Question regarding light bar mounts and performance

GeoBlank

First Name
Gaylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I have seen several people with light bars mounted above the windshield and others that have the hinge/hood mount. Does anyone have any experience or feedback on comparing the two options?

Is hood reflection terrible on the hood mount? What about overall coverage in front of the rig? Are there specific use cases for each? I would also think that is someone was doing amber or flashers that the hood would not be as visible if that is the goal (like in a SAR scenario).

I am shopping and want to get all the feedback I can.

Thanks!
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I can tell you that the wind noise from a windshield mounted lightbar will drive you absolutely nuts.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Light bars look cool but have very little function simply because they put out too much light. If you are concerned about useful driving lights then a pair of 4 cube driving led’s will provide way more than enough light for you to see whatever it is you will need to see on or off road at night.
If you are into the light bar for looks then there’s nothing wrong with that, just see if you can find one that doesn’t whistle while you drive, the only one I know of is the rigid e series (maybe called pro series now) but those are pricey.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I have a 30” in the front. If it makes noise I don’t hear it and works very well for my purposes. I got the amber lense as well which is helpful in some scenarios.

3E5A0310-5A5F-49EC-8F1D-662FF7E28B8C.jpeg

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Light bars look cool but have very little function simply because they put out too much light. If you are concerned about useful driving lights then a pair of 4 cube driving led’s will provide way more than enough light for you to see whatever it is you will need to see on or off road at night.
If you are into the light bar for looks then there’s nothing wrong with that, just see if you can find one that doesn’t whistle while you drive, the only one I know of is the rigid e series (maybe called pro series now) but those are pricey.
Agreed.

I have a set of Baja Designs LP9's. Two lights is way more than enough :rock:

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Agreed.

I have a set of Baja Designs LP9's. Two lights is way more than enough :rock:
So Baja Designs is swapping my 3 year old 50" Stealth light bar from my JK for a pair of LP9 Pros. Best company in the world!! Did you wire your lP9's to the Mopar Aux switches? Just curious how you did wired it to allow for the high and low beam and back lighting functions...

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen several people with light bars mounted above the windshield and others that have the hinge/hood mount. Does anyone have any experience or feedback on comparing the two options?

Is hood reflection terrible on the hood mount? What about overall coverage in front of the rig? Are there specific use cases for each? I would also think that is someone was doing amber or flashers that the hood would not be as visible if that is the goal (like in a SAR scenario).

I am shopping and want to get all the feedback I can.

Thanks!
I have a hood mounted and have no issues. There is no noise from it that I can hear and I use I-95 twice a day at 80+. The people that will complain about the glare are those that may have it angled down too far.

No issues here. Very helpful.

If you’d like a video just PM me.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
So Baja Designs is swapping my 3 year old 50" Stealth light bar from my JK for a pair of LP9 Pros. Best company in the world!! Did you wire your lP9's to the Mopar Aux switches? Just curious how you did wired it to allow for the high and low beam and back lighting functions...
Nice. Mine are all wired to my sPOD Bantam. Saving the AUX switches for other things down the line.

7FDA1DC4-AD14-486D-92DF-7964E21DFA3B.jpeg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I don't need more light in front--I have HEADLIGHTS/HIGH BEAM/FOG LIGHTS--

I only needed more light in the rear, so I added a set of REAR LIGHTS-