Replacing Factory Lug Nuts

digitalredeye

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I recently purchased the Gorilla factory style acorn lug nuts that include locking lug nuts for my 2021 Wrangler Willys. I have a question regarding changing out the lug nuts. If I remove a single lug nut at a time and replace it with the Gorilla lug nut, can I do that without jacking up the Jeep and tightening up the lug nuts in the criss-cross pattern? So essentially I'm taking off a single lug nut, immediately replacing it with new lug nut and tightening it back onto the Jeep (1 by 1) until the entire wheel is done. Is that acceptable and safe?
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, you are good to go one at a time. Since the JL has M14 studs instead of the M12s that the JK had, you need to tighten them to 130 ft/lbs.

OP
OP

digitalredeye

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, you are good to go one at a time. Since the JL has M14 studs instead of the M12s that the JK had, you need to tighten them to 130 ft/lbs.
Thanks for the info Buck. I guess now I need a torque wrench.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my 2021 JL Rubicon OE lug nuts with the same Gorilla lug nuts. I did exactly what you are asking about. There is very little additional pressure on a single torque area (lug nut) when the two adjacent are at torque. The reason you torque and release torque on opposite (sort of opposite) lugs is to reduce uneven torque tension across the wheel mounting surface. Anyway, one at a time is no problem. FOR SURE use a calibrated torque wrench.

Sponsored

OP
OP

digitalredeye

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Ok I am confused, I read that the lug nuts have the thread of 1/2-20. I am reading here that the thread is 14x1.5 mm. While these threads appear the same, they are most definitely not. The metric thread will start on the SAE thread but quickly become tight. The result is damaged threads. It is critical that the correct thread matches the lug and lug nut.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Michael, pretty sure the New JL's are 14x1.5, Metric. The older models were 1/2-20. My stock willys lug nuts are a 22mm socket.

G.

OP
OP

digitalredeye

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I am confused, I read that the lug nuts have the thread of 1/2-20. I am reading here that the thread is 14x1.5 mm. While these threads appear the same, they are most definitely not. The metric thread will start on the SAE thread but quickly become tight. The result is damaged threads. It is critical that the correct thread matches the lug and lug nut.
My manual states:
Lug Nuts - M14 x 1.5 Thread Size

And as Gary stated, you use a 22mm socket.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
130 ft/lb torque for wheel lug nuts and 59 ft/lb on the spare tire lugs.

Lugs= 14mm x 1.50 Thread

Suggest those that are looking for lug nuts to highly consider these:
Gorilla Automotive 96644BDX Black Factory Style Wheel Lock System (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size, 24-Pack)

Sponsored

OP
OP

digitalredeye

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@digitalredeye

130 ft/lb torque for wheel lug nuts and 59 ft/lb on the spare tire lugs.

Lugs= 14mm x 1.50 Thread

I recommend Gorilla Wheel Locks 96644BDX (pack of 24)
I bought a torque wrench just for this. I drove about 30 miles and reconfirmed the tightness.

Also, the lugs were so tight from the factory that I slightly twisted the lug wrench that came with Jeep. I used my breaker bar for the rest of the job.

The breaker bar and 22mm socket will stay in the back of the Jeep along with the included jack.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a torque wrench just for this. I drove about 30 miles and reconfirmed the tightness.

Also, the lugs were so tight from the factory that I slightly twisted the lug wrench that came with Jeep. I used my breaker bar for the rest of the job.

The breaker bar and 22mm socket will stay in the back of the Jeep along with the included jack.
@digitalredeye

I keep a 16" breaker bar with the appropriate size socket in the JL at all times.

I have the socket attached to the breaker bar and the tool is placed in a 18" long piece of gray, foam pipe insulation. I keep this affair, in the small compartment where the scissor jack is. Fits right in on top. With the foam pipe insulation, I have no metal to metal related rattles.

I learned long ago, you can be up chitt creek so to speak, sometimes trying to break lugs loose with the little tire iron that comes with the Jeep.

Once you see someone standing on a tire iron trying to break a lug loose and the lug snaps off, etc., you realize wise man/gal carries a breaker bar with socket as I do in the vehicle at all times.

I never personally use or allow use of power tools on my lug nuts.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gorilla lug nuts whether you get the regular or the splined are a very good lug nut offering.

Warranty is very good on them also. IF, you ever have any problems with a Gorilla or say you need to replace a lug nut, just call Gorilla at.... Ph. 325-585-2852 and they will assist you. They are quick to send out replacements, etc..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)