Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Fitted the backbone system on the weekend. Passenger side first. Took a couple of hours. I took my time to ensure no mistakes were made. Drivers side went on a lot quicker. Not too difficult once you know how.

Now just waiting on the Pioneer platform to arrive. Ordered it on eBay and saved around $200.
Sponsored

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ) & 2019 JLUR
Occupation
USMC
$600 for the actual backbone system.. So it should be just a tad more expensive than the JK one.
Glad this arrived, I only sent a message last week inquiring when Australia would get the JL backbones and the guy had no set answer.

No I just need to decide if I want to spend a couple hundred extra for the quick-mount version...
Anyone with quick disconnect Rhino-Rack Backbone experience see anything like this: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-backbone-pioneer-platform-design-flaw.40634/

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
I am using the low height legs, but same principle of the single middle bolt. I haven't had any problems yet, but not using a roof top tent, I haven't had the loads your setup may be under.
There are lugs on the bottom of the legs that fit into the backbone mounts. Your picture doesn't appear to show these. Have they worn or were they not on the leg to begin with?

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ) & 2019 JLUR
Occupation
USMC
I am using the low height legs, but same principle of the single middle bolt. I haven't had any problems yet, but not using a roof top tent, I haven't had the loads your setup may be under.
There are lugs on the bottom of the legs that fit into the backbone mounts. Your picture doesn't appear to show these. Have they worn or were they not on the leg to begin with?
The lugs you mention did not come with the quick disconnect mounting points. I can see how they would prevent travel in the X direction (Y axis length of the Jeep) which would assist in making sure their tiny M8x20mm single mounting bolt doesn't strip with off-road travel.

I'll have to purchase another set of mounting legs, but without Rhino-Rack sending me another rear caster I don't know if I can drill and tap the current stripped one.
Sponsored