Rotors- Why do they look like this?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
It will be interesting to see how the brakes on the Jeep last. I guess if they're only warrantied for 12,000 miles, I should not expect much.
The factory warranty is 12k miles for wear items. Your brakes, if installed and working correctly, should last many thousands of miles. If you have the heavy duty brake package you can get over 90k out of them. Since your rotor is already screwed, obviously that’s not gonna happen for at least one corner.

Good luck
Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
that's incredible. I mean, for drums I can see, but disc brakes at 110k? wow... our Honda Fit would go through pads every 45k miles or so, rotors at 95k, but a lot of that was like 80/20 city to highway driving
The truck is the first vehicle I've ever had with rotors all the way around, and I really had no firrm expectations, but I did figure I would have to have to change the pads out long before now. I guess with the Jeep I will have two data points. Will these brakes go over 100k miles too? If so, I must just be very easy on brakes.

It's not like I actually care about trying to get the brakes on the Jeep to last forever. I'm already budgeting for a set of tires per year. I like the mud tires so far, and I encounter a lot of mud on the trail, so I don't think I want to switch to all terrains for better highway performance. I expect my commute to melt mudders in a year, but I might be surprised.

Anyway, I'm just nattering, and I feel I should apologize for detouring attention away from the OP's rotor issue, and the mysterious white powder that keeps emerging. I have no clue what that substance could be, but tracing it to the source would probably be illuminating.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do we have a picture of the white stuff yet? What does it feel like?

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
There are too many variables that are possible to know for sure what this white stuff is. I get all kinds of unknown crud on my cars from driving. Could be from someone discarded garbage since there many litterbugs these days.

Brake rotor is okay but needs to be turned. Never put new pads on a used rotor surface and expect it to seat correctly. You do want to stop without concern? Then do the brakes right and replace all pads with exact same kind and not a mismatch brands side to side or front to rear and turn all 4 rotors.

All dealerships and any reputable repair shop has brake rotor and drum turning services. Like was already stated, O'Reilly's and a few other parts stores offer rotor and maybe drum turning. There are some far less then easy brake caliper and brake system bleeding issues to deal with if you are not very mechanically experienced or inclined.

I call it like I see it too. If your idea of learning brake system repair is by watching some random YouTube videos, you may not be getting all you really need. I'm not impressed just because some person can make a greatly edited and seemingly informative video about car repairs. I'm all for the DIY minded attitude, but do it in a way that has some proven methods and safety checks in place when it comes to tires, brakes, suspension, steering, etc...

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Turning rotors still exists, but too many shops have decided to just replace instead of teaching a tech how to properly use a cutting lathe. The cost of new rotors just isn't high enough for people to care

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
Do we have a picture of the white stuff yet? What does it feel like?
I didn't think to get a pic b/c i was hurried to get it off there not to ruin the wheels. It's almost a bit tacky/sticky kind of like a hardened maple syrup just white.

Drove the Jeep 40 miles other day and it hasn't come back.

OP
OP

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I call it like I see it too. If your idea of learning brake system repair is by watching some random YouTube videos, you may not be getting all you really need. I'm not impressed just because some person can make a greatly edited and seemingly informative video about car repairs. I'm all for the DIY minded attitude, but do it in a way that has some proven methods and safety checks in place when it comes to tires, brakes, suspension, steering, etc...
I know my mechanical ability limits. That's oil changes and swapping out a wheel.

I'll be taking it to a shop this week for an inspection. Not going to dealer since it's apparently way past brake warranty.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That's interesting. I have no idea how the brakes are going to do on this Jeep over time, but my Ford F150 still has the factory brakes after 110,000 miles. The shop has never even hinted that I have a brake job in my near future. I was getting ready to change them on general principles anyway, but now I've decided to sell the truck.

It will be interesting to see how the brakes on the Jeep last. I guess if they're only warrantied for 12,000 miles, I should not expect much.
I would expect them to last at least 50k, the OEM pads aren't a hard-biting pad, these are typical low dusting high mileage pads. They don't stop well but should last a long time. I'd imagine a more agressive pad like those Powerstops would last about 40k.

I just wish we had more choices for aggressive pads like Stoptechs, EBC, and Hawk would get on the Jeep JL bandwagon :(
I'm quite surprised regarding the lack of aftermarket brake support for these vehicles since a large % of owners go with much heavier loads than the OEM brakes are engineered for.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I'm quite surprised regarding the lack of aftermarket brake support for these vehicles since a large % of owners go with much heavier loads than the OEM brakes are engineered for.
Plus these things are insanely expensive, so mostly the only people who can afford them are middle aged or older. It's hard to avoid putting on weight as you age, so JL owners probably also tend to be on the heavier side. They should probably come stock with Brembo or Wilwood brakes, and maybe a parachute for good measure. (Or maybe I'm the only new Jeep owner carrying around 50 pounds of belly fat, in which case I apologize for my slovenly physique. :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:)
Sponsored