Raider Rack System: Interior Storage for Tailgate

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I posted about this elsewhere, but thought this deserved its own thread. I just installed this rack system (from RaiderRack.com) on the inside of my JLUR tailgate. This system includes a horizontal rack (similar to the TRMS rail) and up to 7 vertical mini racks that snap-fit into the lower louvers. Each rack has two t-slots, which provides some spacing flexibility when arranging mounting accessories. They also have some mounting accessories available, including just the t-slot hardware if you want to mount your own stuff (which I also did). I bought several pieces & some hardware, and grabbed some additional accessories online (cup holders & quick-fist clamps off amazon). That "indentation" on the top of the gate is a party-foul waiting to happen!

These racks are very solid, and the fit & finish are perfect. For the top rack, I popped off the tailgate's horizontal plastic cover and bolted the rack into the factory holes (There were some included spacers.) The vertical racks just snapped-in: insert the top at an angle, rotate the rack flat against the louvers, then push to snap it in. I couldn't remove them by hand, I needed a putty knife to pop them off from the bottom.

I'm very impressed. I'm still figuring out how to arrange everything, but I'm getting close. :)

3.jpg

2.jpg
Sponsored

Stinggrayreb

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JL Rubicon
Looks great! Where did you find the cupholders? Not seeing them on their website

OP
OP
Recursion

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looks great! Where did you find the cupholders? Not seeing them on their website
Thanks! I got the cup holders from Amazon here. The gray were $3.41 three days ago, but now they're $9/each. There are other colors for less, including black for ~$6. These might be had for less elsewhere.

Last edited:

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Loving mine. Now I need to find more stuff to attach.

55DB06F2-929E-46EC-806A-12F9BBAE57E7.jpeg

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I posted about this elsewhere, but thought this deserved its own thread. I just installed this rack system (from RaiderRack.com) on the inside of my JLUR tailgate. This system includes a horizontal rack (similar to the TRMS rail) and up to 7 vertical mini racks that snap-fit into the lower louvers. Each rack has two t-slots, which provides some spacing flexibility when arranging mounting accessories. They also have some mounting accessories available, including just the t-slot hardware if you want to mount your own stuff (which I also did). I bought several pieces & some hardware, and grabbed some additional accessories online (cup holders & quick-fist clamps off amazon). That "indentation" on the top of the gate is a party-foul waiting to happen!

These racks are very solid, and the fit & finish are perfect. For the top rack, I popped off the tailgate's horizontal plastic cover and bolted the rack into the factory holes (There were some included spacers.) The vertical racks just snapped-in: insert the top at an angle, rotate the rack flat against the louvers, then push to snap it in. I couldn't remove them by hand, I needed a putty knife to pop them off from the bottom.

I'm very impressed. I'm still figuring out how to arrange everything, but I'm getting close. :)
I just ordered my Raider Rack, and I already regret that I didn't get more MOLLE hangers and hardware. Their shipping cost is pretty outrageous and I see lots of t-slot stuff on Amazon, so I'm just wondering if you have picked up anything that you recommend besides the cup holders. Thanks!

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

3.jpg

2.jpg
How's installation like? Any drilling required for the upper rail?
The bottoms are just click-ins I presume?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This reminds me...am I the only one who wants to cut the interior panel at the brake, install a piano hinge and have a little storage IN the gate itself?

I understand the latch mechanism is in there but something soft(er) like a strap might fit.

OP
OP
Recursion

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just ordered my Raider Rack, and I already regret that I didn't get more MOLLE hangers and hardware. Their shipping cost is pretty outrageous and I see lots of t-slot stuff on Amazon, so I'm just wondering if you have picked up anything that you recommend besides the cup holders. Thanks!
I haven't added anything else yet. But if you get the right sized hardware elsewhere for cheaper, then go for it, for sure.

How's installation like? Any drilling required for the upper rail?
The bottoms are just click-ins I presume?
It's really easy. No drilling. But I did snip off a couple plastic offsets.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't added anything else yet. But if you get the right sized hardware elsewhere for cheaper, then go for it, for sure.
I got the thing installed with no issue, but those "drop in" t-nuts are a pain in MY nuts. How the hell do you get them to flip the right way? I eventually got things mounted with a lot of frustration. Tonight I wanted to rearrange stuff and ended up just taking everything off to be dealt with when I have more patience.

I think what I need are these, since the just slide in from the side: https://www.raiderrack.com/product/slide-in-m6-channel-nut/

$5 for 4 of them, though?? And $4 for 4 button cap screws? The real kicker is $16 shipping! Hell no... I was born, but not last night.

I'm gonna have to see what I can find elsewhere.

Edit: These look like they'll fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFHL582/ I just ordered them and will report back, here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Recursion

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I got the thing installed with no issue, but those "drop in" t-nuts are a pain in MY nuts. How the hell do you get them to flip the right way? I eventually got things mounted with a lot of frustration. Tonight I wanted to rearrange stuff and ended up just taking everything off to be dealt with when I have more patience.

I think what I need are these, since the just slide in from the side: https://www.raiderrack.com/product/slide-in-m6-channel-nut/

$5 for 4 of them, though?? And $4 for 4 button cap screws? The real kicker is $16 shipping! Hell no... I was born, but not last night.

I'm gonna have to see what I can find elsewhere.

Edit: These look like they'll fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFHL582/ I just ordered them and will report back, here.
Sorry for the delay, work sucks.
With the drop-ins, I just started tightening them after I dropped them in & they spun in place. I did have to repeat the process with one to get it to position correctly.

Those wider ones are great (I got a pair of them), but using them requires nothing in the way. So if you're installing something not at any end, you'll have to remove anything in the way first.

That shipping doesn't sound legit. I'd bet it's a website snafu...call or email the guy.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: These work, but would work better if they were a tad bigger. I’m happy with them for the price, but if I need more I’ll look for bigger ones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFHL582/
Sponsored