Raid Rear Bumper Reviews?

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Totally hear ya and appreciate that, and yeah if you want it to tuck under the fender you'll likely have to remove that lower inner liner.

Here is a bumper to check out, Nemesis Kelvin.. only 45 pounds, granted it's aluminum, but they make stout stuff.

https://nem-ind.com/jl-jlu-kelvin-mid-width-rear-bumper.html
I like the looks. Wondering if it works with spare mounted. I will check with them. Thanks for the link!
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Nice find! I wasn't aware of this product. Just ordered on Quadratec (a little cheaper and free shipping if you order over $49).
Did you order the aluminum rear bumper? If so I'd like to know your thoughts on fit, finish and how well it mounts to the frame. I've seen the Nemesis one before and it's not bad but I'm not a fan on the mesh. I like the hi-lift jack points on the others so it's a trade off.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I don’t see the thickness of the metal? And it looks like it may be 1/8”? Which I would not be happy with. I also don’t like how it wraps around the side of the body. I’d be afraid of body damage from the bumper getting pushed into the body.
I love my Motobilt bumpers! 3/16 steel, 60 lbs. and $500 each. They do ship bare though. But that saves of the headache of getting a damaged bumper.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I don’t see the thickness of the metal? And it looks like it may be 1/8”? Which I would not be happy with. I also don’t like how it wraps around the side of the body. I’d be afraid of body damage from the bumper getting pushed into the body.
I love my Motobilt bumpers! 3/16 steel, 60 lbs. and $500 each. They do ship bare though. But that saves of the headache of getting a damaged bumper.
Its 3/16" which appears to be pretty standard. It (along with most quality bumpers) uses 8 mounting bolts, which helps prevent any rotation of the bumper into the body. I think the only concern is if it were to somehow crush up and into the body, but that can happen with almost any bumper depending on its construction. Nemesis make their Billy Rockers out of the same aluminum, and watching the videos of them being beaten to hell, made me appreciate the durability of their construction.

One final thought, and it's more of a PSA: If you enjoy playing in the rocks but live in an area that sees frequent rain/snow/salt be vigilant cleaning up and painting over any scratches, dings, or chips otherwise you will get rust.

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Did you order the aluminum rear bumper? If so I'd like to know your thoughts on fit, finish and how well it mounts to the frame. I've seen the Nemesis one before and it's not bad but I'm not a fan on the mesh. I like the hi-lift jack points on the others so it's a trade off.
No, I have the Roam Slimline tire carrier. While I do love it, it was a bit of a pain to install and they have been out of stock for a long time so I can't really recommend it. It has the wraparound corner protection but leaves the tub exposed towards the tire so I'm excited to get the Fishbone product.

Jeep Wrangler JL Raid Rear Bumper Reviews? IMG_20210712_163753142
Jeep Wrangler JL Raid Rear Bumper Reviews? IMG_20210712_163725928

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
No, I have the Roam Slimline tire carrier. While I do love it, it was a bit of a pain to install and they have been out of stock for a long time so I can't really recommend it. It has the wraparound corner protection but leaves the tub exposed towards the tire so I'm excited to get the Fishbone product.

I like those Fishbone protectors also, good concept.

Kirkpatrick618

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
Military / Retired / Contractor
Thank you! I'm about to pull the trigger myself, probably next week. Looking forward to you're review.
I researched their equipment on some of the Australian sites and it seems legit. I also called and spoke to a rep there for a half hour about the kit and he gave me the code "welcome10" to get 10% off then with free shipping this bumper is the same price as the Hyline bumper I was wanting to purchase but was constantly getting pushed further back on backorder.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I researched their equipment on some of the Australian sites and it seems legit. I also called and spoke to a rep there for a half hour about the kit and he gave me the code "welcome10" to get 10% off then with free shipping this bumper is the same price as the Hyline bumper I was wanting to purchase but was constantly getting pushed further back on backorder.
I've chatted online with them a little and they were very helpful and responsive which goes a long way with me, glad to hear it was the same on the phone. I did a little research also and it looks like they know what they are doing in the overlanding business in Australia, at least for 50+ years.

Kirkpatrick618

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
Military / Retired / Contractor
I like those Fishbone protectors also, good concept.
I also purchased the Fishbone Protectors and have them setting in a box in the garage. I'm not sure if I will need them yet with the Raid bumper, I bought them when I was going the Hyline bumper route.

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I also purchased the Fishbone Protectors and have them setting in a box in the garage. I'm not sure if I will need them yet with the Raid bumper, I bought them when I was going the Hyline bumper route.
Mine are out for delivery today. It looks like you have to remove that lower portion of the inner liner which leaves the seam exposed.

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on mine and got a 20% code, if it's not too late you might try it. THANKS20

Update... I ordered my bumper yesterday and was contacted the same day to verify the shipping information. Today I received an email updating the order status to shipped and it will be here next Tuesday. So far I am very impressed with their communication and customer service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
My bumper was delivered today. The packaging was excellent and the components were all very well packaged individually and protected. I guess I didn't realize that it came with a new class III hitch and tire relocation bracket. So far it seems like a really nice setup. I just called and confirmed that they do not have written installation instructions online yet since it's such a new product but they do have an installation video.
Sponsored

Last edited: