Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey Michael. I don't have definite answers for you, but I do have factors I think might be good to consider before making your decision. Perhaps you've considered these:
  • How much current does that new light bar you've purchased pull compared to the factory fog lights? If you hooked things up via the fog lights I'd want to know that you won't be taxing the factory wiring. My gut tells me that as an LED unit it probably doesn't draw that much current relative to its lumens but I didn't research the 20" light bar you purchased.
  • How much "competition" do your chosen accessories have for an aux switch? Can you see yourself using the wiring that your light bar requires on an aux switch taking away from something else you'd rather be running on this wiring that wouldn't always be on or off in lock step with the new fog lights?
  • Do you ever see, maybe off road, running the bright headlights and the new lights? If so, hooking up the new lights to the fog light switch would prevent this as most locales I know don't allow street legal use of fog lights and bright headlights at the same time, so these two lighting systems are usually factory designed to be mutually exclusive, as is the case in the JL.

Enjoy!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You can only run the light bar if it's DOT approved for "driving lights". If it's simply an LED light bar, you can not use it on the road, so using with your dim lights would not work.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You can only run the light bar if it's DOT approved for "driving lights". If it's simply an LED light bar, you can not use it on the road, so using with your dim lights would not work.
Noted Brandy...but could you see this fact influencing which switch to hook the lights up to: the fog ligh'ts switch or an Aux switch?

I cannot---but it's entirely possible I'm missing something.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Noted Brandy...but could you see this fact influencing which switch to hook the lights up to: the fog ligh'ts switch or an Aux switch?

I cannot---but it's entirely possible I'm missing something.
I think I would use the AUX, just to be sure I didn't accidentally turn them on by using the fog switch? That would be my only concern, but I agree with you that I can't see them pulling much power since it is LED. I personally have been blinded by a lifted truck with an LED bar attached to the lower section of the bumper bring used as a "fog light":headbang:

Sponsored

OP
OP

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
16.72 is the amp draw on the light bar. Does anyone know how much the factory fog lights pull?

And thanks for the insight for sure!!! Very solid points to consider!!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
16.72 is the amp draw on the light bar. Does anyone know how much the factory fog lights pull?

And thanks for the insight for sure!!! Very solid points to consider!!
I think an auxiliary switch is your best bet. I replaced the factory fogs with Baja Squadron Pros, and even though they're bright AF at 4000 lumens, they only draw 2.9A...so I'd think 16.72 is a bit much for fogs.

OP
OP

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I think an auxiliary switch is your best bet. I replaced the factory fogs with Baja Squadron Pros, and even though they're bright AF at 4000 lumens, they only draw 2.9A...so I'd think 16.72 is a bit much for fogs.

Thanks. Looks like that's the best route for sure.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I would caution it you are going to run a light bar or any accessory really, to use a relay to prevent damage. It is a simple set up and protects the factory wiring. I can explain if needed how to wire but I am sure there are hundreds of diagrams on this site alone. Relay is basically a heavy duty switch that is triggered by a small magnetic field(coil of wire). It connects 12 volts to your high amp light directly without going through the switch/wiring in the cab.

OP
OP

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I would caution it you are going to run a light bar or any accessory really, to use a relay to prevent damage. It is a simple set up and protects the factory wiring. I can explain if needed how to wire but I am sure there are hundreds of diagrams on this site alone. Relay is basically a heavy duty switch that is triggered by a small magnetic field(coil of wire). It connects 12 volts to your high amp light directly without going through the switch/wiring in the cab.
I’m hoping it comes with a relay. I’ll let you know. Thank you.
Sponsored