Sponsored

Received Uconnect update message. Anyone know details?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone provide more details on how the update works? Do you have to have the app on your phone? Do you have to have clear satellite connection? Can you manually check?
Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Mine's been parked in the garage for about a month. I guess I should start it and pull it out and see if an update comes up/starts. My 8.4 works great and always has so I'd almost be nervous to do an update lol.
I don't know what is in the update, but if yours is working properly you may want to avoid the update! Mine has been plagued with problems, repeatedly turning off and on, blue screen of death, not connecting to Car Play.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Can anyone provide more details on how the update works? Do you have to have the app on your phone? Do you have to have clear satellite connection? Can you manually check?
Mine popped up on the display on its own after a drive cycle. I went to go pick up food and when I put it in park at the restaurant it popped up on the screen asking if I wanted to update immediately or schedule for later. I scheduled it for an hour later and went about my business. The next day when I fired the Jeep up it displayed a message that said the update was complete.

I didn't do anything else beyond that. No phone app, no manually checking stuff. As you know, satellite/cell service is fine in Apex so I have no clue if that makes a difference. Maybe you should have stayed here instead of abandoning us! :CWL:

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I just completed mine about 1 hr ago, but in my haste, I clicked cancel instead of "see what's in the update". Anyone know what's new? Or should I say anyone who is smarter than me, that clicked the button to see what is in the update???
I got a one sentence statement that there are improvements.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine popped up on the display on its own after a drive cycle. I went to go pick up food and when I put it in park at the restaurant it popped up on the screen asking if I wanted to update immediately or schedule for later. I scheduled it for an hour later and went about my business. The next day when I fired the Jeep up it displayed a message that said the update was complete.

I didn't do anything else beyond that. No phone app, no manually checking stuff. As you know, satellite/cell service is fine in Apex so I have no clue if that makes a difference. Maybe you should have stayed here instead of abandoning us! :CWL:
Hmmm... let me think about that... stay in Apex so I can catch a Uconnect update or move to UT and... hmmm... what am I going to be doing in about 2 hours? Hmmm... oh that's right... going over to Sand Hollow to wheel!!!!!! ;)

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do you have to have the app on your phone?
No.

Do you have to have clear satellite connection?
The update is pushed out and received via the factory satellite/GPS antenna. So, theoretically, you would need a clear sky. If, for example, you were parked in a garage for a while you'd likely not see the update until you were out driving.

Can you manually check?
You can go to the Uconnect web site and enter your VIN to check for updates. However, over the air updates don't often show there.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No.

The update is pushed out and received via the factory satellite/GPS antenna. So, theoretically, you would need a clear sky. If, for example, you were parked in a garage for a while you'd likely not see the update until you were out driving.

You can go to the Uconnect web site and enter your VIN to check for updates. However, over the air updates don't often show there.
Dude... thanks.
It's nice to have a clear answer without someone going off on a tangent about something I didn't ask or their opinion on the latest color Jeep is offering.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The site shows my VIN has an update available, and it’s two releases old! 😂

OTA is the way to go.

I accepted the update and can attest to improvements - my Sirius favorites work again, and I’ve had no crashes/reboots/loss of backup lines/blue screens. My off-road pages app also updated its version number and while it looks the same, it used to frequently fail to load. Now it loads reliably.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I check Uconnect: https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html
My 2018 JLU (bought new in 2019) is still up-to-date.
I updated my wife's Grand Cherokee a couple years ago--used laptop to get instructions download update onto flash drive, then plugged into JGC and followed instructions. A very useful update....

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I lost both my satellite presets as well as my FM ones. Other than that no Idea what else it may have done...good or bad
Losing presets is a rookie unforced error. Cannot imagine what kind of S/W engineer would do such a thing.
Sponsored