Rhino Rack Nut Dropped Down in Mount

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Well, to add to my aggravation with the Rhino Rack system, the nut in one of the mounts dropped down through the mount, so now the bolt doesn't catch when I install my rack leg. Before I rip the casting off the roof, clean all that butyl and re-install it, does anybody have any tips on how to resolve the issue without having to take it off? Then once it's off, does anybody have any tips on getting that bolt to stay where it's supposed to?

I had this issue with another one but I caught it before I installed it. I super glued the nut against the casting and put some hot glue in there. But now another one had the nut drop and not sure how to handle it.
Sponsored

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
This happened to me with two of the castings in my kit. The only thing that worked for me was removing them and doing what you did to glue the nut in place. Definitely gonna follow the thread to see if anybody has a more clever way of doing it that requires less disassembly.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This happened to me with two of the castings in my kit. The only thing that worked for me was removing them and doing what you did to glue the nut in place. Definitely gonna follow the thread to see if anybody has a more clever way of doing it that requires less disassembly.
Is there a trick to removing them? Should I separate the casting from the rubber/foam pad, or take the rubber/foam pad and casting totally off, then re-butyl it? Like start from factory again? I saw one picture of where the person took the casting off from that rubber foam pad thing, but he was saying his was broke.

I do have a plan going forward. Once I get it off, I'm going to try to 3d print a spacer washer out of ABS and see if I can get it to bring the nut up high enough. There are small things with the rhino rack that I'm annoyed with and wished they spent a few more hours trying to come up with solutions like that. We'll see if it works or not.

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
I just removed the whole thing. Removing the casting from the pad seems like it could introduce new potential leak points. The 3d printed spacer sounds like a great idea!

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up removing the entire casting, pad and all. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I don't want to be doing this all the time.

I ended up creating a small spacer washer out of ABS plastic, hoping it will hold with the heat. I think it will... I don't know why Rhino doesn't do this from the factory. It's really frustrating when one of those nuts drops down.

no-washer.jpg

washer-in.jpg

washer.jpg
Sponsored