Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This is not necessary on every install. Again, this happens on very few vehicle's systems, and this is one of several solutions we mentioned.
True that it doesn't happen on every install. However when it does, with your product, the solution should not be for the customer to have to purchase a 3rd party product to resolve the issue. The solution should be provided by Oracle, without added cost the to the customer. The customer has no way of knowing the issue would occur at time of purchase. And, of course, once the product is installed it is considered used by Oracle so the the option of returning for a full refund is lost. Seems to me it puts full burden on the customer, does it not? I'm not looking for a response here, just stating how I see things.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I hooked up a ground wire from the battery directly to the ground on the Halo lights, it seems to have corrected the static but we'll have to get out and drive it some to see if it has resolved the issue completely. Not my ideal wiring scenario, but it works. Because I have the Oracle Rock lights controller box mounted near the battery, I can't easily access the ground screws provided by the factory...

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Well, I hooked up a ground wire from the battery directly to the ground on the Halo lights, it seems to have corrected the static but we'll have to get out and drive it some to see if it has resolved the issue completely. Not my ideal wiring scenario, but it works. Because I have the Oracle Rock lights controller box mounted near the battery, I can't easily access the ground screws provided by the factory...
Glad you found a fix. There's nothing wrong with running the ground to the battery.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You shouldnā€™t need to leave it there, just suggested for diagnosing the problem. Fix the ground you were originally using by taking your screw out, and remove the paint so your ring connector can touch metal. The screw most likely has a coating that isnā€™t a good conductor. Assuming that works put a dab of silicone on it or hit it with paint.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, update... We drove the Jeep around yesterday and the static is still there. Not as bad as it was, but definitely worse than before we installed the halos.

The Ferrite Clamp on Cores will be delivered today, so we'll see if that helps any at all...

Sponsored

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
So, update... We drove the Jeep around yesterday and the static is still there. Not as bad as it was, but definitely worse than before we installed the halos.

The Ferrite Clamp on Cores will be delivered today, so we'll see if that helps any at all...
Please keep us update once installed!
-Melissa

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Please keep us update once installed!
-Melissa
Melissa, I installed the Ferrite clamps (one on each positive wire) and still no difference. However, I did determine one thing... When the hood is open, the radio works fine, as soon as I shut the hood it goes haywire... So I played around with opening and closing the hood and determined that the interference starts happening just before the hood safety latch goes into the "hole" (not sure what that is called), so the hood is still 6-8" from being closed when the interference starts.

There is nothing that I can see that should cause this, the only other electrical thing I have installed under the hood is the Oracle 4-piece Rock Light controller, it is mounted on a piece of ABS plastic that rests on the battery. It does not make contact with the hood even when fully closed, so I don't think that could be causing a problem. The rock lights have been on there for months, and they are wired to Auxiliary Switch #4 which rarely gets turned on. Also this didn't start until I installed the halos, so it has to be something connected to those.

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Melissa, I installed the Ferrite clamps (one on each positive wire) and still no difference. However, I did determine one thing... When the hood is open, the radio works fine, as soon as I shut the hood it goes haywire... So I played around with opening and closing the hood and determined that the interference starts happening just before the hood safety latch goes into the "hole" (not sure what that is called), so the hood is still 6-8" from being closed when the interference starts.

There is nothing that I can see that should cause this, the only other electrical thing I have installed under the hood is the Oracle 4-piece Rock Light controller, it is mounted on a piece of ABS plastic that rests on the battery. It does not make contact with the hood even when fully closed, so I don't think that could be causing a problem. The rock lights have been on there for months, and they are wired to Auxiliary Switch #4 which rarely gets turned on. Also this didn't start until I installed the halos, so it has to be something connected to those.
Hey Scott,

The clamps should actually go around the positive and negative wires, not just the positive. I'd try that along with the ground being moved away from the fender (Where the antenna is also grounded)

All electronics emit EMI. If you look at a conventional power supply for a laptop or similar, you'll see the same ferrite core right before the plug. The frequency emitted can vary and can interfere with some vehicle antenna. This has been something that has been reported with numerous different AM electronics dating back to the early JK models.

Some cases, it can be resolved completely or at the very least quieted down by moving the ground in relation to the ground for the Jeep's antenna, or using those ferrite clamps.

