Rock Hard Patriot Tire Carrier Bumper Reviews

DZLRBCN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel JL
Anyone have one? Not finding much in regards to reviews online. Second guessing the tailgate reinforcing carrier I bought (Metalcloak) as it does nothing for the hinges. I'm going 37 or 38's on Rock Monsters....
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard Patriot Tire Carrier Bumper Reviews RH Bumper.JPG
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I am interested in this bumper primarily to make use of the rack accessories that Rock Hard makes available for it.

I hope you do not mind my adding a few questions.

I currently have the MOPAR OEM steel bumpers, which came on the Rubicon I purchased from existing inventory, and do not particularly feel the need for a new bumper, but the tire rack and its cargo accessories seem useful for me.

Having said that, I am aware that many people have had bad experiences with the MOPAR OEM steel bumper "wrap-around" bending upwards into the body panels and damaging the quarter panels, so when shopping for a tire carrier style bumper system, I have been anticipating the selection of one that does not wrap around.

The wrap around that Rock Hard designed looks great, but I wonder if there are any issues with it bending and damaging the quarter panels. Does the extra clearance make it unlikely? Is it so strong that it suspends the Jeep without bending?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i have had mine on since july '19, very happy with it very strong bumper, i have a gerry can mount from them as well on there, The bumper ties into the frame not only on the sides but also from the bottom and there is a good gap between the body and the bumper so the chance of contact is almost none. I dont have backup sensors so i cannot speak to that. When lookng i was deciding between this and the LOD destroyer

like:
  • strong bumper
  • good frame tie in
  • license plate integration
  • relocated hitch and wiring hookup
  • the bumper extends well below the tub providing great protection for the pinch seem and is nice and flat to slide off of
  • cb mount at no extra cost
  • hilight mount at no extra cost
    comes with extension wiring for camera

not like:
  • the swing arm depends on weight to keep everything stiff, you can adjust playing around with shims on the spindle to adjust the shims but that requires removing the arm so it takes time to dial it to what you want
  • the powder coating is ok, i live in MA so i expect rust and most places their powered coating is junk, but from what i have seen it is mostly holding up trouble spots are in the license plate hole water can pool in there causing some surface rust, the rubber stopper by the latch has chipped away the paint causing surface rust which is washing down the bumper, the thing edges of the steel the powered coat did not adhear too well and is pealing off on the gerry can mount, and the bolts provided for the hitch plug plate are not corrosion resistant
  • it does lift up the tire high (good thing for off road) but it does block a lot of your review mirror

notes about install:
  • it is heavy, i did it myself in my driveway but put some good dings in the powder coat because of its weight and one man lifting
  • the license plate light is reused from the factory bumper, that is held in with plastic threads and stamped nuts that i broke just trying to remove it, i was able to install it with zip ties on the rh4x4 bumper

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for the detailed info.

@Sheepjeep With regards to the shim, did you find that the tire rack rattled until you got the shims just right?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Thank you for the detailed info.

@Sheepjeep With regards to the shim, did you find that the tire rack rattled until you got the shims just right?

Thank you.
it will rattle if it is not shimmed correct for the weight because it uses a plastic block by the latch to put upward pressure on it to keep it stiff. but pretty much all tire carriers will rattle a little bit

Sponsored

OP
OP
DZLRBCN

DZLRBCN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel JL
Not sure why my search never brought up all the similar threads? Oh well-great info here! I found it for a great price with no sales tax (which I wil pay at tax time;)) and free shipping. Only downside is the 6-8 week lead. Patiently waiting.....

ryno1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Bump for reviews and/or pics on your Jeep. I'm thinking about going with this rear bumper carrier and b/c of the functionality, but want to see if the powdercoat dulls a little over time. I'm hoping some of the shine gets knocked down after it's been on a Jeep for a little while.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I am still considering one of these bumpers. I like the design of the swing arm, and like the fact that the license plate location and lighting is incorporated.

If this bumper/carrier combo was available in aluminum I would have already purchased it.

My hesitancy in purchasing the steel version is the concern that the opportunity to carry an "overweight" tire, gas cans, etc. is made available by choosing to install an overweight bumper.

This does not seem like a win win solution. I am hoping for a better solution such as a tire swing arm pivot that bolts to the frame and is not reliant on a welded connection to the bumper. AEV made something like that for the JK.

A design such as that could provide all the features I hope for. The Rock Hard design comes really close but they do not seem interested in adapting their Aluminum patriot bumper with any sort of swing arm mount.

OP
OP
DZLRBCN

DZLRBCN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel JL
Bump for reviews and/or pics on your Jeep. I'm thinking about going with this rear bumper carrier and b/c of the functionality, but want to see if the powder coat dulls a little over time. I'm hoping some of the shine gets knocked down after it's been on a Jeep for a little while.
Little dirty from the rain....Build is top quality. Powder coat is stellar so far. Customer Service was refreshing-I am not real easy to please but this beat my expectations. I do a lot of custom fab and for 1350 it was hard not to justify-considering just powder coat costs around here. Really glad I pulled the trigger.

Couple minor complaints-The locking pin that holds the swing open rides the top of the bumper. Eventually the coating will wear thru along the arc of travel. Now that there is 2 steps to opening the rear made me realize how often I am in and out of there.

Weight. This thing is heavy-Close to 300# hanging off the back with the spare. I will be upgrading to 4.5" rear springs when Metalcloak releases them. I have a noticeable sag before I load anything in the rear.

RH_Patriot.jpg
Sponsored