Sponsored

Radio interference coming from oracle halos

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a fuse tap on fuse number 57 to connect my wife’s oracle LED halos. The closest any of the wires come to the antenna is probably 14 to 16 inches. However anytime the halos are on, which is anytime the jeep is running, the radio has a lot of static. If I unplug the fuse to kill the power to the halos, the static instantly clears up.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
It’s been a long time since I’ve chased audio problems but in the past it was often due to a bad ground. Does the noise change with engine rpm? Also, are the halos grounded somewhere up at the front or plugged into a factory wiring harness?

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been a long time since I’ve chased audio problems but in the past it was often due to a bad ground. Does the noise change with engine rpm? Also, are the halos grounded somewhere up at the front or plugged into a factory wiring harness?
they are grounded to the frame near the air intake, I was thinking about possibly hooking them up to an auxiliary switch instead of a fuse tap to see if that made any difference.

I drilled a pilot hole in the frame and used a self tapping metal screw to ground them.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
The power source usually isn’t the problem, but a bad ground. If you’re able, disconnect one, then the other to see where the noise is originating from. Then a pretty easy way to see if it’s a bad ground is to use some spare wire and temporarily connect one end to the negative terminal of the battery, and touch the other end to where your headlight is grounded at. May need another person inside to listen for noise going away. If it does, remove your ground, scuff up the paint underneath so you get some bare metal and reconnect the ground. You can spray it with paint or cover with silicone to prevent corrosion afterwards.

Sponsored

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
Hi Scott!

Every electronic component emits an electromagnetic frequency. In some cases, this frequency can interfere with radio antenna depending on your particular vehicle's system.

It is usually a very easy solution. You can try the suggestions provided by other members, and we usually recommend installing a ferrite clamp on your positive wires for your product. This will kill the “noise” or interference emitted by these. Here’s a link where you can get these: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...bTfN-rHkRxld_JK0_9HvDOKPqszQCCS0aAgvWEALw_wcB. If this does not work, please re-locate the ground away from the fender.

Please let us know if we can assist further either here or via a phone 1-800-407-5776.

-Rachel

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Scott!

Every electronic component emits an electromagnetic frequency. In some cases, this frequency can interfere with radio antenna depending on your particular vehicle's system.

It is usually a very easy solution. You can try the suggestions provided by other members, and we usually recommend installing a ferrite clamp on your positive wires for your product. This will kill the “noise” or interference emitted by these. Here’s a link where you can get these: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/0443178281?qs=JTtBSkyWskhlZNzGDOYTOg==&gclid=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWMfQfBJbJG-R-Wz-uAths4bTfN-rHkRxld_JK0_9HvDOKPqszQCCS0aAgvWEALw_wcB. If this does not work, please re-locate the ground away from the fender.

Please let us know if we can assist further either here or via a phone 1-800-407-5776.

-Rachel
Thanks, I ordered a couple, we'll see if this works.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thanks, I ordered a couple, we'll see if this works.
So Oracle tells you do buy another product to fix an issue with theirs? Classic.

Why not include them with the headlights, if this is a known issue?

A shining example of why I will never purchase from Oracle ever again.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So Oracle tells you do buy another product to fix an issue with theirs? Classic.

@jludave this reminds me of gathering around the camp fire for bedtime story, it’s funny but my Raxiom tails that i just put in included everything needed to make them work…and they work and have had zero issues

What a novel concept to include all the customer would need to make a product work right out of the box instead of saying ” Well you will have to buy this or that” so far Oracle is not even on my “B” List

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I had this issue with the Morimoto XB marker lights. Wrapping the resistors in two layers of aluminum foil took care of it for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@jludave this reminds me of gathering around the camp fire for bedtime story, it’s funny but my Raxiom tails that i just put in included everything needed to make them work…and they work and have had zero issues

What a novel concept to include all the customer would need to make a product work right out of the box instead of saying ” Well you will have to buy this or that” so far Oracle is not even on my “B” List

On my previous Jeep I had a similar issue with another LED light product, not sure it's specific to Oracle, I wish the Jeeps had a place on the frame to easily ground things (front & rear). Maybe they do and I'm just overlooking it??

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I had this issue with the Morimoto XB marker lights. Wrapping the resistors in two layers of aluminum foil took care of it for me.
I could kinda except this for lower priced lights but when you start getting into the $550 and above range for lights sandwich foil should not be a needed item unless your wrapping sandwich IMHO.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

On my previous Jeep I had a similar issue with another LED light product, not sure it's specific to Oracle, I wish the Jeeps had a place on the frame to easily ground things (front & rear). Maybe they do and I'm just overlooking it??
Inner fender under the hood on the passenger side has factory ground points.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing

To be clear, this is not an issue with the product but with how the vehicle's system responds to an aftermarket part. It is not possible to include one of every single solution that could fix every response that may or may not happen on each individual Jeep. This is not necessary on every install. Again, this happens on very few vehicle's systems, and this is one of several solutions we mentioned.

I understand how you feel about Oracle Lighting, David, and I am truly sorry you carry that frustration. I personally do not feel that your comment here is fair, but you are entitled to your opinion. Troubleshooting is a common and necessary part of any aftermarket addition. I am simply providing the available information to assist here. I see you regularly engaging with posts and are constantly providing help to other members, which I am sure is greatly appreciated by the forum in general. Your contributions make for a great addition to the online community.

I hope that one of the fixes mentioned solves the issue for you, Scott @JSFoster75. Please feel free to reach out directly if you need further assistance from us.

-Rachel

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I could kinda except this for lower priced lights but when you start getting into the $550 and above range for lights sandwich foil should not be a needed item unless your wrapping sandwich IMHO.
Problem is, Morimoto stuff is not "lower priced lights". Their Jeep headlights are even more expensive than Oracle's.

I can't comment too much on Oracle's products, as I only own two, but they've been flawless for me. One thing I CAN comment on - the JL is very poorly designed. So I would be far more inclined to blame FCA for the static as opposed to Oracle.
Sponsored