Sponsored

Dimmer controls

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
What exactly does this (left) dimmer control adjust? I don't notice anything dimming or getting brighter when I turn the knob. On the manual it says if you rotate the left dimmer control (with parking or headlights on) it adjusts the interior and ambient light levels. I see that the knob on the right controls the brightness of the instrument panel lights, but can't quite figure out the left one. Hoping someone can "shed some light" for me :).

IMG_3261_605x605.jpg
Sponsored

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Subscribed for response... Mine doesn't appear to do anything either?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
What exactly does this (left) dimmer control adjust?
Per a previous forum post:

"The right dial as many knows does the...Dome, daytime brightness, then nighttime all the way to a low dim. This is for the dashboard, buttons and cup holder.

The left dial does the accent lighting for your feet but only works when the right dial is somewhere in any of the nighttime dim levels."

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
snipe:

Per a previous forum post:

"The right dial as many knows does the...Dome, daytime brightness, then nighttime all the way to a low dim. This is for the dashboard, buttons and cup holder.

The left dial does the accent lighting for your feet but only works when the right dial is somewhere in any of the nighttime dim levels."

To add to this the Sport S does not come with Ambient Lighting so you won't notice much of a difference. I think a member mentioned that there was a dim light in the door handle? If there is watch there for a change in the dark. There may be some other subtle lights that will dim albeit they are not bright to begin with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
iflyimpilot

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Awesome stuff, thanks all! I'll give this a try tonight. I wondered too if it was an availability thing based on trim, packages, etc.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Awesome stuff, thanks all! I'll give this a try tonight. I wondered too if it was an availability thing based on trim, packages, etc.
I did the same thing, salesman didn't know either. One night, I figured it out!!

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Yep, interior ambient lighting. Very noticeable in the floor by your feet. I like as it helps you find crap that falls on the floor at night. Most vehicles are coming with this now, so it's cool that the Jeep has it as well. I'm going to check and see if you can change the colors using different LED lights.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Yep, interior ambient lighting. Very noticeable in the floor by your feet. I like as it helps you find crap that falls on the floor at night. Most vehicles are coming with this now, so it's cool that the Jeep has it as well. I'm going to check and see if you can change the colors using different LED lights.
I've been thinking about adding different colored LED strips in the footwell and wiring them in to the existing ones so they could be controlled by the dimmer.

STOMPEEZ

First Name
Renegade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
What exactly does this (left) dimmer control adjust? I don't notice anything dimming or getting brighter when I turn the knob. On the manual it says if you rotate the left dimmer control (with parking or headlights on) it adjusts the interior and ambient light levels. I see that the knob on the right controls the brightness of the instrument panel lights, but can't quite figure out the left one. Hoping someone can "shed some light" for me :).

IMG_3261_605x605.jpg
To piggy-back on these "lighting" dials, has anyone replaced the LED DOME LIGHTS in their JL Unlimited in order to better illuminate the inside. As it stands, the interior lighting at night is abysmal.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The ONLY lights I can see dimming with this dial are the ones that illuminate the door handles. Seems completely pointless to have this dial on the dash, in my opinion. I guess somebody at Jeep agreed, seeing as how it's totally omitted from any mention in the owner's manual.

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I figured I would ask here instead of create a new thread but does anyone else find the dashboard dimming when headlights on to be too low? I have the right dial and left dial all the way up and when the headlights kick on, the 2 screens are too dim. If I move the right dial up a click then it goes into day mode and is very bright.

I wish I could get the dark theme to be a little brighter. Anyone else seeing this or is it just mine?

FLSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-door Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk

IMG_3261_605x605.jpg
Thank you for posting this … I had the same question as well. Love this forum!

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I've been thinking about adding different colored LED strips in the footwell and wiring them in to the existing ones so they could be controlled by the dimmer.
My thoughts too! Any idea where this wiring is located or how to connect a source to it?

BunktheFunk

First Name
Ziggy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL

IMG_3261_605x605.jpg
CONFIRMED...It’s to control the accent lights on the interior door handles. It’s so subtle it nearly has to be pitch black darkness to see it.
Sponsored

Last edited: