Sponsored

Rear LCA skid - frame side mount - needed?

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
I just got back from my first harder trail trip the other day and have been in the process of repairing things. Finally got everything finished yesterday and was looking over what was smacked around that didn't have a skid plate on it. I lightly dragged my driver side frame side rear LCA bracket and was curious if something like this was "needed" to protect it, or if it was fine just left alone. I don't see many companies making this part (Rusty's was the only I could find, admittedly) and was wondering if that's because it's not really needed.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/produ...ontrol-arm-frame-side-skid-plates-jl-wrangler

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear LCA skid - frame side mount - needed? PXL_20220920_161743360
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That's the reason why it's thick metal and angled like that, to climb over any rocks it might hit. Which it did. Just clean it off and if you scratched down to metal, give it quick squirt of flat black spray paint to avoid rust.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
It's one of those "It depends" things IMO. How often do you run trails where you can hit that? If you do it a lot, it can and will deform that frame side bracket and the Rusty's skids are a good idea. If you don't, then no worries just clean it up and paint the scratch. I will say, I have those Rusty's skids on mine. They're a decent skid.

OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's one of those "It depends" things IMO. How often do you run trails where you can hit that? If you do it a lot, it can and will deform that frame side bracket and the Rusty's skids are a good idea. If you don't, then no worries just clean it up and paint the scratch. I will say, I have those Rusty's skids on mine. They're a decent skid.
Ordered them.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Ordered them.
They come raw steel, recommend cleaning up with brake cleaner or something similar and then hitting them with a few coats of a decent direct-to-metal paint from a rattle can.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might want to put on a primer first for that paint, but should work. If you're wheeling harder trails a bunch in a 4 door, you're going to be touching up that paint fairly often IMO due to wheelbase.
I could always bedliner (spray can) them. Would that be a better bet? And yeah after hitting my first "real" difficult trail, I scraped all kinds of shit. That's what's got me ordering more skid plates lol.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I could always bedliner (spray can) them. Would that be a better bet? And yeah after hitting my first "real" difficult trail, I scraped all kinds of shit. That's what's got me ordering more skid plates lol.
Nah, I prefer a smooth paint to bedliner. YMMV, but bed liner doesn't slide as smooth IMO. More likely to tear bigger chunks of paint off and all that.
Sponsored