Sponsored

Dealer says TPMS issue is due to wheels and tires being too thick?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Just beware of ebay listings. Sure there are some good sellers on Ebay. However many sellers are selling old, refurbished or even fake sensors that may or may not last.

With TPMS if the price is too good to be true, it is not real.

For example the listing above. If you actually get those sensors (sometimes you won't) those were made in 2016. They are already 6 years old. You will not get a warranty from the manufacturer on those. The ebay seller may give you one. That is just one thing I can see from the pics. without buying a set I cannot tell you if they are refurbished or fake as well.

I know exactly the cost FROM SCHRADER a high volume TPMS wholesaler pays for one sensor. I assure you if you are paying less than say $30 PER SENSOR you are not getting an OE sensor or an OEM sensor. You are getting old, refurbished or fake. The 20398 and a few Toyota TPMS are some of the most replicated sensors out there.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just beware of ebay listings. Sure there are some good sellers on Ebay. However many sellers are selling old, refurbished or even fake sensors that may or may not last.

With TPMS if the price is too good to be true, it is not real.

For example the listing above. If you actually get those sensors (sometimes you won't) those were made in 2016. They are already 6 years old. You will not get a warranty from the manufacturer on those. The ebay seller may give you one. That is just one thing I can see from the pics. without buying a set I cannot tell you if they are refurbished or fake as well.

I know exactly the cost FROM SCHRADER a high volume TPMS wholesaler pays for one sensor. I assure you if you are paying less than say $30 PER SENSOR you are not getting an OE sensor or an OEM sensor. You are getting old, refurbished or fake. The 20398 and a few Toyota TPMS are some of the most replicated sensors out there.
I know that you know more than we do about this because it’s your field. Do you think that rockauto is selling fake or old or refurbished ones? Their 20398 are $25.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Its not your wheels and tires.
You can get OEM tire sensors (4) for $56, then pay $15 a wheel to install and balance.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCs-for-W...-/224321220744?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

If you would rather turn off warning light - you can do it via OBDJscan.
I wouldn't install the sensors at that link if you gave them to me free..

I learned long ago, it does not pay to install el cheapo, old stock, etc. TPMS's.... especially, when you can get quality, known to work with your vehicle, known to be non-counterfeit, with fresh batteries and backed by a reputable reseller for very little $.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know that you know more than we do about this because it’s your field. Do you think that rockauto is selling fake or old or refurbished ones? Their 20398 are $25.
With RockAuto the shipping cost will scare you away usually..

With TPMS's, you have a problem and RockAuto will tell you oh well... If you buy from a hands on retailer that deals strickly with TPMS's and who knows them well....you will have a far better experience. You have an issue and that reseller will work with you.... you are assured of good stock and such as I mentioned in my last post..

Not worth saving a piddly $40+- if you end up with a crap shoot so to speak and no one (the reseller) to help you work through the issue...

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they have a really good price on a sensor it is usually old. Rock Auto will not sell fake no way. They will either sell old or refurbished.

Having said that "old" is relative. Produced a year ago maybe even 2 I would be ok with. Once a sensor is made they are immediately put in sleep mode. They do not use battery at all until either you wake them up with a TPMS machine of install them and inflate them. Having said that even a sleeping battery will denigrate over time with heat, then cool, they heat etc etc.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will add also you can get a nice supply from a manufacturer that is misprinted. Everyone makes mistakes and so do they. Sometimes as an example a manufacturer is running sensors and they were supposed to be OEM BMW sensors with a BMW logo and part number. They screw up and either put the wrong part number or get the correct part number but forget the logo or put their logo instead of BMW. The manufacturer (BMW in this case) will reject the entire order. It happens. Those then get sold to wholesalers who don't care, sell as OE replacement (which they are) and you will get those for a really good price. You sell them cheap until supply runs out.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Goin2drt

Since we have your ear.... and you being a TPMS reseller and very knowledgeable on the subject...

Is this the current thought lets say........in regard to sensors that are asleep.... I do believe it is..
I'd get little help/guidance on this if I asked an eBAY seller, Rock Auto, etc...

Thanks in advance for your input on this..

-->Is, the current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, that IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU/JT, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Goin2drt

Since we have your ear.... and you being a TPMS reseller and very knowledgeable on the subject...

Is this the current thought lets say........in regard to sensors that are asleep.... I do believe it is..
I'd get little help/guidance on this if I asked an eBAY seller, Rock Auto, etc...

Thanks in advance for your input on this..

-->Is, the current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, that IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU/JT, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

That is correct. Each TPMS manufacturer puts in a different threshold but safe to say lower 12-15 psi drive just for a minute and then re-inflate to door placard, drive again. Once you have the TPMS reading then you can adjust to whatever PSI you want as long as you do not go outside the threshold the light will not come on.

The other thing with Jeeps and if you are having a problem take off the spare. If the spare was in rotation etc then it will screw up the readings. Once you have the 4 wheels on the ground set, then you can put the spare back on and it will eventually go to sleep.
Sponsored