Sponsored

Mounting RTT to Rhino Rack

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How is everyone mounting their tent to the Rhino Rack platform? I'm thinking of going the bolt and channel nut route with the grooves in the planks. I know Maximus 3 @Maximus-3 has a lag bolt kit for the same concept but not having an engineering or physics degree I question the strength of the plank groove edges when driving into wind. I have this mental picture of it bending the ridges on the channels and pulling the bolts and nuts out.

Here is the reference video that I'm following.
Sponsored

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
Thanks for the idea, was wondering how to put my tent on in a fast way, and this looks perfect.
Those channels are very strong so I woudn't be worried about them bending, I would use more than 4 points, maybe do three rows of bolts

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted uni-strut to the mounting rails on my Freespirit Recreation tent, then used stainless bolts, washers, and channel nuts to mount the uni-strut to the Rhino Rack.
Previously I modified the existing hardware on my old Smitybilt tent to work with the Rhino Rack.

20190515_103505.jpg

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I mounted uni-strut to the mounting rails on my Freespirit Recreation tent, then used stainless bolts, washers, and channel nuts to mount the uni-strut to the Rhino Rack.
Previously I modified the existing hardware on my old Smitybilt tent to work with the Rhino Rack.

20190515_103505.jpg
I was thinking to use the grooves in the planks like in the video but i may reconsider. If i do go that route i will also use more than just four points. How much higher is the tent if you use the uni-strut?

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking to use the grooves in the planks like in the video but i may reconsider. If i do go that route i will also use more than just four points. How much higher is the tent if you use the uni-strut?
I used deep uni-strut, which is 1 5/8" tall, so I head room for the bolts and a wrench.

Sponsored

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ) & 2019 JLUR
Occupation
USMC

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I'm resurrecting this thread to see what new methods people have used. The unistrut idea above isnt a bad option. I dont like how my mounting channels (Roofnest Falcon) line up with the pioneer rack slats to just drill. (too close to an edge, or I'd have to go too far off center). I'd rather not add height by using strut either, but if I must I will. Just looking for more options.

stravafred

First Name
StravaFred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I just installed Roofnest Condor Overland on Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. I was able to make room for my Zarges, and the Condor Overland has slots to mount more stuff.
Just a few small cuts in one pioneer platform slat, after moving the tent about 1/4" off-center. I'm very happy with how it came out and the cut was easy with a dremel tool.
Biggest challenge is getting the rear tent mounting nuts onto the bolts with limited space under the platform. Front is easier with the freedom panels removed. I used a thin wood shim to hold the nut against the bold while wrenching it a quarter turn at a time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting RTT to Rhino Rack IMG_5517
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting RTT to Rhino Rack IMG_5516
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting RTT to Rhino Rack IMG_5551

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting RTT to Rhino Rack IMG_5554

IMG_5554.jpeg

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm resurrecting this thread to see what new methods people have used. The unistrut idea above isnt a bad option. I dont like how my mounting channels (Roofnest Falcon) line up with the pioneer rack slats to just drill. (too close to an edge, or I'd have to go too far off center). I'd rather not add height by using strut either, but if I must I will. Just looking for more options.
I posted my solution over on this thread. I wish I had painted the superstrut black though for a cleaner look. Will do that next time I take it off.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/installing-rooftop-tents.68522/page-4#post-1963445
Sponsored