jalfo0927

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.0 Diesel
Hello All,

So first time lifting anything.. I'm having some serious sagging issues in the rear of the jeep with all the extra weight we have in the back. The issue was I went from stock 33s and suspension to installing the build below with a LOD Destroy steel bumper, and i have a roof top tent, and a custom cargo box built out of wood in the back of the jeep. Box probably weighs ~150lbs empty.. Fully loaded with fridge and gear probably 250-300lbs. All of this plus the 37" tire hanging in the back has caused some serious sag.

The build is

Teraflex St3 3.5" Lift Kit
Falcon SP2 2.1 Monotube Shocks
37x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Method 704 17x8 Wheels
LOD Destroyer Shorty Front and Rear Bumper
Warn 10k Winch in the front

I've been doing some research but not really sure what's the best way to approach this issue, and get the jeep leveled out. I don't think reducing weight is an option as I would have to redo my entire setup inside, and change the bumper (i love the look of the bumper).

I have read about changing springs to something like these for 'heavy load' https://www.morris4x4center.com/old...-load-coil-springs-for-2-5-3-5-lift-pair.html

Or going with an air spring like these https://www.cjponyparts.com/media/images/install-pdf/install_air60829.pdf.

I'm open to suggestions, I plan to do a lot of off road miles, and trails out in west side of the US as we travel out there. It's important that we keep daily drivability but also not lose any off-road performance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Sag Issue Need help! WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 10.41.20 AM
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Sag Issue Need help! WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 10.47.16 AM (1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Sag Issue Need help! WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 10.47.16 AM
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Sag Issue Need help! WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 10.47.17 AM

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Sag Issue Need help! WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 10.41.20 AM

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Sag Issue Need help! WhatsApp Image 2021-09-21 at 10.41.21 AM
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
If you unload your Jeep in between trips heavy duty springs are going to ride harsh and tall in the rear unloaded, use the airbags. If you are always going to be heavy consider the heavy duty springs. IMO of course.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I can't tell exactly how level you are from pics but measuring the rockers is the best way to go. The rear fenders are lower than the front so visually comparing gaps at the top of the tire(s) is meaningless.

I hope the air springs get you where you wanna be. Another option might be MetalCloak rear 3.5 springs as MC tends to sit very high unloaded, their reasoning being they're accounting for car camper (er, sorry the kool kids say "overlanding") and aftermarket bumper weight.

That said, I have no idea how the Teraflex spring rates compare to MC -- they may be very similar?

Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Thanks. I went ahead and purchased the air springs to try them out before going and replacing springs.. Hoping these are the answer. WiIll update thread once i get them installed.
What did you purchase ? I'm loaded heavy too and was considering a spacer lift to level mine back out.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
I'd just get some coil spring spacers and try em. They're cheap, install is easy. I've found that they are a good solution to level things out, doesn't seem to affect the ride at all...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I gotta agree with Jim above. Air helper springs are the best way to go, assuming you'll be dropping most of the excess weight in between excursions. The pressure, this spring rate, can be custom tuned to your needs and be easily removed when not needed.

OP
OP

jalfo0927

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.0 Diesel
I went with the Air Lift 1000s. They should be arriving this weekend.. I pretty much carry the same stuff on the jeep all the time as we are full time RVers and always like to have the jeep ready for aventures.

I like the idea of the air springs that we can adjust them as needed, so hopefully they do the job! Will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

THANKS!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Get dead weight out of the JLU.... helps with sag issue...

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Sag Issue Need help! ohmy