Sponsored

Renewable Diesel fuel?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
Anyone have any experience using Renewable Diesel (like that offered by 76 or Propel) in their 3.0T EcoDiesels?

All claim to meet the D975 spec recommended in the Users Manual, but JeepChat won't make a statement either way about whether or not its prohibited; only saying it's "not recommended".
Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Not yet but I plan on using Propel DieselHPR soon. I used to use their B20 in my Duramax and Passat and really liked it. I don't foresee any issues with their DieselHPR. I'm curious to know why Jeepchat would "not recommend." Maybe it's a big oil conspiracy! ;)

herkdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Anyone have any experience using Renewable Diesel (like that offered by 76 or Propel) in their 3.0T EcoDiesels?

All claim to meet the D975 spec recommended in the Users Manual, but JeepChat won't make a statement either way about whether or not its prohibited; only saying it's "not recommended".
Why wouldn't you just buy diesel at the pump?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
Why wouldn't you just buy diesel at the pump?
it’s in fuel pumps. It’s identical to regular diesel just made from used cooking oils and i believe soybean oil. Basically a much better refined version of the stuff I used to get for free to dump in my 300D Mercedes

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
actually, Renewable Diesel isn't like the SVO, WVO and/or BioDiesel we used to put in our old MBZs; it's a different process using different stock. (hint; it's not all something Vegans would approve of.)

there's pretty good summary of it that you might enjoy on the Neste site:
https://www.neste.com/what-difference-between-renewable-diesel-and-traditional-biodiesel-if-any

it’s in fuel pumps. It’s identical to regular diesel just made from used cooking oils and i believe soybean oil. Basically a much better refined version of the stuff I used to get for free to dump in my 300D Mercedes

Sponsored

herkdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
actually, Renewable Diesel isn't like the SVO, WVO and/or BioDiesel we used to put in our old MBZs; it's a different process using different stock. (hint; it's not all something Vegans would approve of.)

there's pretty good summary of it that you might enjoy on the Neste site:
https://www.neste.com/what-difference-between-renewable-diesel-and-traditional-biodiesel-if-any
Zouch, this forum is better because of your impeccable intellect and give a dang factor, especially in the for sale forum. I hope you keep posting

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
@JeepCares
any input on why we should not use Renewable Diesel (like what's sourced from 76, Propel, and others)?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Formula One Gets Its First Taste Of Sustainable Fuel

^^^The article isn't what you're looking at in there. Scroll to the bottom and there is some discussion about using renewable diesel. Guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. It is definitely worth the couple minutes to read and process.

I would bet, as he said in there that a
70 : 30
regular diesel : renewable diesel
mixture would probably still be about right for the 3.0L

I would try it if we had any here. Probably start at 10% monitor. Then go to 20%, and creep up to 30%.

Hard to say why FCA doesn't recommend it. Could be as simple as they have zero experience with it. Maybe it isn't detrimental at all, but since it is an unknown, they just say no.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
thanks for sharing that.

i suspect your last paragraph hits the nail on the head, as we've heard nothing in response in the way of any actual reasoning.

Formula One Gets Its First Taste Of Sustainable Fuel

^^^The article isn't what you're looking at in there. Scroll to the bottom and there is some discussion about using renewable diesel. Guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. It is definitely worth the couple minutes to read and process.

I would bet, as he said in there that a
70 : 30
regular diesel : renewable diesel
mixture would probably still be about right for the 3.0L

I would try it if we had any here. Probably start at 10% monitor. Then go to 20%, and creep up to 30%.

Hard to say why FCA doesn't recommend it. Could be as simple as they have zero experience with it. Maybe it isn't detrimental at all, but since it is an unknown, they just say no.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
still undecided.

entirely possible as i would really like to for a variety of reasons, but really trying to do the homework to see if there are any legitimate associated risks.

EDIT/UPDATE:
reading the Users Manual in detail reveals that FCA specs both US and Euro spec requirements for the fuel to be used in the EcoDiesel; something that would be difficult, if not impossible.
for example, the Cetane spec required by the Euro spec isn't likely met by ASTM spec fuel, and it would appear there's a water content spec required by the Euro spec that there is no equivalent of in the ASTM spec.

no wonder @JeepCares can't/won't give a straight answer; FCA deosn't even have their requirements straight!
Sponsored

Last edited: