Rear Defroster Auto-On?

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
Is there any setting to have rear defroster automatically turn on either with remote start or when normal starting when temps are cold?

Edit: noticed that the rear defroster sometimes turns on with remote start (along with front defroster on high), but this doesn't consistently happen when it's cold outside...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Is there any setting to have rear defroster automatically turn on either with remote start or when normal starting when temps are cold?
According to the owners manual (page 25), it auto-starts the heated seats and steering wheel when the outside temp is below 40. However I've noticed that it also seems to start the rear defrost as well whenever these are activated.

OP
OP

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had the seats/steering wheel turn on (setting enabled for any start), but never the rear defroster... maybe not cold enough yet? It's parked outside all the time.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I've had the seats/steering wheel turn on (setting enabled for any start), but never the rear defroster... maybe not cold enough yet? It's parked outside all the time.
Interesting. Well we live in the same city, so can't imagine it's a temp difference thing. Maybe my Jeep just loves me more than yours loves you?

Also worth noting that the heated outside mirrors (which are part of the cold weather package) activate when you turn on the rear defrost, so this is worth figuring out. I'd contact your dealer to see if there's a computer update required?

OP
OP

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tested this out during my last minute Christmas shopping: remote started vehicle at my house, open up driver's door and hear front defroster fan on high and rear defroster already activated. go to store 1 for 30 minutes. remote start in parking lot and notice front defroster on selected speed (not on high) and rear defroster not on. drive to store 2, using rear defroster. In store 2 for probably another 30 minutes. remote start in parking lot and noticed that front defrost has gone full speed and rear defrost is on by itself again. Completed trips in sub-40 degree weather.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
My rear defroster comes on below 40. If yours doesn’t, check your uconnect settings. You can tailor the seats for all starts or just remote starts, etc.... maybe there’s a rear defroster setting also.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I have noticed some "weirdness" with how well mine detects outdoor temp. This morning, for example, I noticed when I started it up it said the outdoor temp was 18 degrees. It was in my garage all night and there's no way the temp in my garage was under 40 at any point last night. Maybe it was showing the "last known" temp from before I parked it in the garage?

Not sure that this helps but thought I would share.

OP
OP

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My rear defroster comes on below 40. If yours doesn’t, check your uconnect settings. You can tailor the seats for all starts or just remote starts, etc.... maybe there’s a rear defroster setting also.
Generally a good idea to check UConnect settings, however only auto-on config is for drivers seat and steering wheel.
Additionally, I've stated that this behavior is intermittent, i.e.-works sometimes, sometimes does not (often does not). The seat and steering wheel are consistently turning on when below 40 degrees.

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I typically use remote start on mine when leaving work. When I open the door, the defroster is on high, then shuts off quickly, rear defrost is always on, no seat or steering wheel heater though.
Sponsored