Removed Stock Muffler

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I would say it sounds the same... perhaps a lil quieter as it exits out the back of the Jeep in a proper location instead of dumping right in front of the rear axle when I removed the muffler
This is the video where he puts the Dynomax #39537 delete on. I think this is has to be quieter then just removing the muffler only isn't it ? Of course this sells for about $93 should I do this or just go to a muffler shop and have them take the muffler off and then just make a pipe like this for a lot cheaper then $93. A muffler shop said its only $20 to take the muffler off and about $30 to make a pipe so its a lot cheaper or how much louder is just running the muffler off only ? In this video its got a good sound to it but there is some times where its not noticeable either. So how loud is it with just taking the muffler off only ? will it get to loud after a while ? or is ok ? it just seems putting this #39537 on its not really noticeable but thats just me I guess. Seems like you have to floor it to get it loud., So anyone that just took the muffler off only does it get to loud after while and get annoying ? Just dont which way to go and i hate to spend $93 and not like it. What should I do ?
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Installed the Dynomax today, and I have to say for only having one bolt to undo, the install sucked. The exhaust hangers were a total pain in the ass. I used 2 different exhaust hanger removal tools, and still fought them for about an hour. I thought about pulling the bolts to the hanger brackets, but they were going to be just as hard to get to, so I decided to fight the hangers and eventually won the battle.

Iā€™ve only done one short cruise so far, but I took the Jeep up to 80mph and once cruising in 8th, I could barely tell a change was made. Any throttle inputs though and the sound is ā€˜significantā€™ . Iā€™ll run it for a week or two and see how it breaks in.

It definitely saves a good amount of weight, and removes a pretty restrictive looking bend the stock pipe has in it right before the muffler. So far Iā€™m happy- you canā€™t really beat it for 100 bucks.

The DM pipe is finished with a down turn and a straight cut. So no frills at all, and definitely not as nice looking as the Flowmaster tip, but itā€™s tucked up high and no one will ever see it really. Bonus that the DM slid right on perfectly, while the FM pipe was a definite no go.

Clip is just a cold start and idle down immediately after tightening the exhaust clamp. I did a few quick revs up to about 2800 rpms or so, and then drove off out of my garage. My Jeep is running the Superchips 91 octane ā€˜Performanceā€™ tune, so it may sound slightly different than a Jeep with a stock ECU. I think the tune causes my Jeep to have a more sensitive throttle and rev quicker. With the tune and this pipe the Jeep is definitely quick, even with my 35ā€ tires it pulls hard and shifts are very quick. Hope this helps some of you decide what to go with...

This seems really loud at first when first starts up what do y'all think ?so i guess just taking the muffler off only would be even louder right ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just removed the muffler at the clamp. Been driving it around for a bit with the family in the jeep.

I have 37's with stock gearing on a 8 speed
Hardtop with bestop sunrider

These are my observations

The exhaust at WOT is obnoxious. At highway cruising speeds there is no drone and can barely be heard over the wind and tire noise. Any pedal position over 20% for fast acceleration makes the exhaust noisy. DB Levels are not an issue however the issue for me is the pitch / tone. It sounds very "tunerish" more like a 4 cylinder than a v6. Since i have a hill/mountain that i take daily the exhaust is a bit annoying. The jeep shifts into 5th and stays around 3-3.5k rpms to keep highway speeds and it is just a lot of exhaust noise.

I am not sure if just adding a axleback dump will resolve the issue.

The wife has no issues with the noise level. Just the noise coming out of it is very unrefined in her words.

I am now looking at either the AFE RB / AFE HI Tuck / Borla Climber
So you are saying just taking the muffler off only is to loud and get obnoxious after a while ? so i guess putting the Dynomax delete kit would be better ? it seems with the Dynomax its almost snot worth the money is it ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
It's known as the "odorless/silent killer" and has been for over 85 years--

Releasing exhaust fumes DIRECTLY UNDER THE VEHICLE and pointing the NOZZLE DOWN will delay the CARBON MONOXIDE effect, but only increases the severity of it--

Anyone that does this is just DUCT TAPING A GRENADE WITH THE PIN PULLED--it's just a matter of time--

HAPPY NEW YEAR

JIMBO
So how do you get rid of the fumes ? is that only a problem with just deleting the muffler it self with nothing else ? so if i do the dynomax delete kit is there a problem with the fumes ?

