Replacing bent bow arm on Soft Top

tsaimh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Howdy! I made stupid mistake yesterday and bent my passenger side bow arm on the soft top. I have new arm on its way and was trying to get the old one off. REmoved the screw to the hinge and I cannot seem to pull off the arm. It's like its pressed in to the hinge. I attached a picture of what I am looking. Anybody successfully replace this arm? Appreciate any help...

IMG_E3472.JPG
Sponsored

Jean1982

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 2018
Howdy! I made stupid mistake yesterday and bent my passenger side bow arm on the soft top. I have new arm on its way and was trying to get the old one off. REmoved the screw to the hinge and I cannot seem to pull off the arm. It's like its pressed in to the hinge. I attached a picture of what I am looking. Anybody successfully replace this arm? Appreciate any help...
Did you get that sorted out ?
I'm in the same situation. Mines are bented on both side. Found the part on Mopar (just the arm, not the hinge) but curious to see if it even possible to remove this bar from the hinge.

OP
OP

tsaimh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get that sorted out ?
I'm in the same situation. Mines are bented on both side. Found the part on Mopar (just the arm, not the hinge) but curious to see if it even possible to remove this bar from the hinge.
Hi! Yes! I reached out to a few members to get some feedback. Even though the bar is difficult to remove. it is possible.

The method was using two hammers. Wedge the claw of one of the hammers behind the pivot and hit the head with the other hammer to break it loose. I put some cardboard behind the wedge hammer to minimize scratches. It took quite a bit of work but I was able to get it off and replaced without having to remove any additional parts.

These arms were on backorder as well but I was able to ask my dealership where they were in stock at other dealerships. They gave me a contact of a dealership in Iowa and I purchased and them ship me the part ASAP.

Good Luck!

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hi! Yes! I reached out to a few members to get some feedback. Even though the bar is difficult to remove. it is possible.

The method was using two hammers. Wedge the claw of one of the hammers behind the pivot and hit the head with the other hammer to break it loose. I put some cardboard behind the wedge hammer to minimize scratches. It took quite a bit of work but I was able to get it off and replaced without having to remove any additional parts.

These arms were on backorder as well but I was able to ask my dealership where they were in stock at other dealerships. They gave me a contact of a dealership in Iowa and I purchased and them ship me the part ASAP.

Good Luck!
Did you have a part number?

Sponsored

Kevcass42

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Bikini Blue)
I only needed to replace the passenger side and the part # was 68506110AA
Thank you, thank you, thank you. My wife just made the mistake of trying to pull into the garage and both bow arms got bent. I didn't even have to be one of those annoying noobs who post a question asked 1000 times already. Did a quick search for "5th bow lifting arm" and this was one of the top threads. Thanks!!!

Kevcass42

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Bikini Blue)
Oh, quick question. Is the part # the same for the JL and JLU soft top?

OP
OP

tsaimh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My quick google search seems to indicate that the JL and JLU BOW ARM arm part numbers are different. It would be best to call a dealership or in-line dealer to make sure.

DaveO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Punk'n Metallic
This happened to me, too. I bent the 5th bow bar on the drivers side. It was my own fault....but now how to fix it? I found this thread and was able to pop it off. It took a bit of leverage, but it worked.

I took the bracket off the top and bent the 5th bow bar off and just had a stubby piece to get off the pivot point. Disconnect the cable from the lever by taking a screwdriver and manually moving the internal piece of metal and that will take slack off the end of the cable. Pop the cable from the plastic holders off with a pry bar/screwdriver/panel removal tool.

After a number of unsuccessful attempts, i clamped the piece down on the workbench and used a "gorilla bar" to pop it off. It's all about leverage with this little thing. I put a piece of cardboard under the Gorilla bar to prevent marring the surface and gave a slow, but big push. It popped off. It popped up about 3 feet in the air after it gave way with all the leverage I was giving it--so watch out.

Now i will order the replacement (68506111AA) and figure out how to get it back on. I'm assuming just line it up with the keyway slot and slightly tap it on with the right hammer. Clamping it down on the bench again sounds like the right way to go.

2020-09-27 00.02.30.jpg

2020-09-26 17.47.24.jpg

2020-09-26 17.47.27.jpg

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2018
I replaced mine today - and after reading these threads (thank you!), tried the two hammer solution above to get the arm off - worked really well.

Sponsored

FLECK-5

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Is this the 2 hammer method? I tried it for a minute and it doesn’t appear to have made any difference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing bent bow arm on Soft Top D8222966-4A8B-4B08-8366-03A5D6404B83

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
A tie rod removal tool aka pickle fork will also work

FLECK-5

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I ended up using a small gear puller. I couldn’t get all 3 jaws behind the bar but was able to hold one jaw behind it and popped it off.

Ron Humphrey

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2D, 2020 Unlimited 4D
Occupation
Network Engineer
This happened to me, too. I bent the 5th bow bar on the drivers side. It was my own fault....but now how to fix it? I found this thread and was able to pop it off. It took a bit of leverage, but it worked.

I took the bracket off the top and bent the 5th bow bar off and just had a stubby piece to get off the pivot point. Disconnect the cable from the lever by taking a screwdriver and manually moving the internal piece of metal and that will take slack off the end of the cable. Pop the cable from the plastic holders off with a pry bar/screwdriver/panel removal tool.

After a number of unsuccessful attempts, i clamped the piece down on the workbench and used a "gorilla bar" to pop it off. It's all about leverage with this little thing. I put a piece of cardboard under the Gorilla bar to prevent marring the surface and gave a slow, but big push. It popped off. It popped up about 3 feet in the air after it gave way with all the leverage I was giving it--so watch out.

Now i will order the replacement (68506111AA) and figure out how to get it back on. I'm assuming just line it up with the keyway slot and slightly tap it on with the right hammer. Clamping it down on the bench again sounds like the right way to go.

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing bent bow arm on Soft Top D8222966-4A8B-4B08-8366-03A5D6404B83

Was that the correct part number? When looking at mine the part number you listed appears to be the rear arm, not the one facing forward. That looks to be a built in part of the entire rail.

rear rail.jpg

DaveO

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Punk'n Metallic
Was that the correct part number? When looking at mine the part number you listed appears to be the rear arm, not the one facing forward. That looks to be a built in part of the entire rail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Replacing bent bow arm on Soft Top rear rail
It was the correct part number for me and the pics that i posted and pics from prev posters. The part you have circled in your diagram looks like a different part. It doesnt look like the part i replaced.
Sponsored