Removed Stock Muffler

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I installed a flowmaster delta force 2 and was disappointed at the drone over 2K rpm. So instead of taking it back off I added a bottle resonator in back of the stock resonator and that fixed the issue. I still wound up spending a lot less than the Borla which most go to but even those you see come up for resale. Black painted exhaust has held up just fine so far with over 3K miles on it, and I like the look of the axle back in black.
Yes the Borla makes a nice exhaust system. I saw a video that showed three or four of them and I really like the sound of them. I just don't want to spend six $700 for full exhaust. When I can buy does
Was etc ada,,
I personally like the sound of magnaflow. It is not too loud and has no drone.
I looked at the MagnaFlow but I decided to go to the flowmaster my flowmaster will be here today sometime Friday shouldn't install it over the weekend if not Monday
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the dynomax tailpipe after removing my muffler. The install was very simple and the fit was excellent.
I took decibel readings (JLUS with premium soft top):

Stock
Idle: 60 dB (measured outside at bumper next to tailpipe)
WOT: 2nd gear 69 dB (front seat, windows up, top up)

With dynomax pipe and no muffler
Idle: 70 dB (measured outside at rear bumper)
WOT: 2nd gear 79 dB (front seat, windows and top up)

I didn’t go on the highway yet, but I’ll take dB measurements when I do (stock on the highway with the muffler was 72 dB). It is surprisingly quiet in the cabin just cruising but I’ll get actual dB readings later.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I just installed the dynomax tailpipe after removing my muffler. The install was very simple and the fit was excellent.
I took decibel readings (JLUS with premium soft top):

Stock
Idle: 60 dB (measured outside at bumper next to tailpipe)
WOT: 2nd gear 69 dB (front seat, windows up, top up)

With dynomax pipe and no muffler
Idle: 70 dB (measured outside at rear bumper)
WOT: 2nd gear 79 dB (front seat, windows and top up)

I didn’t go on the highway yet, but I’ll take dB measurements when I do (stock on the highway with the muffler was 72 dB). It is surprisingly quiet in the cabin just cruising but I’ll get actual dB readings later.
What does "WOT" stand for?

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
We had the flowmaster one installed today it was very hard to get on I have to admit I had a guy at a muffler shop that's been around 30 years put it on and I figured if anybody could do it he would without any problems and he have he took him a long time almost 2 hours it was like it didn't want to fit at all it was too small. He had to take the machine in large it and heated up with a torch to get to go on and bang on it for two hours we finally got it on. but I have to make it sound does sound good I think is louder than the dynomax I almost think it's too loud it's almost like we're running no muffler with nothing because the muffler is gone but that 2 foot section of pipe I guess that takes it to the back and does so you have no fumed underneath the cabin that's all it does it's really like running no muffler you could cut the muffler off and probably get the same sound I think but then you would have fumes underneath the cab but it does sound pretty good when you floor it if someone wants the sound of a $700 exhaust I would say go with this one my friend has the rock krawler from MagnaFlow and mint 750 on it and I think mine sounds just the same and I only spent 119 on this and 50 to install it

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Another dynomax tailpipe update with in cabin dB readings:

Windows up, top up:
Coasting 55 MPH dB reading is 72-75
Cruising 55 MPH dB reading is 75
WOT at 55 MPH in 3rd grear is 75-78 (6-Speed manual).

The highest dB reading I got was 80 dB @ WOT at 55 MPH in 3rd in safari mode (3 back windows out, top up, glass windows up).

Also, the here is my subjective on the sounds from idle to redline:
Idle to 2k revs, pretty quiet (neighbors won’t notice), quality meh but better than stock. Little change at WOT.
2k -2.5k revs, louder than stock, but not too loud for me, quality good (throaty and some burble both on and off throttle). Some increase in sound level at WOT, but not neighbor provoking.
2.5k-3k revs, louder sound (neighbors might notice), quality good, but burbling diminishing.
3k-4k revs, louder (neighbors might glare), sound changing to smooth music-like.
4K to redline, loud (neighbors calling 911 and posting on social media about hooligans), quality is music to me (almost turbine like); sounds like a sports car (not a Mustang 5.0, but maybe a 15 year old BMW 3 series with a modded exhaust). Does not sound like a 4 cylinder.

