wondering about the driveshaft now. Obviously I’d like to keep my down time to a minimum but I don’t see too many options aside from measuring once installed. Any suggestions from your experience?

did you do the Rubi tcase swap? I’m considering it and trying to wait for Atlas to come out with theirs later this year.

I did the swap and talked with the MFG first. The manual t-case is needed if you have a manual. An automatic t-case wont work with the manual.
have you done a Rubi tcase swap into a manual sport? I’m trying to decide if I want to do it or wait for atlas.

thanks for this thread guys! :)

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
@Az-jewel
I have the sport width PR44 and hav no regrets, but I think it’s up to you. I have aftermarket wheels with less backspacing then stock, so I didn’t need a wider axle.
I did have to wait for the axle install so I could measure for the driveshaft length. That took time and was a pain, but I’m glad I did it. As you know the axle disconnect is removed with the PR and the axle spins all of the time. I had a slight vibration after the DS install, and because I followed all of the recommended install, my DS was rebalanced at no charge. I have no vibes now.
2 years in a I still love my PR44.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
@Az-jewel
I have the sport width PR44 and hav no regrets, but I think it’s up to you. I have aftermarket wheels with less backspacing then stock, so I didn’t need a wider axle.
I did have to wait for the axle install so I could measure for the driveshaft length. That took time and was a pain, but I’m glad I did it. As you know the axle disconnect is removed with the PR and the axle spins all of the time. I had a slight vibration after the DS install, and because I followed all of the recommended install, my DS was rebalanced at no charge. I have no vibes now.
2 years in a I still love my PR44.
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate that feedback!! It will be a while til my axle gets built, but I’m not sure if I want to go wider. It’s only 1.5”, but I need to do it now if I’m going to change it!!
Sponsored