Rugged Ridge Low/High mount Snorkel system for RHD JL

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
I am interested in the new Rugged Ridge Snorkel system for my JL. I don't like the Mopar and Safari snorkels having to cut into the bonnet and leave a big part of the snorkel exposed on the outside of the vehicle. The Rugged Ridge design is much more appealing.

Understanding there may be differences in the LHD and RHD models even though the airbox is in the same place. I asked the question of Omix/Rugged Ridge support sending them a photo of an RHD engine bay. This is the reply;

"We do not have a RHD JL to test on so we cannot guarantee fitment. We are doing our best to get our hands on one so we can guarantee fitment of the current snorkel system or decide if there is enough of a market to make a new piece if it is necessary."

Hopefully, the results will be favourable.
Sponsored

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
I asked Quadratec this question and received will not fit. But from all my research the 2.2D Aus has the same air box I will take the gamble in Feb and order one as my jeep arrives March. A very practical installation no cutting which is a bonus in my books.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked Quadratec this question and received will not fit. But from all my research the 2.2D Aus has the same air box I will take the gamble in Feb and order one as my jeep arrives March. A very practical installation no cutting which is a bonus in my books.
Hey Joe, I saw that response on the Quadratec site. Was left somewhat dubious with the response, hence raising the question with the supplier.
Unless the airbox is actually different for the diesel, the only other issue I can see may be the positioning of the brake fluid reservoir. It looks to me that it would clear the reservoir, but it would be close.

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
Was thinking the same, even if it covers it the center section of the snorkel looks easy to remove so maybe very doable. I tried to get part numbers for the air box without luck the air filter looks the same for the L4 engine as the usa 3.6L. Someone needs to be a test bunny I think..

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
Yeah Quadratec told me it wouldn't with the Aus 2.2L D either. But looking at pictures of engine bay's that side of our engine bay looks like it has more room to fit it... Surely would be a little but of play with the fitment due to only having silicon/clamps.

2019-11-20_11-45-56.jpg

Sponsored

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
I think it has more to do with the airbox and if it compatible once one of us takes the gamble to see (which I will in Feb) I think we will not know for sure

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
I think it has more to do with the airbox and if it compatible once one of us takes the gamble to see (which I will in Feb) I think we will not know for sure
Yeah true. I thought on one of the SEMA videos the guy said it will fit export diesel. I'm thinking it will because it's only the airbox intake part, not the actual airbox. I'm determined not to end up with an ugly mopar one!

2019-11-21_8-32-48.jpg

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
I agree with you about the Mopar one, I will take the plunge once I know my delivery date and order one if it doesn't fit maybe change the airbox to the usa one. I just don't see jeep making a different air for the 2.2 when there is already one been produced for the 3.6 & 2.0 motors in the states.

Joey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 grand cherokee
Spoke to Victor at SBR Off road about the rugged ridge snorkel yesterday, he went to sema and was saying with the 2.2 the brake booster is going to fowl it and believes air flow is going to be an issue. Also creates a massive blind spot for Aussie drives and recommend I wait till AEV one as it is a "more suited" for us.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spoke to Victor at SBR Off road about the rugged ridge snorkel yesterday, he went to sema and was saying with the 2.2 the brake booster is going to fowl it and believes air flow is going to be an issue. Also creates a massive blind spot for Aussie drives and recommend I wait till AEV one as it is a "more suited" for us.
All valid concerns. Thanks for the update. Will keep a watch out for the AEV option

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I noticed this on a U.K. site...

https://jeepey.com/product/safari-snorkel-jl-ss1080hf/

0D101ACD-68A5-41BE-BDB0-E6E7FE861737.jpeg

It doesnā€™t specifically state that itā€™s for RHD Wranglers but I ā€˜m guessing they wouldnā€™t be listing it if itā€™s not. Also it appears to be made by an Australian based company.

I share the concerns above about the blind spot too.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed this on a U.K. site...

https://jeepey.com/product/safari-snorkel-jl-ss1080hf/

0D101ACD-68A5-41BE-BDB0-E6E7FE861737.jpeg

It doesnā€™t specifically state that itā€™s for RHD Wranglers but I ā€˜m guessing they wouldnā€™t be listing it if itā€™s not. Also it appears to be made by an Australian based company.

I share the concerns above about the blind spot too.
Thanks for the reference Rudolph. Yes, it is available in Australia. The Safari snorkel is similar to the Mopar one, requiring a hole cut in the bonnet and most of the plumbing on the outside of the vehicle. Something I prefer to avoid.

https://www.safari4x4.com.au/products/jeep/wrangler/jl-all-models-all-engines

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Thanks for the reference Rudolph. Yes, it is available in Australia. The Safari snorkel is similar to the Mopar one, requiring a hole cut in the bonnet and most of the plumbing on the outside of the vehicle. Something I prefer to avoid.

https://www.safari4x4.com.au/products/jeep/wrangler/jl-all-models-all-engines
ah, ok, I figured you guys are probably are aware of it but I couldnā€™t see it mentioned in the thread. This and the Mopar one are the only ones currently for sale by U.K. vendors, Iā€™ll be interested to see if you guys find a more suitable RHD solution.

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
Have anyone pulled the trigger for a RHD Rugged Ridge Low/High mount snorkel in Australia?

I got a 3.6L so hopping it will just fit in with our export model. This is the first"Major" mod i am thinking of doing to the JLUR next month, along with a new set of 35" Tires, the 32" muddies that comes with the wrangler are suicidal at best....to drive in wet condition.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Not that i know of from all the different forums and facebook groups from what ive seen.

Im in two minds about the snorkels... I want one.. I like the idea of the rugged ridge one, but I personally think it looks pretty average.. But you dont have to cut your bonnet which is nice. Though having all those joins im not a fan of in their system.. Adds to the risk of something not sealing properly as well.

I have been looking at the tried, tested and proven safari snorkels.... While i also am not a massive fan of the design, i prefer it over the rugged ridge one, though you do have to cut your bonnet and through the Rubicon sticker =(
Sponsored