First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Last weekend I had my 2019 Rubicon in for service.

There was a noise in the front driver wheel that I wanted checked out. They replaced the hub but say theres still something clicking and opened a case/ticket with Jeep.

Since then, Ive noticed TWICE that the little symbol on the digital display for rear locker comes on. Once while I was driving, came on and turned off about 3 seconds later. Yesterday I was PARKED eating a snack and the symbol came on. I looked at the locker switch and the light for rear locker was on.

I pressed the button to turn off and it turned the symbol and light off.

I was PARKED and in 2WD. The time I was driving I also was in 2WD on a regular road.

I pressed the switch for the locker and while parked and got the "must be in 4H/L" message and it automatically went away.

I dont know what causing this but Im taking in for service this week.

Anyone experience similar?
Sponsored

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do you by chance have a Tazer? It makes it possible to turn lockers on with steering wheel controls. Just a thought, maybe you're hitting the right combo

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Normally, the axle lock can only be activated in 4-low. I too was wondering about something like a Tazer device is activating it if you are in 4-high.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
When I first started driving my 2020, it seemed that I was always “fat fingering” a button when I pressed another. Possible here?

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Oh man that is interesting. I think it is your Jeep telling you it’s time to go off-road.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have the opposite problem. One of my locker sensors is going bad so it keeps trying to disengage the locker when I start the Jeep even though it is not locked.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
So I bit of an update. I was finally able to get it in for service.

They JUST called me that its ready.

They ended up replacing the whole rear axle apparently. They said that they found metal piece/shavings in the "pan."

What upset me though was that they told me that its obvious I took it offroading and that theyre not saying thats what caused the issue but next time to completely wash out the jeep because had an inspector come, they might not have covered it? Is that true?

The crazy thing, its been just over a year now in April that I bought the Jeep and Ive only offroaded on soft sand TWICE and it was all last year. This issue started now.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I bit of an update. I was finally able to get it in for service.

They JUST called me that its ready.

They ended up replacing the whole rear axle apparently. They said that they found metal piece/shavings in the "pan."

What upset me though was that they told me that its obvious I took it offroading and that theyre not saying thats what caused the issue but next time to completely wash out the jeep because had an inspector come, they might not have covered it? Is that true?

The crazy thing, its been just over a year now in April that I bought the Jeep and Ive only offroaded on soft sand TWICE and it was all last year. This issue started now.
I hate dealers like that. It's like they are "doing you a favor" by fixing a problem UNRELATED to off roading. The only time you really want to use a locker is OFF ROAD.
Sadly the wrong combination of idiot service dept and idiot inspector can get things tossed about like "we really can't cover this."

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I hate dealers like that. It's like they are "doing you a favor" by fixing a problem UNRELATED to off roading. The only time you really want to use a locker is OFF ROAD.
Sadly the wrong combination of idiot service dept and idiot inspector can get things tossed about like "we really can't cover this."
It was such a dumb thing to say.

So thinking back now...i posted about this. Back in March 2019 when I picked my Rubi up, on my test drive I would hear a random noise that sounded more so like an empty can with a BB inside rapidly rattling for 2-3 seconds and stopping. Happened 2-3x during test drive.

I left and they said they would "fix or replace". I gotta look up the worksheet they handed me but Im pretty sure it was with the rear axle.

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had to have my entire rear axle replaced too after about 700 miles, and I had not taken it off road at all. I had the dash lights coming on erroneously but I couldnt get them to turn off. I had a case with JeepCares etc. and apparently there is a known issue with the rear axle sensors, and the dealer isnt set up to re-set ring/pinon gears so FCA has decided it faster to simply replace the axle assembly. I think the dealership is bluffing some, but glad to hear they fixed it for you.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had to have my entire rear axle replaced too after about 700 miles, and I had not taken it off road at all. I had the dash lights coming on erroneously but I couldnt get them to turn off. I had a case with JeepCares etc. and apparently there is a known issue with the rear axle sensors, and the dealer isnt set up to re-set ring/pinon gears so FCA has decided it faster to simply replace the axle assembly. I think the dealership is bluffing some, but glad to hear they fixed it for you.
Could you elaborate on the known issue with the axle sensors? I've got a bad sensor in the rear axle that is throwing the "Get axle serviced" code. Is there a TSB you know of, anything to help build up my info before I take it in.
Sponsored