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
There are a few doing it - if you donā€™t want a muffler delete at leas have a shop weld a 90 dump on it so it directs it downward - always a good idea to get the exhaust away from an enclosed cab.
someone said on here even having it turned down is just delaying the fumes from coming in to the cab.but i see diesel trucks all the time and gas trucks with the big round exhaust and under neath they stop right-in front of the ales and it has a big pipe turned down toward the ground so the thats the same thing isn't it ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just put this on an now I hear what gear Iā€™m in. When cruising at normal speed you donā€™t hear anything. No drone.

From a dead stop to cruising speed you no longer need to look at the tach or wonder what gear youā€™re in. You can hear it and it is wonderful.

If youā€™re wanting to spend $400 to $600 for a tuned pipe that runs through baffles to make it sound like a truck then this solution ainā€™t for ya. Oh yeah, not having a suitcase hanging under the tail, which this eliminates, is also a bonus.

Take it for what itā€™s worth from someone with experience vs. those with opinions and no experience. Which this forum seems to collect a lot of; more opinions than experience.
so you got the K and N pipe ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I guess I will be the lone voice of dissent here.

I recently installed the flowmaster muffler delete pipe.

I have received multiple compliments.

It is louder but I have had no drone.

1) The pentastar is a dual overhead cam V6.

Sorry guys but it is always going to sound like a ricer.

Doing an "axle back" or "muffler delete" or muffler swap won't change the fact that it's never gonna sound like a hemi.

You can argue volume levels but that's about it.

2) To believe that a muffler delete will cause any noticeable change in torque or mileage is ridiculous.

If you straight piped the entire exhaust than it would make some difference in both.

But as long as you keep the two large cats and the bullet muffler/resonator upstream of the axle you won't have any measureable changes.

My first mpg (hand calculated) was 20.2. That is a mix of rural two lane and interstate driving.

Following two were 20.4 and 19.7.

After delete pipe was installed I got 22.1 and 21.5.

Did the muffler delete give me the increase? No, it's just the motor breaking in.

The guys who claim 15 hp and 2 mpg from a muffler delete are just as bad as the "my jeep lost power" guys.

All the muffler delete does is get rid of that trashy galvanized garbage can hanging off the back, give it a nicer (albeit louder, especially over 3500 rpms) sound, and gives you a more ground clearance should you need it.

All for the princely sum of 119 dollars delivered and 1 hour under the jeep.
VERY WELL SAID !

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jammer, I'd just take off the muffler and see what you think, won't cost a dime and takes about 15 minutes, if you like the sound you'll get a slightly more refined tone w/ the Dynomax, the pipe will exit in a proper place, and only costs $100. If you take the muffler off and the tone/volume is not to your liking put the muffler back on and you're out about 30 minutes (and the time it takes to drive around and see what it sounds like) :)

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
OK after watching the videos here i am going to buy one of these which one sounds better to y'all the flow master or the Dynomax ? They are close to the same i just cant make my mind up i would appreciate which one y'all like better ?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Flowmaster doesn't fit well where it mates to the midpipe, the Dynomax is a perfect fit, so I'd go w/ that!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Flowmaster doesn't fit well where it mates to the midpipe, the Dynomax is a perfect fit, so I'd go w/ that!
Glad you told me I was going to go with the flo Master cuz I thought it sounded a little bit better tone. but if you had badbad experie with it and it's hard to put on I may go with a other one. A buddy of mine has a shop abd one of his mechanics would be putting it on for me. if a mechanic at a shop has all the tools and is used to doing stuff like this do you think that he would have a hard time with it or it still be hard ? Which one do you like better as far as sound ? I thought maybe just a little the flowmaster had a better tone what do you think ?

DynoMax Exhaust

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wangler
Partial to DynoMax ;)

OK after watching the videos here i am going to buy one of these which one sounds better to y'all the flow master or the Dynomax ? They are close to the same i just cant make my mind up i would appreciate which one y'all like better ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Partial to DynoMax ;)
They are pretty close but I think the flowmaster sounds a little better but if it makes a mechanic job easier and customer support was a lot easier to get ahold of when I called dynomax. Trying to get hold of flowmaster was like a 30 minute hold I'd wanted to ask him some questions and I think I held for 30 minutes it was ridiculous so I can imagine what it'd be like if I need to contact them for something else dynomax answered immediately they put me through to tech support I think I held a minute
Sponsored