Rearview Mirror Dimmer

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Since we've had our JLUR for almost a year now, I've never had the need to dim the rearview mirror, mostly for the fact that the rear window is tinted and headlights behind me never bother me.

The other night I decided to give it a try and I went into the screen and hit the icon for the mirror dimmer. The mirror icon turned red, which I assume means that the mirror is in the dimmer on position.

I noticed no change whatsoever in the mirror dimming with headlights behind me. I toggled the switch on and off multiple times with no difference at all.

For those with the tinted rear glass, does anyone notice a big difference when you turn yours on and off? I'm thinking ours is broken or disconnected and will have them take a look at our next oil change.

Thanks.
Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
When it's turned on, you should notice the mirror itself getting a bit darker. There will be a noticeable "border" around the edges as well.

jack buening

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I supposedly have it but I've never noticed a border around it. Maybe I don't have it turned on. I'll check it out tonight

OP
OP
Steevr

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When it's turned on, you should notice the mirror itself getting a bit darker. There will be a noticeable "border" around the edges as well.
I noticed the slight border around it all the time, even during the day. No diff at night when it's on or off. Time to get it checked out.

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have never hit that button and mine appears to auto dim at night

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Since we've had our JLUR for almost a year now, I've never had the need to dim the rearview mirror, mostly for the fact that the rear window is tinted and headlights behind me never bother me.

The other night I decided to give it a try and I went into the screen and hit the icon for the mirror dimmer. The mirror icon turned red, which I assume means that the mirror is in the dimmer on position.

I noticed no change whatsoever in the mirror dimming with headlights behind me. I toggled the switch on and off multiple times with no difference at all.

For those with the tinted rear glass, does anyone notice a big difference when you turn yours on and off? I'm thinking ours is broken or disconnected and will have them take a look at our next oil change.

Thanks.
Hi Steve,
We understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members. However, if you believe this is not operating as designed, we recommend having your dealer look into this further. If assistance is needed throughout your dealer visit, please send us a PM!
Alex
JeepCares

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
We understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members. However, if you believe this is not operating as designed, we recommend having your dealer look into this further. If assistance is needed throughout your dealer visit, please send us a PM!
I came here wondering the same thing as Steve. I can't notice anything different when I select the Mirror Dimmer icon and turn it from RED to WHITE and back again. I'll go ahead and take this issue to the dealer, thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
Steevr

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mentioned it when we were in for service. They said itā€™s working as designed. Lol.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I came here wondering the same thing as Steve. I can't notice anything different when I select the Mirror Dimmer icon and turn it from RED to WHITE and back again. I'll go ahead and take this issue to the dealer, thanks for the suggestion!
If you need assistance while at the dealer, don't hesitate to let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
If you need assistance while at the dealer, don't hesitate to let us know.
Today I casually stopped by the dealer and had them take a look at it. They confirmed that the rear-view mirror dimmer wasn't doing anything significant (if at all) for them either. I've set up a service appointment to get it taken care of the middle of next month.

Your encouragement was appreciated, Kate. Thanks again!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Today I casually stopped by the dealer and had them take a look at it. They confirmed that the rear-view mirror dimmer wasn't doing anything significant (if at all) for them either. I've set up a service appointment to get it taken care of the middle of next month.

Your encouragement was appreciated, Kate. Thanks again!
Not a problem!

Kate
Jeep Cares

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
All fixed at the dealership! (Thanks for the encouragement, Kate.)

In the process of fixing the mirror, they solved another problem! There are the two light-level sliders next to the headlights. One of the sliders (on the right) controls those major dash/interior lights. The second one (on the left) is supposed to control "environmental lights" (like the soft lights in your leg wells). Up until now, that second slider did almost nothing at all. Once they replaced the wiring harness (to repair the rear-view camera), I suddenly noticed those new environmental lights come to life that I'd never seen before! (Their absence indicates that you might also have the mirror dimmer issue.)

For those looking for ideas on how to test the auto-dimming rear view mirror, I came up with something. Start with the vehicle ON (running), in a dark area, with the interior lights OFF, and with a small flashlight for you to hold in your hand. Go to the uConnect app screen and tap on the Mirror Dimmer icon until it is RED (that means active). Put the flashlight directly up against the mid-left section of the rear-view mirror (there's a light sensor under there). Hold it there.

You may start to see less and less light bleed from the edges of that flashlight that you're holding up against the mirror. Or looking in the mirror you should start to see a significantly increased darkness to it. That's good. (If not, either you've done something wrong or your auto-dimming mirror is not working.)

On the uConnect apps screen, tap once again on the Mirror Dimmer icon until it turns white (that means OFF). The blackness in the mirror will retreat and you should see more light reflecting back from around the edges of the flashlight. Those are all great signs.

When you're done testing, you'll want to leave the Mirror Dimmer icon in a RED (active) state. That tells it to automatically dim the mirror when it senses excess light (and then return to normal when the light is no longer present). When the icon is WHITE, it acts like an ordinary mirror that does not darken or dim in any way.

Note that even when you have the Mirror Dimmer set to RED, it may appear WHITE while the engine is not running. Once you start the engine, the icon should turn back RED if that's how you have it set.

Hope this helps someone figure out if they've got an issue with their auto-dimming rear-view mirror or not. It seems a little complicated at first, but it's really easy to figure out once you know what it should or shouldn't be doing (and how to test it).
Sponsored