Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
One of the problems with that attitude is that if you truly do subscribe to it, you can't ever buy anything aftermarket. I can think of very few aftermarket add-ons for any vehicle that i've ever owned that didn't require some sort of workaround or installation fix. I understand your pretty reasonable desire for more testing - but the bottom line is that when it comes to aftermarket products, if you have the most desirable option, there is no motivation for lengthy testing and development. The "coolest" version of any given thing always sells the most. That could be due to the best set of features, the best appearance, the best performance...etc. It is almost NEVER due to the highest reliability or quality. I mean consider the very vehicle we are all here talking about as a case-in-point: the JL has a pretty abysmal quality record (and some pretty scary design choices that I can confirm from first-hand experience) yet ain't nobody lining up to buy a 4Runner.
I guess I just don’t have the patience to be tolerant enough to be the field engineer to test equipment for any company and then have them tell me add this or that and then they reap the benefits of someone else’s work on something that may or may not have been rushed to market.

For me and maybe it’s the wrong attitude to have if something is advertised to work for the application I want to put it in and it doesn’t then it gets boxed up and sent back and I move on as I don’t have time to be rubbing my head and buying this or that to get their product to work.

I have added several aftermarket things to my JL. and yes some have failed and after going thru the install to make sure I dd it right then I contact the maker and if they don’t supply me with a fix that actually works then they get there product back and in some cases where it’s been a small investment I just toss the product and cut my losses and maybe it’s because my Jeep is a daily driver and I just don’t have time to have it parked while I research a fix.
Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I guess I just don’t have the patience to be tolerant enough to be the field engineer to test equipment for any company and then have them tell me add this or that and then they reap the benefits of someone else’s work on something that may or may not have been rushed to market.
Yup and as the stuff we buy becomes more and more complicated and the market becomes more and more competitive, the situation you describe is rapidly becoming the accepted norm. It's getting to the point where the time needed to properly test many products would render them obsolete by the time they were released. Also, the pressure to "cheap out" on components wherever possible continues to increase. It's astounding how poorly pretty much everything is built these days...but it's only going to get worse because no one is going to pay MORE for things...the pressure is to bring prices down because everything is already too dang expensive.

But I don't think your attitude is wrong, per se. If that's what makes you happy then stick with it. I don't see anything truly wrong with a stock Wrangler...it's still an awesome vehicle. I just can't help but tinker with things, it's in my nature. So I get bored of "stock" real quick, and having to troubleshoot stupid problems is a pre-requisite of venturing outside of the "stock" condition.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It seems like the product manufacturer should include adequate filtering in the driver circuit.

...All electronics emit EMI...
Yes, but not all circuits spew EMI at radio frequencies that interfere with other circuits.

The fact the emissions do occur is why manufacturers are persuaded, either by regulatory means or negative reaction in the marketplace to design and implement electronic circuits that do not interfere with other circuits.

In this case there seems to be inadequate filtering built into the Oracle Halo product design and manufacture, which is why witchcraft has to be conjured to solve this problem after the fact.

For the OP:
If you have the single color lights with the two red and black wire connections, you might try twisting the wires in a tight pattern to see if that helps reduce the intensity of the emissions.

If you have the multi color ribbon cable wiring, think of it as a transmitting antenna and wonder who thought parallel wires were a good idea for a high frequency oscillating circuit.

If you have any excess length of the connection wire, avoid bundling the extra length into a tidy coil.

Finally try relocating the little driver boxes. The amplitude of the interference should be closely related to the proximity of the noisy signal's source and the location of reception.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like the product manufacturer should include adequate filtering in the driver circuit.

Yes, but not all circuits spew EMI at radio frequencies that interfere with other circuits.

But the fact the emissions do occur is why manufacturers are persuaded, either by regulatory means or negative reaction in the marketplace to design and implement electronic circuits that do not interfere with other circuits.

In this case there seems to be inadequate filtering built into the Oracle Halo product design and manufacture, which is why witchcraft has to employed to solve the problem after the fact.

For the OP:
If you have the single color lights with the two red and black wire connections, you might try twisting the wires in a tight pattern to see if that helps reduce the intensity of the emissions.

If you have the multi color ribbon cable wiring, think of it as a transmitting antenna and wonder who thought parallel wires were a good idea for a high frequency oscillating circuit.

If you have any excess length of the connection wire, avoid bundling the extra length into a tidy coil.

Finally try relocating the little driver boxes. The amplitude of the interference should be closely related to the proximity of the noisy signal's source and the location of reception.

One of the driver boxes is about 30-32" from the antenna, I did try moving it around a little to see if it made a difference, but no luck. The other driver box is on the opposite side of the vehicle... I'll try twisting the wires together to see if that helps also.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan @Yellow Cake Kid @ORACLElights

i’m pretty sure moving the ground off of the fender and directly to the battery has solved the problem. I will know more in the coming days as we drive it more. But initial tests seem to be going well. I did go ahead and put the Ferrite clamp around the ground and the positive wire just in case

Jeep Wrangler JL Radio interference coming from oracle halos F34AD187-439E-4EF4-9166-65E92C4316D2
Sponsored