So far I’m keeping it with the dynomax pipe.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
It was very likely that something else effected your mileage.... but removal of the muffler likely had little or anything to do with it.

OK I watch this video not sure if I understood it or not lol so is it bad or OK to remove a muffler ? do we need one or not ? I did the flow maser delete kit

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

Windows up, top up:

The highest dB reading I got was 80 dB @ WOT at 55 MPH in 3rd in safari mode (3 back windows out, top up, glass windows up).

Idle to 2k revs, pretty quiet (neighbors won’t notice), quality meh but better than stock. Little change at WOT.
2k -2.5k revs, louder than stock, but not too loud for me, quality good (throaty and some burble both on and off throttle). Some increase in sound level at WOT, but not neighbor provoking.
2.5k-3k revs, louder sound (neighbors might notice), quality good, but burbling diminishing.
3k-4k revs, louder (neighbors might glare), sound changing to smooth music-like.
4K to redline, loud (neighbors calling 911 and posting on social media about hooligans), quality is music to me (almost turbine like); sounds like a sports car (not a Mustang 5.0, but maybe a 15 year old BMW 3 series with a modded exhaust). Does not sound like a 4 cylinder.

So by taking the muffler off and putting these 2 foot pipes on all it really did was take the gas from the exhaust and make it come out the back and not under my jeep so it could get in the cabin ? so as far as the sound the sound its the exact same sound we would get if we just took off the muffler and didn't put the pipe on right ? because just that 2 foot pipe cant muffle and make it any quieter right ? because theirs nothing inside that 2 foot pipe to make it any quieter right ? OK. I do like the sound mine makes it is a little loud when I floor it taking off but I think I will get used to it in time. My friend spent 800 on a full exhaust system and its no different the sound I got spending $119 for mine lol So i dont think it makes any difference in which brand you bu on this kits because all it is is a 2 foot pipe routing the sound to the rear and because theirs nothing in that pipe to make it any quieter then on the sound so it will be the same on all of the kits right ?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Windows up, top up:

How loud at cold start at 6am going to work? Are the neighbors shoving a banana up your tailpipe?

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
How loud at cold start at 6am going to work? Are the neighbors shoving a banana up your tailpipe?
no different than my neighbor that has a V8 pickup truck with an exhaust that has a real deep loud tone If you don't read the engine up it's not going to bother anybody. it's no different than putting a regular exhaust it. if you leave normally like you do and not revving the motor up it won't be no problem for anyone. Like I said my neighbor has that deep loud tone from a V8 if he revs it up then I hear him if not I don't even hear it

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I leave for work before 6a no problem. If the revs are below 2k it is not much louder than stock. Much quieter than my neighbor’s Harley, or another neighbor’s diesel pickup truck.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I leave for work before 6a no problem. If the revs are below 2k it is not much louder than stock. Much quieter than my neighbor’s Harley, or another neighbor’s diesel pickup truck.
This seems to a good representation of a cold start...it sounds a good bit louder than stock for the first 30 seconds when warming up.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
For those curious about the Dynomax muffler delete pipe, nice youtube review here, and I concur w/ his opinions, great product!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Yes it's good I did the flowmaster which I thought would be different but like the guy was telling me at dynomax you're going to get the exact same sound because you're taking the muffler off and putting that 2 foot pipe on so you get the same sound. But I bought the flowmaster and it is pretty cool there times that it does seem pretty loud I want to really too loud but overall I like it I think it's great so I'm keeping it and running no muffler like this one but the flowmaster
Sponsored