pokerdawg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Hello All -

New to the forum, picked up my Sahara 4xe about a month ago, trading in my 2014 Rubicon.

One feature which we have on my wife's Tesla and kid's CX-5 is adaptive cruise control.

I have it on the 4xe, but it doesn't perform as I would expect...

I use it in traffic and it speeds up, slows down. That part is fine.

But when it comes to a stop, it stops for 3 seconds, alerts that it is deactivating and then shuts off, releases the break and would allow me to roll into the car in front of me (surprised the crap out of me the first time, but fortunately I hit the break before I hit the car).

With all others I've driven, it will stay stopped until the car ahead moves, and then it would start to go.

The MOPAR explanation is that it will stop you and if stopped more than 3 minutes, automatically apply the parking brake.

So ... is it just different on the Jeeps? Is it a setting (I haven't found it) that causes it to deactivate? Kind of a useless feature if it stops you and then releases the brake so you can hit the guy (or gal) in front of you ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sponsored

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That’s how mine is too. No settings for that specifically from what I can tell. Sure beats the Toyotas I’ve driven that shut off any time the speed dips below 28mph though!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
That sucks, the full stop ACC on other makes makes traffic so much better.

Page 194 of the Owner's Manual:
 On vehicles with an automatic transmission,
will bring the vehicle to a
complete stop while following a vehicle
ahead and hold the vehicle for two
seconds in the stop position. If the
vehicle ahead does not start moving
within two seconds the ACC system will
display a message that the system will
release the brakes and that the brakes
must be applied manually. An audible
chime will sound when the brakes are
released.

OP
OP

pokerdawg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Yep,. that's exactly what's going on ... got to be one of the dumbest designs ever. Let's bring you to a stop and then release the brake 2 seconds later because, hey, why would you want to be stopped if the guy in front of you isn't moving?

UGH

Thanks

... and GO GATORS !!!

no.sleep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Billet Silver JLUR 4xe
That’s how mine works too: releases the brakes 2 seconds after the car completely stops.

My guess is they did that to make sure you’re paying attention / awake, but would really love to be able to change how it works.

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Yep. A simple chime or something would have been nice.

OP
OP

pokerdawg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Yep. A simple chime or something would have been nice.
On my wife's Tesla Model Y, it brings you to a full stop, you stayed stop as long as the car in front of you is stopped, and then you go again when they go. I believe the Mazda CX-5 does the same.

The idea of shutting off when stopped - and then letting you roll into the person ahead of you - someone forgot to consult with the lawyers!

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
My 392 works just like that also. My daughters SRT GC does also. A jeep thing.

Sam

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Yep- our GC and JL same thing.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The Jeep ACC isn't very good by modern standards but at least it will do full stop and operate at very slow speeds.

I think the 2 second rule requires less effort/design requirements needed to make it safe.

My complaint with it is the abrupt way it slows down. I had the Jeep shut down on the highway with me when I was overriding the throttle control.

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
The only reason I personally would have wanted ACC was for stop/go traffic and traffic jams. This behavior is the reason I didn't bother ordering the option.

It really is funny and I keep trying to understand why it was designed this way. How that was determined to be safer. It's like ok you've detected an object has stopped and you've stopped along with it. Object is still stopped? Jeep stays stopped. That's not exactly the most complicated computer logic ever. That they actually specifically wrote additional logic like "That object is still stopped, but go ahead and release the brakes". I really wish I knew what the thinking was behind that. Haha.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Likely they are worried about liability from inattentive drivers. I could see someone start to text and not realize they were moving.

We also don't have steering wheel sensors or eye sensors. I think having the wheel sensor for lane assist/keep would at least need to be installed.

Jfk3674

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE Rubicon
Is this a new thing with the brake release? My 2014 Trailhawk has it and it stays at a stop while the ACC is engaged. When the car in front of me went I would hit the resume button and it would start moving again.

dug4xe

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4xe
Is this a new thing with the brake release? My 2014 Trailhawk has it and it stays at a stop while the ACC is engaged. When the car in front of me went I would hit the resume button and it would start moving again.
That's cool, wish mine worked that way. My 2015 Charger and 2018 GC Trailhawk both did/do the two seconds hold at stop, then I get a loud beep, and the brakes release automatically.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Jeep ACC does this too. You can hit the resume button once traffic starts to move. It will go from a dead stop.
Sponsored