DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, drove it home! I can't give too much of an assessment yet because I have to be very gentle on it during the break-in. But my friend did the job very well. There is no gear whine or noise of any kind really so he got the setup spot-on.

First gear definitely feels shorter, and better. I was a bit worried about it being shorter than before, but it really feels good in normal driving.

5th gear really doesn't feel like an overdrive now. It has nice power at 55mph, and almost makes me want to go to 6th when cruising at that speed.

6th is so much better. If I go to 6th at 60, it can accelerate. Night and day difference, really. I only got up to about 65 tonight, and only very briefly. So more to come on this gear.

Overall, the Jeep feels lighter and has more pep. That's in just gentle country road riving and going through a couple of towns. But it feels that way through all the gears. I'm dying to push it really hard. I think that 3.6 is going to be in a happier place, more in its power band.

I'm driving it to work tomorrow. Gotta get through the break-in. It has 80w90, which I'm told is recommended by Dana/Spicer for break-in. 200 very gentle miles, then 300 miles of pretty normal driving. I'll change the gear oil then back to Mobil 1 75w90 and will give a much more comprehensive review.

It did put a smile on my face tonight, for sure!
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, many moons ago! 🤣 Those we're the days. 9 kids, 5 pregnancies (2 sets of twins and an adopted niece). Oldest 19, youngest 10. It is a friggin zoo!
Yo. Brave man. I bet can be crazy at times. That is awesome though :like: . I have 2 - boy and girl and that was plenty :)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, drove it home! I can't give too much of an assessment yet because I have to be very gentle on it during the break-in. But my friend did the job very well. There is no gear whine or noise of any kind really so he got the setup spot-on.

First gear definitely feels shorter, and better. I was a bit worried about it being shorter than before, but it really feels good in normal driving.

5th gear really doesn't feel like an overdrive now. It has nice power at 55mph, and almost makes me want to go to 6th when cruising at that speed.

6th is so much better. If I go to 6th at 60, it can accelerate. Night and day difference, really. I only got up to about 65 tonight, and only very briefly. So more to come on this gear.

Overall, the Jeep feels lighter and has more pep. That's in just gentle country road riving and going through a couple of towns. But it feels that way through all the gears. I'm dying to push it really hard. I think that 3.6 is going to be in a happier place, more in its power band.

I'm driving it to work tomorrow. Gotta get through the break-in. It has 80w90, which I'm told is recommended by Dana/Spicer for break-in. 200 very gentle miles, then 300 miles of pretty normal driving. I'll change the gear oil then back to Mobil 1 75w90 and will give a much more comprehensive review.

It did put a smile on my face tonight, for sure!
Great to hear. Sounds like great choice to change.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW - just got mine back from the shop after re-gearing to 4.88. Very happy indeed with the change. For those on the fence, just do it. The difference from 4.10 to 4.88 is night and day and from 3.45, it is not even a discussion.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Yeah, many moons ago! 🤣 Those we're the days. 9 kids, 5 pregnancies (2 sets of twins and an adopted niece). Oldest 19, youngest 10. It is a friggin zoo!
Jeep Wrangler JL Regearing:  Post Installation Question 1627052240796

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW - just got mine back from the shop after re-gearing to 4.88. Very happy indeed with the change. For those on the fence, just do it. The difference from 4.10 to 4.88 is night and day and from 3.45, it is not even a discussion.
Wow, that's a huge change! Are you running 35's or 37's?

Mine isn't nearly as dramatic, going from 4.10 to 4.56 but man, I feel a difference! I am still in break-in, but what I'm feeling is putting a big smile on my face, for sure!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's a huge change! Are you running 35's or 37's?

Mine isn't nearly as dramatic, going from 4.10 to 4.56 but man, I feel a difference! I am still in break-in, but what I'm feeling is putting a big smile on my face, for sure!
I am running 35's and am running about 2350RPM at 70ish. With 4.10 gears, I was at 1900RPM at 70ish. My first gear is short, but not so short that it feels "weird". No question that re-gearing was the way to go after installing larger tires.
Sponsored