Sponsored

Return to center steering not as fluid because solid axle?

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello Guys...

This is my first jeep and front solid axle vehicle, wondering is it normal that you have to help the steering wheel more get to center especially close to the end when exiting a turn vs other cars?

Can adding caster with adjustable LCAs make the steering more able to return to center easily?

This is a 19 JLUS stock with tires @ 30psi.

Thanks!
JC
Sponsored

Last edited:

Amric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Rubicon, 2018 JL Rubicon
You can usually fix this by adding "Caster" (not camber) using adjustable control arms. Lengthening the front lower control arms is the usual method. In my opinion, the factory sets caster too low, and adding a half degree additional caster would help return to center greatly.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Yes this is normal especially with a vehicle with less than 10,000 miles on it. I would give it more time/miles. If still noticeable then make changes.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Noticed this the first day. I just chalked it up to the silly electronic steering.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
JC,

You add caster with adjustable LCA, not camber. Yes, it will help a little.
It's probably more to do with the recirculating ball on the steering box rather than the traditional rack and pinion of a car steering box.
This. Increasing caster helps, but the steering system itself is the limiting factor. Every time I drive a vehicle with tight, responsive, precise steering immediately before or after my Jeep it becomes glaringly apparent. Half the steering input in my wife’s Lexus nets twice the steering reaction as when I’m in the Jeep. It just takes getting used to and adapting your driving style. I’ve done most all that can be done and it is what it is. Just drive accordingly.

OP
OP

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
JC,

You add caster with adjustable LCA, not camber. Yes, it will help a little.

This. Increasing caster helps, but the steering system itself is the limiting factor. Every time I drive a vehicle with tight, responsive, precise steering immediately before or after my Jeep it becomes glaringly apparent. Half the steering input in my wife’s Lexus nets twice the steering reaction as when I’m in the Jeep. It just takes getting used to and adapting your driving style. I’ve done most all that can be done and it is what it is. Just drive accordingly.
Chocolate,

Did you change caster in you JLU with stock height? How did you like it?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
x3....I wouldn't say the live axle is at fault here....more of an alignment issue and I agree the electric-over assist is lackluster and "weird", but I mostly notice that up against a curb or in low speed maneuvers

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Chocolate,

Did you change caster in you JLU with stock height? How did you like it?
Longer Mopar LCA and Teraflex geometry correction brackets. I haven’t measured since the installation but driving it tells me that it has increased sufficiently.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I have not noticed any sluggishness in return to center on my ‘18 JLU Sport, and that is very important to me, as a one-armed man.

It snaps right back, as expected.

I don’t doubt the reality of the various steering issues others are experiencing, but mine has been flawless since I dropped the tire pressure in the first few days. It was a bit squirrely at 40psi as delivered, but calmed right down at 30.

3400 miles in now.
Sponsored