Sponsored

Question about Maintenance

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe (exp delivery end of Jan 2022)
Hey, y'all-- I just crossed the 3000 mark (I'm at 3600.) I thought for sure that I needed maintenance (oil change specifically) at 3000 miles, but when I open the app, it shows no immediate or suggested actions.

I confirmed that the app is showing the correct mileage.

Oil Life Remaining says 52% (I do drive mostly electric.)

I want to be sure I'm doing the maintenance correctly, so any input is appreciated!
Sponsored

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
It will not hurt to change the oil sooner than what the app. suggests.

For warranty... they can't hold it against you if you follow the recommendation.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will not hurt to change the oil sooner than what the app. suggests.

For warranty... they can't hold it against you if you follow the recommendation.
I got the extended Jeep Wave mainenance plan thing... would I be doing earlier ones out of pocket? It looks like that plan says every 5K miles. I've always thought oil changes were supposed to be every 3K.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I got the extended Jeep Wave mainenance plan thing... would I be doing earlier ones out of pocket? It looks like that plan says every 5K miles. I've always thought oil changes were supposed to be every 3K.
3K oil changes with the new oils is overkill. That said, the first change at 3k would be "insurance" that you are draining out any contaminants that may occur from manufacturing the engine. But it is not an requirment of your warranty to change oil at this time.

BigFeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Take advantage of free whatever you can, but...

Honestly, I would do my own if I were you. I'm old school and don't believe in the synthetic voodoo others do, so... the sooner the change the better.

No need for scheduling. Takes less than 15 minutes. I know what is going in, and can see what is coming out. Etcetera.

Edit to add: Service intervals should be considered based on the abuse the engine is under. If the use of the engine is not much, and extreme temperatures aren't a variable, etcetera, then the service interval is not needed as frequently. If you are driving like you stole it, and you are in Death Valley, you may want to adjust your intervals to be more frequent.

Under normal everyday wear and tear for normal humans... following the recommendation the manual/app provides is good practice. Changing your oil sooner is only going to be better, and slightly more expensive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Yep, a good idea is to change in now. Then every 5,000 miles, along with tire rotations.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, a good idea is to change in now. Then every 5,000 miles, along with tire rotations.
Another Q, since I am beyond new to car maintenance-- I know that you have to stick with the same type of oil. I'm assuming 4xe is synthetic? Do I need to know the letters and numbers?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Another Q, since I am beyond new to car maintenance-- I know that you have to stick with the same type of oil. I'm assuming 4xe is synthetic? Do I need to know the letters and numbers?
The 4xe uses the 2.0L turbo, so you'll need full synthetic 5w30 that says on the bottle it meets API SP standards.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Edit to add: Service intervals should be considered based on the abuse the engine is under. If the use of the engine is not much, and extreme temperatures aren't a variable, etcetera, then the service interval is not needed as frequently. If you are driving like you stole it, and you are in Death Valley, you may want to adjust your intervals to be more frequent.

Under normal everyday wear and tear for normal humans... following the recommendation the manual/app provides is good practice. Changing your oil sooner is only going to be better, and slightly more expensive.
If I recall correctly, the algorithm in the Oil Change Indicator/monitor takes all those variables you mentioned into account.

Deleted member 72291

I just did the first oil change in my 4xe at 9800 miles with 23% still left on the oil life. I calculated that was about 4900 ICE miles overall.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
O.K., since you have the 2.0 engine, then it is important that you use 5W30 Full Synthetic oil. As long as it meets the Mil-spec in your owners manual, then you will be just fine. I would also use a Mopar oil filter.
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil in our Wranglers. This is one of the better engine oils, that doesn’t break the bank.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

First Name
Smurf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would also use a Mopar oil filter.
Would your standard Quickie Lube place have those, or should I buy 'em online?

Thanks for all the help, folks! I'll be a grease monkey yet!

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast

IMO, stay away from the quick lube shops. Buy the filter and oil yourself.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation

I purchase my oil from Amazon, and my oil filter from Walmart. Or purchase both from Amazon.

Steel8083

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon
I'm not sure if Your plan changes anything but Jeep Wave on new vehicles gives first 3 oil changes for free
Sponsored