Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I was kind of afraid of. I know they are 30 degree spots, but at 1440(?) lumens each, I think they would need to be positioned to hit the ground fairly close in to do any more good than the factory lights. The Rigid SS spots are 6300(?) lumens, and Ive seen those work and have been quite impressed with them. The only comparison I have to the RC’s is a 1100 lumen spot flashlight I have. Very bright, but no more than a standard headlamp.

But then I’m comparing a $99 kit to a $299 kit that doesn’t come with brackets.

Any hope of these brackets being sold separately?
What'd you end up getting? I too was looking at the rigids because of past experience.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
What'd you end up getting? I too was looking at the rigids because of past experience.

I’m ordering the rough country kit, mainly to rob the mounts, and put Rigid side shooter spots on the windshield. I’ll use the RC lights either as reverse lights, or mount them on the frame rails in between the bumper and grill and aim them wide to illuminate ditch lines.

Sponsored

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Sorry for the rookie question. What are you using to hold the wires together? A loop for the ground, and a connector for the battery/light? I assume not simply electric tape. Also, is there a channel or conduit for running wire under the hood? Does the battery need to be fully disconnected? Sorry again, hell bent on doing this myself, and want to figure it out while I wait for my bracket. Cant find a decent install video anywhere.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the rookie question. What are you using to hold the wires together? A loop for the ground, and a connector for the battery/light? I assume not simply electric tape. Also, is there a channel or conduit for running wire under the hood? Does the battery need to be fully disconnected? Sorry again, hell bent on doing this myself, and want to figure it out while I wait for my bracket. Cant find a decent install video anywhere.

1: Crimped butt connectors under shrink tube.

2: Crimped/ shrink tubed eyelets attached by nut to one of the many grounding posts under the hood (I did mine directly to the battery)

3: No.....no electrical tape anywhere.

4: Yes, theres a couple open locations Jeep engineered in to the JL to allow wire looms to pass through from the engine bay through or around the firewall. I was surprised how much they catered to the end user for mods. Theres at least one hole in the firewall around the electrical area with a blank rubber plug if you want to go through, or what I used, was the eyelet on the driver side hood baffle (its foam) that allows you to get a 3/4" loom of cable for whatever out of the engine bay around the firewall into the cowl area (which you can then sneak into the cabin by folding the windshield and closing it on top). I did the latter, since I had a pre-fab wire harness.

5: For safety.......yes. Was I stupid and was simply lucky I didn't get poked by installing the wiring without disconnecting? Also yes.

Mind you, I did "phone in" the wiring install to a standard that is below what Id consider "professional". Though, I did make sure everything is A: water resistant, and B: entirely safe (correct gauge wiring, relay, fused, no chaffing/ rub points, no kinks, etc). Having a pre made wire harness is a big help with the safety aspect though. As long as you don't pinch wires or put them where they'd melt, chafe, crush, or snag....you won't have to worry about burning your jeep down.

Once I accumulate more accessories (more lights, winch, CB, HAM, PA/ loud speaker) all that 'temporary' wiring will be gutted and fully replaced by using a dedicated control center commanding a dedicated fused/ relayed power box. That way all the big draw power is kept under hood on the 'hot' side of the firewall (where it should be). You can buy one for $300-$500.....but building them is half the fun, and well below 1/2 the cost....even if you're using top shelf components.

Not my JK box....

X67QTYIl.jpg

But inspiration for my JL box. Heres the current mock up. Still a work in progress with layout, but the wiring will all feed into a sealed relay box under hood.

0gRk4Xkl.jpg

Last edited:

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
1: Crimped butt connectors under shrink tube.

2: Crimped/ shrink tubed eyelets attached by nut to one of the many grounding posts under the hood (I did mine directly to the battery)

3: No.....no electrical tape anywhere.

4: Yes, theres a couple open locations Jeep engineered in to the JL to allow wire looms to pass through from the engine bay through or around the firewall. I was surprised how much they catered to the end user for mods. Theres at least one hole in the firewall around the electrical area with a blank rubber plug if you want to go through, or what I used, was the eyelet on the driver side hood baffle (its foam) that allows you to get a 3/4" loom of cable for whatever out of the engine bay around the firewall into the cowl area (which you can then sneak into the cabin by folding the windshield and closing it on top). I did the latter, since I had a pre-fab wire harness.

5: For safety.......yes. Was I stupid and was simply lucky I didn't get poked by installing the wiring without disconnecting? Also yes.

Mind you, I did "phone in" the wiring install to a standard that is below what Id consider "professional". Though, I did make sure everything is A: water resistant, and B: entirely safe (correct gauge wiring, relay, fused, no chaffing/ rub points, no kinks, etc). Having a pre made wire harness is a big help with the safety aspect though. As long as you don't pinch wires or put them where they'd melt, chafe, crush, or snag....you won't have to worry about burning your jeep down.

Once I accumulate more accessories (more lights, winch, CB, HAM, PA/ loud speaker) all that 'temporary' wiring will be gutted and fully replaced by using a dedicated control center commanding a dedicated fused/ relayed power box. That way all the big draw power is kept under hood on the 'hot' side of the firewall (where it should be). You can buy one for $300-$500.....but building them is half the fun, and well below 1/2 the cost....even if you're using top shelf components.