In more extreme cases, opting for an aftermarket antenna would also resolve the issue.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Scott,

The clamps should actually go around the positive and negative wires, not just the positive. I'd try that along with the ground being moved away from the fender (Where the antenna is also grounded)

All electronics emit EMI. If you look at a conventional power supply for a laptop or similar, you'll see the same ferrite core right before the plug. The frequency emitted can vary and can interfere with some vehicle antenna. This has been something that has been reported with numerous different AM electronics dating back to the early JK models.

Some cases, it can be resolved completely or at the very least quieted down by moving the ground in relation to the ground for the Jeep's antenna, or using those ferrite clamps.

In more extreme cases, opting for an aftermarket antenna would also resolve the issue.

Thanks, I'll try that and report back... I actually have an aftermarket antenna... (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RRNCZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sorry I just canā€™t wrap my head around paying over $500 for lights then be told I have to add this and then that to get rid of something those lights did, I know Oracle canā€™t foresee all the possible problems but it would seem that some additional testing should have been done, maybe @JSFoster75 is in the minority group for this happening but I wonā€™t purchase these lights and possibly deal with the same issue if not another issue and then be stuck with them since they have such a generous return policy šŸ˜

Sponsored

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sorry I just canā€™t wrap my head around paying over $500 for lights then be told I have to add this and then that to get rid of something those lights did, I know Oracle canā€™t foresee all the possible problems but it would seem that some additional testing should have been done, maybe @JSFoster75 is in the minority group for this happening but I wonā€™t purchase these lights and possibly deal with the same issue if not another issue and then be stuck with them since they have such a generous return policy šŸ˜

Just so we are on the same page, these are the $205.95 Halo's, not the entire light assembly. :)

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just so we are on the same page, these are the $205.95 Halo's, not the entire light assembly. :)
The ones that affix to the stock headlamp with adhesive ? I made the terrible assumptin when you said Oracle halos that you were talking about the Oculus halo lamps, I did look at the halo rings that get glued to the existing headlamps and I think I quickly decided that was not going to be a route I took as I just did not like the design, very good concept but to me poor execution or Oracles part but Iā€™m sure it fills a market for those looking for halos at a much more affordable price point but one still should not have to keep adding things to get them to play nice.

If Oracle had discovered this in some testing to me if a customer reports a known issue that happens to some then they should supply the needed items to resolve.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The ones that affix to the stock headlamp with adhesive ? I made the terrible assumptin when you said Oracle halos that you were talking about the Oculus halo lamps, I did look at the halo rings that get glued to the existing headlamps and I think I quickly decided that was not going to be a route I took as I just did not like the design, very good concept but to me poor execution or Oracles part but Iā€™m sure it fills a market for those looking for halos at a much more affordable price point but one still should not have to keep adding things to get them for play nice.
Well, I don't care for them, but my wife insisted on putting them on hers and I refused to disassemble the factory LED headlamps to put them on the inside as some brands require... They actually look pretty good when the grill is installed, I'll have to post a photo.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
One of the problems with that attitude is that if you truly do subscribe to it, you can't ever buy anything aftermarket. I can think of very few aftermarket add-ons for any vehicle that i've ever owned that didn't require some sort of workaround or installation fix. I understand your pretty reasonable desire for more testing - but the bottom line is that when it comes to aftermarket products, if you have the most desirable option, there is no motivation for lengthy testing and development. The "coolest" version of any given thing always sells the most. That could be due to the best set of features, the best appearance, the best performance...etc. It is almost NEVER due to the highest reliability or quality. I mean consider the very vehicle we are all here talking about as a case-in-point: the JL has a pretty abysmal quality record (and some pretty scary design choices that I can confirm from first-hand experience) yet ain't nobody lining up to buy a 4Runner.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I don't care for them, but my wife insisted on putting them on hers and I refused to disassemble the factory LED headlamps to put them on the inside as some brands require... They actually look pretty good when the grill is installed, I'll have to post a photo.
Well gotta keep the Mrs. happy, I went thru a similar thing with my wife, she wanted some fog lights added to a Ford Expedition she had and these fogs had some automatic shields on the front that opened automatically when the lights came on and heated up, great concept but crappy design as they always needed adjustment to the bimetal element spring that controlled them opening and closing and after one season I tossed them in the trash and cut my losses.
Sponsored