First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I have only ever had a hard top. Today I went to a dealership and looked at a 2 door soft top. I wanted to check how much storage it had. I opened the tailgate and went to lift the rear window, but couldn’t. It seemed really inconvenient. Is there a way around this? Does everyone duck under to get out stuff in? Thanks in advance.
Current jeep is a 2 door soft top. This whole back window thing has always grrrred me. I duck. Unless I have to undo. Theres no simple solution if the top is on. But despite the annoyance of a few seconds of inconvenience, I still LOVE soft tops over hard. Even when I'm balancing the open window on my head to load groceries, lol. Just go topless.
Sponsored

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Anything new to add to this back window entry / bypass. Any solutions? Thinking about getting a soft top , but really concerned that I will get annoyed by the whole back window thing. As I am always tossing stuff in & out.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
I installed a sunrider a few weeks ago and love it. Use it every day, it’s almost the best of both worlds. I suppose it depends on how often you wanna get naked

https://www.bestop.com/products/sunrider-for-hardtop-jeep-2020-2022-gladiator-2018-2022-wrangler-jl/
Yeah , that’s great add on. I had one for my hardtop. I now have the SOT but considering a real soft top for my next order. Just not sure about a couple things. 1. How well the AC will work here in South Florida with a soft top & also access to rear cargo area.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anything new to add to this back window entry / bypass. Any solutions? Thinking about getting a soft top , but really concerned that I will get annoyed by the whole back window thing. As I am always tossing stuff in & out.
My average time to unclip the rear window and fold it up is 8 seconds. Ditto, reinstallation.

The soft top's rear window isn't the pearl-clutching impediment that some suggest it to be. It only needs unclipped if one's cargo doesn't fit through the tailgate, too.

Sponsored

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
My average time to unclip the rear window and fold it up is 8 seconds. Ditto, reinstallation.

The soft top's rear window isn't the pearl-clutching impediment that some suggest it to be. It only needs unclipped if one's cargo doesn't fit through the tailgate, too.
Please pardon my ignorance, Are u able to leave it rolled up & out of the way? While driving also. Thx

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Are u able to leave it rolled up & out of the way? While driving also. Thx
No, and I concede to missing that feature since I could do just that on my 1995 YJ Wrangler.

The circumferential tabs on the JL's rear window panel concurrently secure it to the tailgate and adjacent side window panels, and serve an important retention feature. The stiffness of the tabs prevents rolling up or removal of the rear panel when driving. I've seen the latter done, very infrequently, but it's not recommended.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah , that’s great add on. I had one for my hardtop. I now have the SOT but considering a real soft top for my next order. Just not sure about a couple things. 1. How well the AC will work here in South Florida with a soft top & also access to rear cargo area.
live in Memphis so somewhat close to your weather, will be 98-100 out with 60% humidity and feels like 110. AC is a champ and only takes a few minutes to cool down.

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
Yeah, the JL soft tops are waaaay easier to deal with than previous generations. My JK sometimes took me 10 minutes to get back together. Those zippers sucked.

Sponsored

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Sometimes I duck under. Other times I just undo the tabs on the back window and flip it up. Yes it’s a little more work compared to the hard top but I’ll take that trade off any day.
100% agreed. Its not very often that I have to do that but the convenience of being topless faster than a $3 crack whore jones'n for a fix is worth it!! People say "isnt it cold in the winter" or "is it really loud on the highway"? the answers are no and no. I knew if I bought a hard top it would rarely be off because its a process to do so and if you arent going topless often, why have a Wrangler. Topless and doors off is 85% of the reasons why I have my wrangler.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I knew if I bought a hard top it would rarely be off because its a process to do so and if you arent going topless often, why have a Wrangler. Topless and doors off is 85% of the reasons why I have my wrangler.
The soft top provides an observable increase in headroom, too.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
100% agreed. Its not very often that I have to do that but the convenience of being topless faster than a $3 crack whore jones'n for a fix is worth it!! People say "isnt it cold in the winter" or "is it really loud on the highway"? the answers are no and no. I knew if I bought a hard top it would rarely be off because its a process to do so and if you arent going topless often, why have a Wrangler. Topless and doors off is 85% of the reasons why I have my wrangler.
Exactly! Couldn’t of said it better. Haha. I almost got the duel top but figured the same. I’d have to find a place to store it b/c I never use it. So why buy it. The convenience to just be topless in 3 sec is great.
Sponsored