Sponsored

Refresh due to tires

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I installed new Duratrac tires, 255/75R17's on my JL. The OEM tires were 245/75R17. The wheel rims stayed at 17". Do I need to have the dealer do a refresh to take into account going from 245 to 255, or will it not make a difference?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I installed new Duratrac tires, 255/75R17's on my JL. The OEM tires were 245/75R17. The wheel rims stayed at 17". Do I need to have the dealer do a refresh to take into account going from 245 to 255, or will it not make a difference?

Thanks.
There is only a half inch in tire size difference. Drive it and see how it feels. If it is shifting funny then you can get it reprogrammed. I doubt you will have any issues.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In the real world, there is no difference. I'd leave it alone. Put a tape measure on both tires and you'll see what I mean.

JLBeast

First Name
Dozi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
I also just upgraded to Rubi takeoffs and wondering if i need to recal? I compared it to my my gps and the difference wasnt that much thanks

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
We went from 245/75/17 to 285/70/17 and the speedometer was off about 1 1/2 mph at 60. The dealer cannot reset the speedometer on tires below 35". This makes no sense to me but that's what they said so I bought a programmer (won't get into the Tazer vs Flashcal debate) and reset the size. Now the speedometer is perfect. I could have just ignored the small difference but the minor OCD side of me was constantly aware so .... :)

Sponsored

Icepak

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
I also just upgraded to Rubi takeoffs and wondering if i need to recal? I compared it to my my gps and the difference wasnt that much thanks
I did the same. I didn’t recal.

Icepak

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
We went from 245/75/17 to 285/70/17 and the speedometer was off about 1 1/2 mph at 60. The dealer cannot reset the speedometer on tires below 35". This makes no sense to me but that's what they said so I bought a programmer (won't get into the Tazer vs Flashcal debate) and reset the size. Now the speedometer is perfect. I could have just ignored the small difference but the minor OCD side of me was constantly aware so .... :)
How much was it? Which programmer did you get? Is it easy?

OP
OP
xtraham

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Thanks to all... I'll leave well enough alone unless I see weird shifting. Happy Trails, God Bless.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
How much was it? Which programmer did you get? Is it easy?
It's real easy, just follow the programmer instructions. All I needed was a tire size update so I went with the FlashCal JL from SuperChips.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Thanks to all... I'll leave well enough alone unless I see weird shifting. Happy Trails, God Bless.
Can you post pics of your Jeep with the new 255/75/17s? I'm thinking of getting that same size tire for the JLU I have on order and want to see what it looks like. Thanks!

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I decided to get my odometer recalibrated going from Sahara's setup to Rubicon takeoffs. The first dealer said it would cost $199. After getting no responses from two other dealers nearby, I just decided to do it with the first. I went there to set up an appointment yesterday, but was told they don't do recals! I told them someone from the Service Dept left me a message that it could for $199. He gave me an address to a local shop that can. I asked if that was the norm for such things, he didn't answer. I asked if the warranty will still be intact, he didn't answer. I asked why they couldn't, knowing they can, he just said they don't. I said I don't believe you and left.

Needless to say, I was infuriated, being lied to. I then drove to the next dealer. They can dot it for $150!

Reason for the recalibration, is peace of mind in terms of keeping the Warranty intact. The difference is about 2%, but I would rather play it safe than deal with any crap later. Also, the adjustment for the shifting points will be a good thing.

Thought I'd share. I really hate the way some dealers operate.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Good move--you're broadcasting, what a lotta guys don't know, but find out when it's too late-

Anytime you have anything to do with the WARRANTY--it's IMPORTANT to find a GOOD DEALER and try to stick with a good dealer, so they can do ALL YOUR RECALLS/TSB's and minor corrections--you'll become a "PREFERRED CUSTOMER"-

Look into the TAZER models and consider that !

Good luck

JIMBO

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Rubicon tires are 0.78% taller than Sport/ Sahara tires. So paying $150+ for a speedometer calibration isn't worth it. Just fyi.

Now, if you go with a non-OE tire size, that's a different ballgame.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
The Rubicon tires are 0.78% taller than Sport/ Sahara tires. So paying $150+ for a speedometer calibration isn't worth it. Just fyi.

Now, if you go with a non-OE tire size, that's a different ballgame.
Agreed. Just for peace of mind.
Sponsored