TPMS Sensor Refresh Speed

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
I have heard of people using their TPMS sensors when airing down. In my experience it can take a minute or two between updates of the pressure displayed on my screen. Is this normal? I have the engine off and ignition on and a deflator on a tire. It starts at 35. The next number I see is 29 then 24, then 19. Nothing in between.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yeah, it's normal. I don't rely on TPMS for air up/down. Too much of a delay between readings, unless you do it very slowly. My air up/down tools have PSI gauges on them anyway so I use that.

I see TPMS just as an occasional check/alert for the periods when PSI shouldn't change.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
On my JT I see roughly 2 pound adjustments when airing down. I use it to get close and fine tune with my own tire gauge. Like if I'm shooting to air down to 12 PSI I'll stop when the TPMS gets to 15.

tengg2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It was slow for me all the time. But I don’t know what configuration I changed, the tpms refresh just became real time. Like within one second.

the change I did recently is enable fill alert.
also reprogrammed the tire pressure threshold in JScan

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Yeah, it's normal. I don't rely on TPMS for air up/down. Too much of a delay between readings, unless you do it very slowly. My air up/down tools have PSI gauges on them anyway so I use that.

I see TPMS just as an occasional check/alert for the periods when PSI shouldn't change.
Agreed. TPMS isn't reliable when static, that is, vehicle not moving. Many others have reported it's much more reliable when the engine is running. I was skeptical, that doesn't make any sense. But I tried it a couple times and it was more reliable with the engine running. Even so, I monitor it for fun and don't rely on it for air up/down.
Sponsored