Radio/Mic Mount Options

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
My JL has a ship date of 4/25 so I'm starting to amass the items I'd like to have on it from day one. Which leads me to radios. I plan to go the GRMS route, still not sure which radio I'll buy. What radio are you using and where do you have the unit (and mic) mounted? Include brand of mount too please so I can do some homework. And a pic or two if you have them handy. Thanks.
Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running a Midland 275 GMRS and a CB/SSB radio. Both use MagneticMic magnet mounts for the mics. The CB/SSB is mounted with the Quadratec quick release mount, the GMRS is currently on a CMM Offroad mount. I'm using Cooltech antenna mounts for each, a 4' Firestick on the rear for the CB/SSB and a front mount for the GMRS.

radios.JPG

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
I have a HAM license so I'm using a HAM radio in my Jeep. But the mic mounting might be helpful for you. I use Magnetic Mic on the console. Out of the way and easily accessible.
Another FTM-400 Ham Radio Install - Pic heavy | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

Jeep Wrangler JL Radio/Mic Mount Options magmic1

Jeep Wrangler JL Radio/Mic Mount Options magmic1
I saw your build thread last night after doing a quick search, it was really good. Hadnā€™t really thought about on the center console before that.
Thanks for the info guys. I like the cleaner look of the hidden main unit I think. Used to have one of those Cobra WX75 all in one CBs in the JK. With that Midland at 15W, how has range been in deep forests? Here in northern Michigan, itā€™s almost constantly dense woods so itā€™s always an issue.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I have the Midland 275 and have it under the driver seat and mic mounted on the dash
Jeep Wrangler JL Radio/Mic Mount Options PXL_20210410_130150171

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I have the Midland 275 and have it under the driver seat and mic mounted on the dash
Jeep Wrangler JL Radio/Mic Mount Options PXL_20210410_130150171
I've seen others put their mic in that area and it IS convenient. My concern is if there was a front end collision where the air bag went off, would the mic become an object that would cause injury?

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Great question about the airbag??? I feel like there is enough room for it to deploy without throwing the mic into the air? Hope I never find out!

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
I've seen others put their mic in that area and it IS convenient. My concern is if there was a front end collision where the air bag went off, would the mic become an object that would cause injury?
I swear, I saw a photo of a deployed airbag on this forum and that was part of the discussion. The passenger airbag pops straight out of the red area between the vents on the dash, but the opening is small. I shouldā€™ve saved the photo.... The opening looked like it was about 2ā€ tall and Iā€™m not sure on width, but an inch or two INSIDE from the vents. IMO, and only my opinion, that mount would be safe. The airbag may push it towards the center of anything. Iā€™ll do a quick search and if I can find the photo, Iā€™ll share it here.

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
I learned something today. LOL I can't tell how low the opening is but my impression is that it probably wouldn't throw the mic at occupants. And I hope you never find out too.
šŸ‘šŸ¼ Totally agree. Thanks. Hereā€™s to hoping thatā€™s a correct assessment.
Sponsored