Sponsored

Recommended sliders/steps to avoid chronic hamstring strains

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler Sport Alt (on order)
Yes, I have pulled my hamstring numerous times while getting out of my new JLU Sport with the factory side steps.

I didn't not see this problem coming.

The issue is when stepping out I have to clear the distance of the steps to the ground and when doing that - pulled my hamstring.

I am 6'4'' so actually using the steps would make me hit my head on the doorframe.

Getting rid of the steps would be a great solution, except my 6 year old needs them to get in and out.

Really hope this is not just a "jeep thing".

So.....

Anyone have a similar (embarrassing) issue like this?

Would rock sliders be the best bet?

Can kids still use sliders as steps to get in and out?

If yes what sliders are you using?

If no, what steps would fit the bill?
Sponsored

OP
OP
bicepsmctouchdown

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
After I lifted my Jeep & installed 37's, I found it very tough climb in & out. I would rub against the Rubi rails and had to step into the footwell with my right foot nearly at waist height.

I installed some Roam rock sliders which provide a wide platform for my foot during ingress & egress. The key for me was to develop a technique. As driver, I step up onto the slider with my left foot placed near the forward edge of the door. My head goes up, adjacent to the roof as I'm standing on my left foot. Then, while hanging onto the rollcage handle with my left hand, I set my right foot into the footwell. Next I bend at the waist and swing my body onto the seat pivoting around my left hand & foot. Finally pulling my left foot inside after I'm fully seated. Hopefully you can visualize this description.

Egress is just the opposite while entry & exit from the passenger side uses the right hand & foot in the same manner.

I found this technique prevents getting mud on my pants from the sliders as well as nearly falling out if I try to exit without using the rail. It does, however, put slight stress on your left quad & knee as well as your left hand & arm.

My Roam sliders sit fairly high and are 6"+ wide so provide an ample step. They were not cheap, but provide an excellent platform for my purposes. LOD makes a similar model, equally as pricy, unfortunately.

OP
OP
bicepsmctouchdown

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After I lifted my Jeep & installed 37's, I found it very tough climb in & out. I would rub against the Rubi rails and had to step into the footwell with my right foot nearly at waist height.

I installed some Roam rock sliders which provide a wide platform for my foot during ingress & egress. The key for me was to develop a technique. As driver, I step up onto the slider with my left foot placed near the forward edge of the door. My head goes up, adjacent to the roof as I'm standing on my left foot. Then, while hanging onto the rollcage handle with my left hand, I set my right foot into the footwell. Next I bend at the waist and swing my body onto the seat pivoting around my left hand & foot. Finally pulling my left foot inside after I'm fully seated. Hopefully you can visualize this description.

Egress is just the opposite while entry & exit from the passenger side uses the right hand & foot in the same manner.

I found this technique prevents getting mud on my pants from the sliders as well as nearly falling out if I try to exit without using the rail. It does, however, put slight stress on your left quad & knee as well as your left hand & arm.

My Roam sliders sit fairly high and are 6"+ wide so provide an ample step. They were not cheap, but provide an excellent platform for my purposes. LOD makes a similar model, equally as pricy, unfortunately.
I like the description of the process development of entry and exit.

definitely a Jeep thing,

I ordered some rails that were on sale at extreme terrain for under 2 hundy,

Those OEM steps I am removing are, according to the current build prices, around 700 MSRP option - unreal.
I wish I had thought of this before I purchased and I could have purchased the rail option then.

thanks for the reply. ✌

OP
OP
bicepsmctouchdown

bicepsmctouchdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just realized that if I remove the side steps and replace with a nerf bar that the front tires will throw dirt and snow and salt back on my doors.

Will mud flaps handle that if I get rid of the big running board OEM side steps?
Sponsored