Not my JK box....

X67QTYIl.jpg

But inspiration for my JL box. Heres the current mock up. Still a work in progress with layout, but the wiring will all feed into a sealed relay box under hood.

0gRk4Xkl.jpg
Thanks so much for the detailed response, incredibly helpful. Is it enough to disconnect the main battery only, or do I need to disconnect the secondary battery as well. Do you crimp AND use shrink tube, or one or the other? Thanks again!

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to disconnect both. The accessory battery still fully energizes the electrical system, and IIRC has enough power to drive the starter for a start sequence on its own. I believe separating the two ground cables from one another on the main battery post bus will open both circuits.......but Id consult you tube to be sure ( I haven't tried it, but it looks like that would do it to me).

Use string tube over the crimped butt connector. The butt connector permanently marries both leads, and the shrink tube makes it water resistant.

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heres a transplanted post from another thread on the same subject. I just used the RC mounts to throw on some Rigid D-SS spots.

I just got the RC kit in, and was able to mount up the Rigid D-SS's.

eEttvV9l.jpg

Heres my thoughts....

....In no way am I trying to bash on Rough country here....their $99 package deal is still a good value.....but I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the lights.

The mounts are thin stamped sheet metal (to be expected at this price point) but they are lopsided...noticeably. This is some lax QC.

HEk8q1wl.jpg

Also, the lights are definitely painted (again, to be expected at this price point), but there are a number of bubbles all around the housing. I could see this paint fading and flaking off after just a season or two in the salty north.

A9pHDkDl.jpg

Again....not trying to rub RC too much.... but the lopsided brackets are just a bit over the edge for me in the QC department. Value price point or not.

Im still going to use them, but either on the bumper or as reverse lights.

The mounts themselves are a heavy gauge steel, and are powder coated in a rough texture matte finish. They do sit quite low though. The mounting bolt for the Rigid and RC cubes come in contact with the cowl. I ended up having to take off 5 threads from the bottom to get enough clearance.

pQvqXOll.jpg

But other than that, I really like the mount. It puts the cubes well off to the side and down low out of my field of vision.

B6DVLWml.jpg

Overall Im very pleased with this setup.

VnTwodVl.jpg

4qXfzUll.jpg

I also ordered 3 sets of covers too. Amber, to help with visibility in snow/ dust, smoke, to reduce total output if I need to, and DOT approved blackout covers (its a $250/ea fine for having uncovered off road lamps mounted above factory headlights.) Quadreatec had them on sale for like $7....so I just went nuts.

DK52pURl.jpg
I just uploaded a video showing the D-SS spots.

As usual, the video does not do the actual light output justice. Its not blow your socks off bright, but it is impressive. An excellent enhancement to the already good factory lights (I changed the factory bulbs out for Philips +100's...a big improvement unto themselves). The thing that I like the most about them, is the side shooter feature. With the lights mounted so far back and close to my head, the side shooter beams fill my entire field of view. They brightly illuminate everything off center of the vehicle's lane to the edge of my vision on either side, but without being overpoweringly bright. Easily illuminates every path at a 4 way stop....which is a huge plus for me when I run unmarked forestry trails and am not sure which turn to make.

I also tried out the two different filters I got with them (amber and smoke). The amber takes all the blue out of the light. It makes it look more like the incandescent headlights. Good for dusty/ snowy conditions. Reduces glare considerably. The smoke lenses reduce total light output by 2/3's. I guess this could be good if you're following someone a few hundred yards up trail.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
You need to disconnect both. The accessory battery still fully energizes the electrical system, and IIRC has enough power to drive the starter for a start sequence on its own. I believe separating the two ground cables from one another on the main battery post bus will open both circuits.......but Id consult you tube to be sure ( I haven't tried it, but it looks like that would do it to me).

Use string tube over the crimped butt connector. The butt connector permanently marries both leads, and the shrink tube makes it water resistant.
Your talking about disconnecting battery if you are direct connecting to it correct? I’m thinking you don’t need to disconnect the battery if you’re using the Aux. Wires as long as the Aux Switch is off or am I wrong?

Thanks!

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your talking about disconnecting battery if you are direct connecting to it correct? I’m thinking you don’t need to disconnect the battery if you’re using the Aux. Wires as long as the Aux Switch is off or am I wrong?

Thanks!

Ohhhhh...

Yeah. Thats like installing a ceiling fan with just the light switch off instead of opening the breaker. You'll probably be just fine, but having the extra insurance might be a good thing, if not just for piece of mind.

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Heres a transplanted post from another thread on the same subject. I just used the RC mounts to throw on some Rigid D-SS spots.
So you bought the $99 RC kit, basically threw away their light cubes, bought the Rigid D-SS spots, upgraded the bulbs and bam, you had your solution? Am I tracking you here?

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Installed tonight. Good solid bracket and easy install.

20180301_203929.jpg

20180301_204311.jpg
Still happy with your cube light decision, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some...does the hood eat up any of the light or are the offset enough to avoid that? Appreciate the feedback...
Sponsored